new thoughts on DAMAGEPLAN?

tedvanfrehley

Your Favorite Uncle
May 28, 2003
the bluegrass state
Visit site
Well,
I gotta admit that when the Damageplan disc came out I was a little disappointed. I thought it was "good" but was feeling let down that the trademark "Dimebag" sound wasn't really all over it like, say, Cowboys From Hell. It sounded like they had gone nu-metal.

HOWEVER, with the recent and tragic passing of Dime, I have been listening to a lot of Pantera (thanks, Swine) and paying my personal homage to him. I'll admit that if it weren't for his passing I would never have given much thought to the Damageplan cd. I pawned it off a couple weeks after I got it...but with all the press and stuff, I just HAD to pick up another copy, if only out of respect for the Abbot brothers.

Well, I dunno if it's because I've given it a better listen or if I've just convinced myself that all the guitar mags are right but I'm hearing a lot in the album now that I didn't before. I gotta say it's pretty damn good. Great solos...just not a Pantera album in any way...but still a great album and not at all nu-metal.

I just wanna urge all of y'all who didn't like the record to give it another spin out of respect for Dime. I did...and I was pleasantly surprised at just how refreshing the album is...almost as good as a "black tooth grin".

RIP, Dime.
From Ted