Hendrix - what are your thoughts?

in my opinion he is the greatest guitar player... not the greatest singer though... its sad though that we only remember him after he died...

VadimVon said:
:lol: Yeah, yeah, go ahead on and backtrack on that bullshit, little girl!:lol: :lol: :lol:
Jimi is a legend, and not an overrated one - who else did what he was doing before or during his time? Who else fucked with a piece of shit Fender whammy and made it do THAT while managing to somehow stay in tune? Who do you think was the first guy to intentionally incorporate fingertapping into his playing? Van fucking Halen??? Who else purposely used live and studio feedback to his advantage to create such soundscapes as Hendrix did? Even in your weak response you somehow manage to backtrack on your own words. "not talented", but "talented"? Its so laughable to see a pretentious dweeb with no life try to justify himself while ripping on not just one, but TWO guitar legends at the same time!

You know what else is funny? You calling other people losers because they post their opinions on a message board, yet you are here doing THE EXACT SAME THING.

Fucking hypocrite...

That said, Hendrix revolutionized the way the electric guitar was utilized, and he deserves A LOT of respect for that. Others, however, perfected it.

I respect his music a lot more than i like it, and i like it a lot. He is definetally not overrated, your favourite bands are overrated, Hendrix was an absolute guitar god. He was very innovative when it comes to heaviness, he was the first to play really loud and heavy riffs. His singing was kinda peculiar but i love it, lots of emotion and bluesy tone, who needs more?
Soundmaster (and everyone): Basically dont bother with "greatest hits", they are generally unfair for every artist. Get "Are You Experienced?" and "Electric Ladyland" and witness guitar magic.

VadimVon said:
but ONE guitar legends at the same time!

Dimebag isn't a legend, all he did was spawn tasteless nu-metal, and Panter was a terrible band, so bland.

Ex-cally-boo said:
He was not as talented as most people thought, his technique was VERY sloppy.

You're thinking of the wrong Jim. Mr. Page was very sloppy, if not sloppier.

LadyValerie said:
You're thinking of the wrong Jim. Mr. Page was very sloppy, if not sloppier.

Not only is that not true, but the comparison is actually irrelevant.

Dee Snarl said:
Hendrix was the man.

The best guitarist ever. He codified what rock guitar could/should sound like.

The first (only) three Jimi Hendrix Experience albums are absolutely essential for any serious rock fan.

Start with Are You Experienced?

Then Axis: Bold As Love, and Electric Ladyland.

Jimi did 4 albums, but he died making the last one, but it was released. It's called the First Rays of the New Rising Sun.

LadyValerie said:
Jimi did 4 albums, but he died making the last one, but it was released. It's called the First Rays of the New Rising Sun.

Yeah, but it's not a Jimi Hendrix Experience album. I'm also not talking about Band of Gypsys, etc.

The essential Hendrix documents, IMO, are the three Jimi Hendrix Experience albums.

The other stuff's good too, but not of the same caliber....

Haha the level of sycophancy in this thread makes me laugh. Stop sucking up to bullshit poseurs like Hendrix you morons.

There are dozens of technically better players than him around, and there were in his day, Alvin Lee anyone? Ooo, ooo he innovated cos he used feedback, big wank. I can play with my fucking tongue everybody, look I can get stoned and it turns my playing to shit, but nobody cares cos they're all wasted, in fact in 30 years people will think that's deliberate innovation.

Nobody would give a flying fuck about Hendrix if...
  • He wasn't a drug addled worthless hippy piece of shit
  • Acid rock wasn't one of the flavours du jour of the Woodstock crowd
  • He wasn't black
  • He wasn't dead

Blodsmert said:
Haha the level of sycophancy in this thread makes me laugh. Stop sucking up to bullshit poseurs like Hendrix you morons.

There are dozens of technically better players than him around, and there were in his day, Alvin Lee anyone? Ooo, ooo he innovated cos he used feedback, big wank. I can play with my fucking tongue everybody, look I can get stoned and it turns my playing to shit, but nobody cares cos they're all wasted, in fact in 30 years people will think that's deliberate innovation.

Nobody would give a flying fuck about Hendrix if...
  • He wasn't a drug addled worthless hippy piece of shit
  • Acid rock wasn't one of the flavours du jour of the Woodstock crowd
  • He wasn't black
  • He wasn't dead

I bet it took you at least 4 hours to write that post.

Life Sucks said:
I don't necessarily think he is overrated, and he was a phenominal guitarist. However, his style of music is not my cup of tea. I still have great respect for his work, though.

My thoughts exactly. He isnt my cup of tea at all, but you'd have to be deaf to claim that he wasn't very talented - especially during the time in which he recorded.