This is MY CD-R write-up thread.

Erik

New Metal Member
Oct 10, 2001
southernmost voyage
I gots these neat-o CD's from JayKeeley today (thanks!:)

Scald, the Russian Scald I believe (sorry unhinged)
Brocas Helm "Black Death"
Solstice "Halcyon"
The Lord Weird Slough Feg, something about deadmen
Iced Earth "Burnt Offerings" (this'd better thrash)
King Diamond "Abigail"
Cirith Unhol "King of the Dead"

I'll tell you what I think in this here thread later, because that seems to be the trendy thing to do.

:kickass:

I love threads like these. So how are you going to order the listening? I guess it all depends on mood, but Solstice would be a good one to start with I think....

I don't think you would like it J. Brocas Helm is cult underground *heavy metal* from San Fran. It's funny, they release one album every 10 years or so. I think they have 3 albums in total, heh. It's all very 'self-produced'. I also have a rare 7" red vinyl of theirs called Skullfucker or something like that.

J. said:
oh ok, I thought they were some folk metal thing
To simplify it, Brocas Helm have an early Maiden thing going on (but with distinct US flavour), that's why I thought you'd want to steer clear.

However, if you added Jethro Tull to the mix, you'd get something like Slough Feg so that's where the folk connection comes in I guess. (Brocas Helm often comes into any Slough Feg discussion).

Erik said:
Iced Earth "Burnt Offerings" (this'd better thrash)
It's not thrash per se, so do not expect Beneath the Remains or whatever. BUT, it is pretty 'thrashy' if that makes sense. And with your love for all things Maiden + thrash metal, I thought it would be interesting to see your comments.

By the way, some of it can be hit or miss, so don't expect to like every track. You should like the album opener though...

Erik said:
The Lord Weird Slough Feg, something about deadmen
Something about the deadmen, down on the deadman, something about them whoa RA HA!

Slough Feg = win

Cool stuff! Can't wait to read your thoughts....

By the way, I had a feeling that you'd dig Slough Feg. How about the riffs in that opening track, "Sky Chariots", eh? If you ever want to hear them go down the 'old folk road', check out Twilight of the Idols, but of course, all in sweet time.

Brocas Helm, Hammers, Slough Feg....it's all part of the same scene that I have recently fallen in love with in the gay way.