This is why it take a special breed of human being to want to be in a touring band 2

To those who are shocked about the "10 dollars a day" stipend: I read an old interview with King Diamond talking about the 'Fate years. He said each band member was given five dollars a day. I think his quote was "we had to decide if we wanted to buy a pack of smokes or a cheeseburger." Classic.

What, are you serious?

Believe me... there's a good reason why there's not that many shows in Columbus. Turn out is never the greatest, that's the bottom line. A lot of time, promoters and bands ended up losing money trying to put a show there. Want an example? I am in the middle of booking two awesome progressive-power metal package tours for the next few months. Ohio will have a stop for both tours. I checked in Columbus to see if anyone was interested, but the response was the same.. "for some reason, fans don't show up to a lot of the metal shows around here."

Usually "when you're ignored over and over again", you're NOT REALLY BEING IGNORED. This is a business, and as such, it has to make sense for the parties who are putting their money on the line. Now, if you want to try to put together a show in Columbus, let me know. Maybe you can be the game changer in your town.

Plus, why is it that you don't have the ability to go to a show in, say, Cleveland, which is only about 2 hours away?

Boy did you hit the nail on the head. I'm also from the Columbus area and turnout for some shows is pathetic. Now granted, some of the bigger name bands (Megadeth, Slayer) get decent turnouts. But I've been to shows that have had no more then 30-40 people show. I'm talking Mercyful Fate, Flotsam and Jetsam, Therion, and the recent Forbidden show. Last years Overkill tour had maybe 100 people show up. Enslaved is headlining here in November and really interested in seeing the turn out.
If I were a band, I would avoid Columbus like the plague.
Is this tour hitting any part of Ohio? I'm interested in what you are putting together.

God Damn! $10 a day?!? I hope the promoter at least threw them a sandwich at the venue.
Lots of times, that 1 sanwich gets divided by the whole band, unfortunately.

And don't get me started with touring members being vegan.
That's just as big a pain in the ass as some of the promoter's bullshit!

i was stopping at In N Out Burger EVERYDAY we were in cali.
YES! :headbang:

"we had to decide if we wanted to buy a pack of smokes or a cheeseburger." Classic.
Classic, indeed. I'm way too familiar with that exact scenario!

Boy did you hit the nail on the head. I'm also from the Columbus area and turnout for some shows is pathetic. Now granted, some of the bigger name bands (Megadeth, Slayer) get decent turnouts. But I've been to shows that have had no more then 30-40 people show. I'm talking Mercyful Fate, Flotsam and Jetsam, Therion, and the recent Forbidden show. Last years Overkill tour had maybe 100 people show up. Enslaved is headlining here in November and really interested in seeing the turn out.
If I were a band, I would avoid Columbus like the plague.
Is this tour hitting any part of Ohio? I'm interested in what you are putting together.
Just from my experiences in Columbus, it seems like there's more of a market for punk rock out there, and even those shows don't have big turnouts. I played in Columbus with a band I was touring with twice in 2009 (I think the venue was called Bernie's) and the first show had about 100 people, which a friend of mine who lives in Columbus said was very unusual. Six months later, same band & same venue, about 30 people in attendance, which I assumed was because we were just there a few months ago, but my friend said that is what a "normal Columbus show" is like.

oh FYI

the breakfast buffet at Freds Southern Kitchen is $5 monday - friday and just kept us full, ALL DAY. now i have $5 more for tomorrow~!

Bands need to eat at all you can eat buffets and bring BIG purses (luckly we have a woman in the band) and GALLON storage bags.

you can actually eat for like two days on one buffet visit ;)

oh FYI

the breakfast buffet at Freds Southern Kitchen is $5 monday - friday and just kept us full, ALL DAY. now i have $5 more for tomorrow~!

Bands need to eat at all you can eat buffets and bring BIG purses (luckly we have a woman in the band) and GALLON storage bags.

you can actually eat for like two days on one buffet visit ;)

haha you have a great attitude on touring man!

DemonOfTheWoods and eppst1 simply corroborated my statement about the Columbus, OH area. Thanks guys. I would love to hear what Rockbox1590 has to say now, as I wait to hear why it's so difficult to get on the road and go watch a show 2 hours away.

2 hours is a pretty long drive in the middle of the week. I know I've missed out on some good shows in Athens, which is only 90 minutes away, just because I need the sleep to function at work the next day.

2 hours is a pretty long drive in the middle of the week. I know I've missed out on some good shows in Athens, which is only 90 minutes away, just because I need the sleep to function at work the next day.

I agree...I've skipped good shows in Raleigh & Charlotte that seem to always fall on Mondays and Tuesdays because of work/sleep...both are about 90 minutes from me.

However, Opeth/Katatonia is on a Thursday and I work half-day Fridays anyway....I'm going to try and make that one. :devil:

Weekend shows are doable.

Plus bro, I am sorry, but anyone who wants to really call themselves a "supporter" of the scene, make the friggin' sacrifice. If you can't drive a friggin' hour away to see a show EVER, don't you dare whining about a tour not coming closer to you. (and I don't mean you specifically, Brian)

Just think of the sacrifice some of these bands do in order to bring their music to YOU.

Weekend shows are doable.

Plus bro, I am sorry, but anyone who wants to really call themselves a "supporter" of the scene, make the friggin' sacrifice. If you can't drive a friggin' hour away to see a show EVER, don't you dare whining about a tour not coming closer to you. (and I don't mean you specifically, Brian)

Just think of the sacrifice some of these bands do in order to bring their music to YOU.

lol the closest place to us is an hour away at club Firestone. I go to shows there at least 2-5 times a month. most of them are during the week too.

I agree...I've skipped good shows in Raleigh & Charlotte that seem to always fall on Mondays and Tuesdays because of work/sleep...both are about 90 minutes from me.

However, Opeth/Katatonia is on a Thursday and I work half-day Fridays anyway....I'm going to try and make that one. :devil:

*Shameless Self Plug Mode On*

Lucky for you the Uniting the Powers of Metal Tour, presented by Intromental Worldwide, Sabatur Audio and BWBK falls on a Thursday in Raleigh, NC. The show will feature Seven Kingdoms, Creation's End, Widow and Artizan. You should definitely try to make it. :lol:

*Shameless Self Plug Mode Off*

You have no idea how proud I am of my Seven Kingdoms boys and girl. :lol: They make our lives so much easier with their values on "eating on the road."

:lol:

you have no idea what we did on the guardian tour with food. hahaha

Im pretty sure that cupcake was from Golden Coral, and the sandwich on holy grails van was left over bread and meat from BG's table scraps. haha

Last edited by a moderator:
See? In the AeonicSlumber scale of Bronyness, you are a 0, which means NOT a brony. :lol:

I mean, I'd like to think it's the international worldwide scale of bronyness that someone who doesn't jock the new My Little Pony show just to be ironic gets a 0 and those that do get a 100000. It's seriously the most annoying subculture ever.

*Shameless Self Plug Mode On*

Lucky for you the Uniting the Powers of Metal Tour, presented by Intromental Worldwide, Sabatur Audio and BWBK falls on a Thursday in Raleigh, NC. The show will feature Seven Kingdoms, Creation's End, Widow and Artizan. You should definitely try to make it. :lol:

*Shameless Self Plug Mode Off*

Sounds like a good idea, actually. I know the Widow guys...good band.