your thoughts on Hendrix?

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
When I discovered Glenn Hughes last year, my interest in hard rock/metal with a twist of funk/groove was definitely piqued.

So it dawned on me to dig through my collection and give another listen to the one Hendrix disc I own (a hits collection). Now I've had this for years but never really listened to it - i think I bought it for nothing more than Purple Haze.

Anyway, yesterday, after giving it another listen - a real listen - it blew me away.

With that said, I'm really considering checking out his actual albums - particularly one of his many live albums. Any recommendations?

Also, I never even knew he had a band AFTER the Experience named Band of Gypsies, which was, apparently, way more funked-out.

Anyone familiar with this?

I have one of the collections. He has some definitively moments and his contribution to guitar playing and blues/rock are undeniable but not totally my cup of tea.

I used to sing 'Purple Haze' in a college band tho :D, but 'All Along The Watchtower' remains my favorite followed closely by 'Hey Joe'

As I wrote on another thread, I personally would stick with the Jimi Hendrix Experience studio albums at first.

Beyond that, there are buttloads of boots, comps, and live albums of varying quality....

I would (still) go for Live at Winterland first, for a live one....

I have 2 of his cd's one best of and Are you Experienced

Are you is a monster imo. some of my faves of Jimi, If 6 was 9, Manic Depression, Cross Town Traffic, Stone Free and many more! Never knew about the Gypsies so thanks for that tid bit!

mesenet.org-muuthympat%20(23).gif

Radio One - Kickass live Radio broadcast(s) might be on Rykodisc, if you need to know for sure, let me know, and I'll check when I'm at home....

J-Dubya

I love Hendrix's music.. but i don't think the new generation of metalheads appreciate him and what he did as much because they compare his playing to today's playing which is more technical now... what they do not realize is that when hendrix came out with his music... no one else did or could imagine the things he did on a guitar... sure nowadays replicating what he did is easy technique wise.. but at the time it wasnt... he came out with alot of new things on the guitar...same goes with Eddie Van Halen & Rhoads for there era in the late 70's to early 80's... neither one is appreciated anymore and i think that is a shame because i would take either one's playing over today's "wankers" .. VH and Rhoads played fast but knew not to play fast all the time.. other then that i love his bluesy playing such as in Red House and other songs on his "Blues" album... especially Hear my Train a Comin... also loved his cover versions of Dylan's and other people's songs.. Hendrix always seemed to make the songs better...

Wyvern said:
I have one of the collections. He has some definitively moments and his contribution to guitar playing and blues/rock are undeniable but not totally my cup of tea.

I used to sing 'Purple Haze' in a college band tho :D, but 'All Along The Watchtower' remains my favorite followed closely by 'Hey Joe'

I love "All Along the Watchtower" sung by Bob Dylan... never been much of a Dylan fan, but for some reason I love his performance on this tune