This year will be my first PP Festival

Dan Conner

Healing Subconsciously
Jan 28, 2008
Nashville, TN
I am incredibly excited! I am sure many of you know Brand Spragins. Brand is a very close friend of mine and he has finally gotten me to commit to come with him after trying for the last 3-4 years. I must tell you that I was a bit hesitant at first, but I have fallen in love with metal all over again. I was a huge metal fan back in the day, but the glam thing really turned me off. I was blown away when Brand gave me an Evergrey and I was immediately hooked again.

I am super pumped about seeing Volbeat....that is the exact type of metal I like. I am also thrilled to see Jon Oliva. Brand has talking him up ever since I told him I would go. When he told me that he was the singer for Savatage, I went back in the vaults and found some old stuff. I remembered them from their hey day and am very excited to see him again.

I look forward to seeing the show! What should I except as a newbie?

Dan

Hey Dan,

Glad to see you on here. I am really looking forward to you joining me this year. I think you will be very impressed with the line-up, concert experience as well as the group of people. I have said it before and I will say it again, the people here at PP are like a second family. There are no strangers. Everyone is friendly and willing to help. I will introduce you to Glenn, he is the man and is the reason I listen to this type of music.

I look forward to seeing everyone again in September.

Dan, I promise you will have a GREAT TIME!!!

Brand

Welcome Dan, don't be shy about asking anyone anything, and don't be shocked if you see a lady dressed in bubble wrap that is just our own little metal rose, and if you see some guys running around in kilts, don't be surprised, that is just Hoyt and hopefully myself. and for gosh sakes watch out for Biffle. Again welcome to the family.

Welcome brotha! You will have a great time. I had to miss last year and I am doing everything in my power to not miss it again. I missed my PP friends and don't want to have to go through it again this year.

Hey Dan,

YOU WILL MEET METAL ROSE FOR SURE. She is one of my favorites and I love her to death. She is an amazing person inside and out. So Metal, You better have some love for the PP newbie.

Brand

I guess you need to by Brand a drink at the show. If he has the PPUSA V: Behind the Scenes DVD, you should watch it as homework before the show. Remember, no mosh pits!

Excellent, another Nashville area minion.

Last year was my first time: had a blast.

2 friends from the Nashville area here had been road-tripping it for several years, and last year schedules finally aligned so I was able to attend with them. One of them had an extra ticket, so I dragged an old buddy from Memphis along too.

I've only recently (mid-2006 or so) "rediscovered" fresh metal made after 1991 or so too. I never quit metal, I just thought that metal had quit on me. I was listening to all my "classics" over and over wearing them out :)

Hey Dan,

YOU WILL MEET METAL ROSE FOR SURE.

You know, I realize that I've yet to actually meet Metal Rose, despite having been five times... Maybe one of these years I'll stop being a timid introvert. :)

For the original question, I only have, like, two and a half suggestions:

- GOOD EARPLUGS. A good pair of musician-grade earplugs is like $25 and won't horribly screw up the sound like cheap ones.
- Pace yourself. Especially if you go to the pre-show show. There's plenty of metal for everyone, don't drive yourself to complete exhaustion 30 minutes into set #1.
- Read the aforementioned newbie threads...

I am incredibly excited! I am sure many of you know Brand Spragins. Brand is a very close friend of mine and he has finally gotten me to commit to come with him after trying for the last 3-4 years. I must tell you that I was a bit hesitant at first, but I have fallen in love with metal all over again. I was a huge metal fan back in the day, but the glam thing really turned me off. I was blown away when Brand gave me an Evergrey and I was immediately hooked again.

I am super pumped about seeing Volbeat....that is the exact type of metal I like. I am also thrilled to see Jon Oliva. Brand has talking him up ever since I told him I would go. When he told me that he was the singer for Savatage, I went back in the vaults and found some old stuff. I remembered them from their hey day and am very excited to see him again.

I look forward to seeing the show! What should I except as a newbie?

Dan
You can expect to have your metal world rocked all over again! :headbang: This will be my 6th straight PPUSA, and I've loved every one of them! Enjoy! We salute you!:kickass:

I am planning on bringing another friend this year who's never been to the festival. Last year, I took another noob to the fest and he loved it!

This will be my 3rd PP and let me tell ya, it truly is a family... Everyone is just plain awesome and it is truly a great time ~ and you'll meet a ton of people and you'll come back next year and say 'I know I met you but I can't remember your name' :D

You know, I realize that I've yet to actually meet Metal Rose, despite having been five times... Maybe one of these years I'll stop being a timid introvert. :)

Ahaha, yeah, my first year was last PP, and I saw Metalrose around, but never said anything to her. I was also afraid to talk to Curufin. :ill:

To the OP: I don't really have any suggestions that haven't already been said. But if you're going with friends, it does help! And ProgPower is like potato chips - you can't stop at just one! So prepare to save up each and every year from this point on. :D

Welcome Dan, don't be shy about asking anyone anything, and don't be shocked if you see a lady dressed in bubble wrap that is just our own little metal rose, and if you see some guys running around in kilts, don't be surprised, that is just Hoyt and hopefully myself. and for gosh sakes watch out for Biffle. Again welcome to the family.

Hey now, Bubble wrap was so 2 years ago! :)

Don't be shy! I maybe always running around and all over the place and dragging men around, literally, but I'm only a legend in my own mind! I love meeting new people!

I don't introduce myself a lot, because to be honest, it's probably easier for people to spot me than it is for me to spot others... Coconut bra, chain malle, bright purple hair, etc... I'm kind of hard to miss. /ego dropped now

Hey Dan,

YOU WILL MEET METAL ROSE FOR SURE. She is one of my favorites and I love her to death. She is an amazing person inside and out. So Metal, You better have some love for the PP newbie.

Brand

Dan-

Any friend of Brands is a friend of mine! I'm sure I'll get a chance to meet you, but don't disturb me during Amorphis. Fair warning! Oh yeah, and I hug and declare shennagins a lot.

Welcome!

Dave-

You better be good this year or I'll shave your ass and pecker and glue the remnants to your freshly shorn head. (I would have said my pubes, but you would've liked that too much.)

-MetalRose