Those who play/program alot of keys/synths/etc.

JonWormwood

Jun 16, 2007
Jax, Fl
I've always just used reason becuase it was simple and pretty cheap but I want something that isn't as 'plastic' sounding for the 'album' :ill:

I was thinking about getting some hardware to run the MIDI through (I don't really play, just program) I read the Roland JV rack modules (1080 and 2080) are fantastic for what I'm doing and very warm at that. They are pretty cheap on ebay too (250-350)

I don't know shit about it though, just some stuff I read at progsounds.com :lol:

What do you guys recommend? Try out some different soft synths or go for some hardware?

Oh snap I see the question! Honestly I haven't heard enough modules to make that kind of assesment. I have heard a few like the mini moog, micro korg, and some other old looking synths :lol:.

I think they have mojo, there is just something about tangible knobs. Even with Reason, using my 88 pro with all of it's knobs, it's just nice to not look at the screen and tweak until you find something you like.

I think software sounds good as well. I think the synths in Reason are good unless they are trying to emulate something (like strings or piano). You could check out Arturia, I have analog factory SE (software) and like that a lot. I'm thinking of picking up the full version.

The one thing that I do think though is, reason sounds need help. I find 95% of the time that you can't just pull up subtractor or NN-XT load a patch and be done with it. Usually tweaks within the module and other shit like compressors, scream, eq, etc... need to be put on as well.

I don't really know what I am getting at here. Honestly there are demos. Trying out some synths shouldn't be to hard if you have a Guitar Center around, although the one I last went to only had fantoms and motif shit.

the Roland JV series are really good. you can't go wrong with them. what i would suggest you do is run you output of your synth into a tube preamp and then into your interface.

Oh snap I see the question! Honestly I haven't heard enough modules to make that kind of assesment. I have heard a few like the mini moog, micro korg, and some other old looking synths :lol:.

I think they have mojo, there is just something about tangible knobs. Even with Reason, using my 88 pro with all of it's knobs, it's just nice to not look at the screen and tweak until you find something you like.

I think software sounds good as well. I think the synths in Reason are good unless they are trying to emulate something (like strings or piano). You could check out Arturia, I have analog factory SE (software) and like that a lot. I'm thinking of picking up the full version.

The one thing that I do think though is, reason sounds need help. I find 95% of the time that you can't just pull up subtractor or NN-XT load a patch and be done with it. Usually tweaks within the module and other shit like compressors, scream, eq, etc... need to be put on as well.

I don't really know what I am getting at here. Honestly there are demos. Trying out some synths shouldn't be to hard if you have a Guitar Center around, although the one I last went to only had fantoms and motif shit.

Well see I'm sorta on a budget obviously (~300-500) so getting a whole board is out of league and I don't even play, I just need something to run MIDI through.

And Yeah, I've really learned alot using the combinator in Reason. Takes 4-5 devices to get what I want, combining a few wave forms, scream, blah blah.

the Roland JV series are really good. you can't go wrong with them. what i would suggest you do is run you output of your synth into a tube preamp and then into your interface.

I'd though about warming up Reason that way too, I've read even running it through a clean tube amp and recording it can help it out a lot.

+1 to this. I had a JV module (don't remember which...it was stolen several years ago). I still miss that thing. It had a lot of useable and beautiful sounds.

I've always just used reason becuase it was simple and pretty cheap but I want something that isn't as 'plastic' sounding for the 'album' :ill:

I was thinking about getting some hardware to run the MIDI through (I don't really play, just program) I read the Roland JV rack modules (1080 and 2080) are fantastic for what I'm doing and very warm at that. They are pretty cheap on ebay too (250-350)

I don't know shit about it though, just some stuff I read at progsounds.com :lol:

What do you guys recommend? Try out some different soft synths or go for some hardware?

What sound are you looking for?

Analog warmth?
Epic atmospheres and or strings?
Blips and blops?
Realistic or digital toy sounds?

Reason sounds to stale to me.
Most the Roland module's sound to digital in an old way. IMO

I use to have the xp-50 Keyboard and i loved it. I sold it for an Alesis QS-7 because a music store salesman told me it was much better, and regreted that decision, i still have the Alesis and a Korg triton rack. if you can find a triton rack off of ebay for $500, you'll thank me.

What sound are you looking for?

Analog warmth?
Epic atmospheres and or strings?
Blips and blops?
Realistic or digital toy sounds?

Reason sounds to stale to me.
Most the Roland module's sound to digital in an old way. IMO

Typical metal key stuff in the vein of Wintersun, Kalmah, Bodom, Norther, Yngwie, Kamelot, Stratovarous etc etc.

I use to have the xp-50 Keyboard and i loved it. I sold it for an Alesis QS-7 because a music store salesman told me it was much better, and regreted that decision, i still have the Alesis and a Korg triton rack. if you can find a triton rack off of ebay for $500, you'll thank me.

Do they typically go for $500 or is that in rare lucky instances? I've heard the XP boards are awesome.

Tho, I hate it (still have one on loan to a friend) Korg Triton looks like what your looking for. Spectrasonics Omnisphere can do just about everything and a whole lot more than most synths.

The better option.
http://www.spectrasonics.net/instruments/omnisphere.html

I think I saw your trhead about this, looks awesome but it's sooooo fucking much. How does it compare to reason?

How come you hate the Triton, Social?

+1

Another module I found was the Roland XV series which include all the JV shit and go for as cheap as 250 on ebay.

Omni vs Reason? Worlds apart. All I can say is listen/watch to/the Omni vids. Reason will sound like a cheap toy after.

I don't like the Triton because it sounds like a Triton. Seems like no matter how much you edit, it maintains it's "in the box" Triton sound.

Don't take what I'm saying to much into consideration. Any of those sample play back preset modules will work for your needs.

I like synths that are truly editable and can create complex sounds.

I don't like the Triton because it sounds like a Triton. Seems like no matter how much you edit, it maintains it's "in the box" Triton sound.

Don't take what I'm saying to much into consideration. Any of those sample play back preset modules will work for your needs.

it all depends on how you're using it. i haven't had that problem. the thing i Love about the triton is it's straight forward, sounds great and it's a mod. if my pc crashes, my synth still works. and yea they go for $450 to $700. but they are worth that.

it all depends on how you're using it. i haven't had that problem. the thing i Love about the triton is it's straight forward, sounds great and it's a mod. if my pc crashes, my synth still works. and yea they go for $450 to $700. but they are worth that.

Expand: :kickass:

Would like to see some ideas. :headbang:

I think there are plenty of soft synths that sound great and could get the job done. Absynth, Vanguard, Sylenth1, Crystal, Chameleon 5000, etc.

I know this isn't metal but check this out and all the other Korg triton videos on youtube......
most of them are on the full workstation but you can do the same on the rack
check out this comparison between the rolan and the triton

Last edited by a moderator: