This Thread Is Dedicated To 2007

Countess, Faustcoven, The Lamp Of Thoth, Solomon Kane, Megiddo...tons of shit, I just have to remember it all.

(Future releases btw)

Oh, haha, I saw Megiddo and was like "WTF?!" then saw the bit in brackets. When is this out? This'll no doubt be great.

Well it's certainly not guaranteed to be out, but it seems about the time...thought ChorazaiM makes a point of saying "it will be finished when it's finished," so he's certainly not rushing anything. They are working on it, though, last I heard.

47l4ff8.jpg

Available @ Hellride. :kickass:

My comments on 2007 so far:

The upcoming Grails album, Burning Off Impurities, sounds great.

I hear the new Trouble won't be available at the gig on Wednesday. Fuck that.

I just got the new Brant Bjork solo album Tres Dias in today, and it is really good.

HM-3361lg.jpg

Beehoover - The Sun Behind The Dustbin (Exile On Mainstream)

The list of really good guitarless rock bands is pretty short. Actually the list of guitarless bands in general is pretty damn short in and of itself. I harken back to the late, great Morphine which featured a two-string bass, drums, sax and occasional piano and made some genius music back in the ‘90’s. But that’s about all that hits me. Man that was a great band.

So it’s hard not to think of Morphine when I hear Germany’s Beehoover, although there is little in common with the music in either other than a shared love for stark minimalism. The former combined blues and jazz to score their genius, where Beehoover take the early non-conformist leanings of the early Stoner movement ( I hear a lot of the late, great Beaver here as well as fellow-countrymen Colour Haze), the eccentric rhythms of Krautrock and mesh it with a free-flow jazz approach. The result is very different from virtually everything else I hear on a daily basis. Beehoover is minimalist rhythmic dynamite.

I should also note that the two fellows that comprise Beehoover, are also the rhythm section in famed German doom rockers, Voodooshock. I think this fact has prejudiced many reviewers minds, because I keep reading that Beehoover is “doom-jazz” and other nonsense. I think that term belongs solely to Bohren & Der Club of Gore and no one else. The music of Beehoover can create stark and barren songscapes, most notably on the title track, but I hear little doom metal influence here. Plus vocalist/singer Ingmar Petersen sounds wayyy to happy for doom. Make that happy or crazy. Some of those abstract lyrics and that manic delivery…

In short, Beehoover is really something I can safely say that is both unique and enjoyable, especially if you’re a fan of creative drum/bass interplay and exceptional songwriting skills. Great stuff.

Review & Sample here

HM-3361lg.jpg

Beehoover - The Sun Behind The Dustbin (Exile On Mainstream)

The list of really good guitarless rock bands is pretty short. Actually the list of guitarless bands in general is pretty damn short in and of itself. I harken back to the late, great Morphine which featured a two-string bass, drums, sax and occasional piano and made some genius music back in the ‘90’s. But that’s about all that hits me. Man that was a great band.

So it’s hard not to think of Morphine when I hear Germany’s Beehoover, although there is little in common with the music in either other than a shared love for stark minimalism. The former combined blues and jazz to score their genius, where Beehoover take the early non-conformist leanings of the early Stoner movement ( I hear a lot of the late, great Beaver here as well as fellow-countrymen Colour Haze), the eccentric rhythms of Krautrock and mesh it with a free-flow jazz approach. The result is very different from virtually everything else I hear on a daily basis. Beehoover is minimalist rhythmic dynamite.

I should also note that the two fellows that comprise Beehoover, are also the rhythm section in famed German doom rockers, Voodooshock. I think this fact has prejudiced many reviewers minds, because I keep reading that Beehoover is “doom-jazz” and other nonsense. I think that term belongs solely to Bohren & Der Club of Gore and no one else. The music of Beehoover can create stark and barren songscapes, most notably on the title track, but I hear little doom metal influence here. Plus vocalist/singer Ingmar Petersen sounds wayyy to happy for doom. Make that happy or crazy. Some of those abstract lyrics and that manic delivery…

In short, Beehoover is really something I can safely say that is both unique and enjoyable, especially if you’re a fan of creative drum/bass interplay and exceptional songwriting skills. Great stuff.

Review & Sample here
Guitar-less music rules! :kickass:

I'll have to check this one out. I don't think I've heard anything from 2007 yet, whoops. I've been out of the loop lately.

Pretty much more of the same, but I feel it's a bit darker and less jolly-folkish than "Nattfödd".

I much prefer Nattfodd to the new one, which I found mostly quite boring (but with a couple of really good tracks). I listened to Finntroll in the past because of their unique style, so moving away from that isn't a good move IMO.