Need advices for a good USB audio interface.

Heabow

More cowbell!
Aug 24, 2011
France
Hi,

I bought a new iMac which is a real beast (i7 3.5gHz, 32Go RAM, HD Fusion Drive 1To...) But it also have thunderbolt port only - not firewire anymore on new models - and I work with a Digi003 Rack+ (firewire). I've never had any issue with my former iMac that had a firewire port but now, my system does not work as it supposed to. So I contacted Chris Holmes to get some tech support on this. We tested 2 FW interfaces (DIGI003 and Firestudio) same results. I still have to check that but it seems that adpater firewire/thunderbolt causes some problems (buffer size setting issue -> latency during recording, CPU overload...) MAYBE I will need to get an USB interface. So just in case, I'd like to have some good stuff to look at if I actually need to buy one.

It was not planned so my budget is quite low, say around 500€ is the very VERY maximum. I guess I can get something decent in this price range tho. I need at least 4 good preamps, preferably 8. Great sound and even more important, great stability and great performances latency wise. And a 19" rack format would be preferable. Argh, RME soundcards are awesome but they're also WAY too expensive for me right now.

I don't know nothing about Tascam but I read good words about them. I heard that Motu interfaces are generally great but not that stable...Here are some interfaces I saw, I'd like to have your opinion. Other suggestions are more than welcome!

- Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
- Tascam US-1800
- Tascam US-2000
- Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
- Roland UA-1010 Octa-Capture (this one seems to be great, uh?)
- Motu 8 Pre USB
- Motu Audio Express
- Motu 4 Pre Hybrid
- Motu UltraLite MKIII Hybrid

Thanks in advance Sneapers!

Oh, I work on an iMac OSX 10.8.5 with PT10.3.7.

The only thing I can say here is that I have used one of the older Tascam interfaces (think it was the US-1641) like 5 years ago on a small project and it did it's job just fine.

Thanks man. Yes I read good things on Tascam stuff. I'm currently reading a review of the Roland UA-1010 and this one looks really great. Based on what I read, it would be one of the best in my list.

That's weird. I run my Apogee rosetta's through a firewire > Thunderbolt adapter cable and I've never had a problem.

Weird, yes that's the word! I still have to test my system with an USB interface to see how things run. For the moment, it's the only thing to do. If the problems are not solved, I should maybe do a clean install and install again all my stuff (nooooooooo pleeeeeease!!!!!!!)

The Digi003 is definitely not a great piece of gear. I wonder how better are the USB interfaces I mentionned above. Really much better than it or are they more or less equivalent to it?

I've been so disappointed by anything Digi or Avid it's not even funny.

I've heard the Focusrite scarlet stuff and thought that they sounded pretty bad. Also the tascam stuff is junk. My buddy has one and has had nothing but problems with it.

I think your only really valid options would be the presonus or motu stuff.

Too bad you don't have $2500 to get the UAD apollo with the thunderbolt option….

Or have you thought about getting a thunderbolt expansion dock? Maybe that will work better than the lone adapter. Like this one? http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Belkin/F4U055WW/

Based on its features, I got a Scarlett 2i4 a few days ago (as a secondary interface) and compared to the FF800 I'm hearing more bass through the monitors and less of the rest (less clarity) using moderate volumes, and there's an audible difference through the M50s, with other details. At least for regular audio playback that is; I haven't tried it with a DAW yet as I'm currently having OS/SSD issues, but I'm guessing the same translates there.

I've had a Tascam us 1800 for a few years now and it's pretty good. I've heard the Mac drivers for it are better than the windows driver cause they've been updated more recently.
$280 for 16 in and 4 out is pretty cheap. The built in pre amps aren't anything special. Just like a flat response with no character so if you already have nice pre amps it's good for just inputs.
You know what I mean?

I think your only really valid options would be the presonus or motu stuff.

I'd tend to go for the Motu 8 pre. The Presonus preamps are apparently great but things such as phantom power not available for each track but for group of 4 tracks is annoying sometimes imo. And maybe Motu drivers are more stable too (?)

Too bad you don't have $2500 to get the UAD apollo with the thunderbolt option….

:cry:

Or have you thought about getting a thunderbolt expansion dock? Maybe that will work better than the lone adapter. Like this one? http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Belkin/F4U055WW/

Didn't know this stuff! It looks like a cool stuff indeed but the conclusion of the 2 reviews I just read about it won't make me buy such a thing. Plus using more tools include possibly more issues..

Thanks for your input man!

used Fireface UC?

That was my first thought tbo but it's a little bit out of budget. I can grab one for approx. 650€. BUT RME is known for being very stable and delivering awesome performances so you're right it could be the best option if I can save some more money..

Based on its features, I got a Scarlett 2i4 a few days ago (as a secondary interface) and compared to the FF800 I'm hearing more bass through the monitors and less of the rest (less clarity) using moderate volumes, and there's an audible difference through the M50s, with other details. At least for regular audio playback that is; I haven't tried it with a DAW yet as I'm currently having OS/SSD issues, but I'm guessing the same translates there.

Good to know. Thank you.

I've had a Tascam us 1800 for a few years now and it's pretty good. I've heard the Mac drivers for it are better than the windows driver cause they've been updated more recently.
$280 for 16 in and 4 out is pretty cheap. The built in pre amps aren't anything special. Just like a flat response with no character so if you already have nice pre amps it's good for just inputs.
You know what I mean?

Even so, I want good preamps as I only have a Presonus Eureka and a GAP Pre73. US1800 and US2000 look like they have decent ones but not that great + I don't know nothing about their stability.....

Thanks for your inputs guys, keep chiming in!
I think Focusrite and Tascam stuff are out of the competition now. The Roland UA-1010 and the Motu interfaces still look very interesting. The Presonus 1818VSL has visibly great preamps but for some reasons I wouldn't tend to go for it. Finally and as I already said RME FF UC looks like the best option for me even if it's a bit too expensive for me.

I can grab a Motu 828 MKIII hybrid for 500€ or a Motu 896MKIII hybrid for 750€. What do you guys think?