What are your thoughts on this guitar? (GibbyLP)

AD Chaos

MGTOW
Aug 3, 2009
Came across this model a couple of days ago -app they're all Studio-, and the finish (at least in the pic) seems quite nice:

125811464-front-l.jpg

Since the LPs are such popular axes and the prices have basically slashed in half or more, I wanted to ask your opinions (from people who have actually owned these recent models and/or previous ones, or even high-end ones) how do all these guitars hold up against their LTD/ESP counterparts, or in general as a metal axe, given the fact that these are also mahogany body-neck? The guitar in the pic costs double as much as others, and app it's just because of the color and the hardcase? :guh:

This models have caught my eye since I don't like bindings, and the prices on these gtrs were (IIRC) almost 2k not long ago, so they've basically slashed the price down to less than half.. any particular reason for that?

Thanks much for your attention and your opinions.

Owned a nice one with a natural finish about twenty years ago. Remember it being one of the easiest playing guitars I've ever owned.

Have played two LPs since and they both played just as easily.

If I were in the market for a "rock" guitar, I wouldn't think twice about picking up an LP, especially if it were on sale.

Yeah I frequently see the Gybbys referred to as 'rock' guitars, but wouldn't a pickup replacement be just about enough to make them as metal as ESPs or other brands? Or is something else going on there..

EDIt_woops I just read the body on these is chambered.. Guess that's a no for metal then, right?
I once played an Epi Ultra (I), also chambered, and even though I didn't get to put it in front of a real amp, it's lightness and comfort felt really awesome.. Like I could play that guitar for hours on end with such ease :) Very light, but still with an adequate center of gravity IIRC.
Any other Gibsons I've played were higher end ones, heavier in comparison and with necks just too damn thick, especially for when standing up (at least IMO)

Gibson guitars can do metal just as well as anything else. Pickups, pickups, pickups...

I own a Gibson Explorer which was made just 2-3 years ago. I love it, wouldn't sell or trade it for anything. I put EMGs in it and it was good to go for heavy shit.

Indeed, also this dude always made me want to really pull the trigger (no pun intended) on one:

IMG_WADissec03.jpg

So now that these Studios are cheaper, I'm considering it. But I'm guessing the chambered body (as much as I liked it) would be a problem?

No way I'd pay that much for a studio. You can pick up the regular finished ones for like $600 on the used market. $1000 more for a fancy paint job is definitely not worth it. You could get a used Standard for that much. I know you don't like binding, but the Studios are pretty poor guitars compared to what else you can get at the same price range. I'd take an Agile with upgraded pickups over a Studio any day of the week.

Doesn't solve your binding issue, but if you're looking for a more "metal" looking guitar, in the Les Paul shape, check out the ESP Eclipse II. Better wood, better hardware, better electronics, better pickups, better quality than any Studio I've ever played; and it's the same price as the Studio.

Where are you based?
Thomann (in Germany) do some special edition Les Paul Studios that are great. They have a satin finish that makes a huge difference to the tone.

I bought two and would recommend this one:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_lp_studio_50_tribute_we_tm.htm

Selling brand new for 645 eur/ £540.

They're aren't brilliantly made but are good enough for the price. Just send it to a good tech and spend £100 to get it playing nicely. The stock pickups are the same that come as standard in a LP Custom. They're nice for rock but don't do metal. Swap em out.

Go for a 90's studio. Some of them have ebony boards. They are weight relieved mahogany. Almost all USA model Gibson LP's have been weight relieved since the 80's. What are called "swiss cheese" holes are put into the body.

The chambered ones are more hollowed out.

scroll down in this link to see x rays:
http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_forum/index.php?showtopic=35014

The 90's studios with ebony boards were probably the best Gibson Studios they put out.

Every guitar is different though and buying from Sweetwater is good because I'm pretty sure you can return if you dont like it.

-John

Once I tried a Gothic (although it was an Epi) and the balance was terrible (heavy on the headstock and arm). That guitar felt lifeless, and the reviews on that series don't help the case much. Of course I might have just gotten a bad one ;)
The fingerboards on the one I posted is ''Black Obeche'', which apparently is not even a real guitar wood :lol:
Ebony boards are also my usual choice, indeed. Buying from Trolllman is not much of an option as I live across the pond (that 50's Tribute looks really beautiful, though).
I could shell out more for a higher end one, but only if I knew it would be nice quality.

plus 1 for the goth series!

I have the explorer and had the les paul for a while, both are beasts! Especially since they have great balance and i just love the ebony fretboard without inlays (only moon crest at 12th).
If you can score a secondhand goth les paul, go for it! It's wicked and so much better then the goth epi series.

Mind you, the matte finish gets shiny in a while, get ready for shiny areas underneath the pickups.

Thank you guys- I'm still looking for my ''Nº1'' I think (even though I have 4 gts and one bass). I've been back and forth in between LTD-ESP-Gibson.. More so since I have to order it w/o trying it out first :(
Almost got the EC-1000 vintage black a month ago, but the matte finish and the bindings are things I'm not really fond of.

played a studio the other day with p90s and it sounded and felt great - it was one of those new studios with binding on the body.

I got an unfinished Edwards (without pickups) for $500...best guitar I have, really better than my Gibson SG and miles ahead better than most guitars I've played. You could check one of these out too.

I got an unfinished Edwards (without pickups) for $500...best guitar I have, really better than my Gibson SG and miles ahead better than most guitars I've played. You could check one of these out too.

^i'm glad you mentioned this. Some of the Japanese gibson copies are amazing guitars. I've always had a soft spot for MIJ guitars, they just know how to do things right!

I've never had an Edwards but from reputation it seems a no brainer, best bang for buck you can have for such guitars from what i've heard, might be interesting to search in their model list !

+1 to the Edwards. I used to have an E-LP-92SD, AWESOME guitar. Easily gave much more expensive Gibsons a run for their money.