Thoughts on a couple guitars?

sjcortese

Jan 22, 2010
Anyone have any experience with the Charvel desolation ds1-st models? Heading out to a local shop within the next week to check them out. Maybe someone has some feedback on build quality versus the LTD ec1000 deluxe models. Those are the other guitars I'm going to go look at. I've never played either one so I wanna have a look at them both. Unfortunately I'll have to visit a couple shops because no one around has both. Any thoughts appreciated.

~Scott

To my understanding, the Desolations are made in China or Indonesia, so I'd expect the LTD Deluxes to be better quality on average.

Either way, TBH, I haven't played one of those Charvels, but the LTD Deluxe series I've played have all been pretty solid.

Yeah LTD Deluxe guitars are great. I owned one. The difference between them and the ESP's is not that big, compared e.g Gibson/Epiphone.

I've tried a Charvel Desolation DX-1.

Great guitar IMO. I really liked the feel of it.

Not too mention, the one I tried in transparent blue had a really nice finish.

I didn't think the build quality was that bad IIRC, but then again, I only played it for a bit. In terms of feel I remember the neck being thin. IDK how I could describe it.

I've tried a couple of LTD EC's and LTD MH's, deluxe series, and they are also great guitars.

I honestly think both series are pretty comparable in terms of quality. I don't remember where the Charvel was built when I tried it, but if they are truly from China or Indonesia, it's pretty hit or miss from my experience. I've tried the new Jackson Pro Series Soloist built in Indonesia and I loved it.

Honestly can't go wrong with either choice. Both are well made guitars. I think it depends mostly on what pickups you want (Blackouts vs. EMG/Dimarzio's) and the neck profile.

Thanks for the responses!

I'll look at the Charvel but if the neck is thin then that might be a bit of a turn off. Hopefully it's not Ibanez RG thin and I hope the LTD ec1000 deluxes are a bit closer to what I want since that's the one I'm leaning towards but I want to give both a shot.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the responses!

I'll look at the Charvel but if the neck is thin then that might be a bit of a turn off. Hopefully it's not Ibanez RG thin and I hope the LTD ec1000 deluxes are a bit closer to what I want since that's the one I'm leaning towards but I want to give both a shot.

Thanks again!
Hey, I just did a bit more research to help you out.

So it turns out that when I tried the "Desolation" a year ago I actually tried a Pro Mod guitar, a blue San Dimas with a maple neck to be exact. I don't know how I mixed them up. I think I assumed that because it was a cheaper guitar for Charvel's standards that it was Charvel's cheaper brand. Ignore my earlier post concerning the Desolation's I have zero experience with them.

If I have my facts straight, Pro Mod guitars are of better quality than Desolation guitars. Pro Mod's only come in Strat shapes though.

In terms of Desolation vs. LTD Deluxe... IMO it appears that the Deluxe's are the better quality guitars. I haven't played a Deluxe that I didn't like. The Desolation series just seems "off" to me. Like the guitars seem cheap.

Especially when comparing the Desolation you have in mind to the Deluxe LTD's...I feel that the LTD's look nicer and appear to be of higher quality.

Charvel's are known for mostly "fast" necks so if thin necks are a turnoff to you then I'd take the LTD Deluxe.

IDK, my opinion now isn't so much an educated opinion as it is just a gut feeling, haha. Either way, I hope this helps.

The charvel uses smaller (regular jumbo) frets and has a compound radius fret board and even the singlecuts are strat scale (25.5"). To my knowledge they're pretty identical to jackson necks. They're thinner than EC necks but certainly not ibanez thin.
edit: the promod stuff is great. Realistically, that series is more comparable price-wise (and thus expectation-wise) to the 1000 level ltd stuff. The very top of the Desolation line has a lower MSRP than an EC401.