What are your thoughts on expiermental metal/metalcore?

warchild7.62

Nov 3, 2010
Who hear listens to other subgenres of metal besides straight up death metal or black metal? Also what are your thoughts on the future of metal, what genre do you think is taking over and the "future" of metal? Looking for negative and positive feedback. Just please be respectful. I go through enough war and BS in the Army here in afghanistan. Horns up!:yell:

Pretty sure the majority of the people here listen to things other than only death and black metal.

As far as the "future of metal", the mainstream metalcore/deathcore garbage now sucks just as much as nu-metal did in the 90s. It's all trends. One trend dies, and a new one takes its place. True metal will always be around, trendy shit will never be the future.

The future of decent metal will probably just be the normal cross pollination that occurs between the already accepted genre's.

We metal fans do not have enough respect for our fellow fans because they listen to different sub-genres of metal or whatnot. I say we should stop bickering among ourselves and start critizing all this fucking hip-hop and rap shit that is taking over peoples lives!

We metal fans do not have enough respect for our fellow fans because they listen to different sub-genres of metal or whatnot. I say we should stop bickering among ourselves and start critizing all this fucking hip-hop and rap shit that is taking over peoples lives!

:lol: You're a fag.

Hail murder of rap. As long as MATHCORE goes, I dislike it.

It's all trends. One trend dies, and a new one takes its place. True metal will always be around, trendy shit will never be the future.

Remember that death metal also was trendy as FUCK in the 90s. Still survived, but it also got to a point of boredom with all the copy-paste bands back then. But the bad bands died and the good survived. As long as bands just dont rip each other off infinitely its all good. What sucks is that many people wont give "new" metal bands (does not have to be trendy) that sounds different a chance cause they dont do it the "old" way. Metal can accually die by incest with of all these conservative people.

I don't like "metal" that experiments so much that it sounds like a parody of itself. There's nothing inherently wrong with experimentation, though.

As important it is for metal to evolve, it sure is as important for it to stay "true" to its roots, but also withouth "boundaries" and "rules".

Mostly important it is to not forget where metal came from, with all the genres these days it sure is easy to get confused if you`re not a big fan of the genre.

Hail murder of rap. As long as MATHCORE goes, I dislike it.

Remember that death metal also was trendy as FUCK in the 90s. Still survived, but it also got to a point of boredom with all the copy-paste bands back then. But the bad bands died and the good survived. As long as bands just dont rip each other off infinitely its all good. What sucks is that many people wont give "new" metal bands (does not have to be trendy) that sounds different a chance cause they dont do it the "old" way. Metal can accually die by incest with of all these conservative people.

I'm going to guess you weren't a death metal fan in the 90s. It was never trendy. Trendy music in the 90s was the nu-metal explosion and grunge music. Death metal was certainly not "trendy" music.

I'm going to guess you weren't a death metal fan in the 90s. It was never trendy. Trendy music in the 90s was the nu-metal explosion and grunge music. Death metal was certainly not "trendy" music.

100% agreed.

As far as metalcore goes, I think most of it is absolute garbage. Most post-hardcore/metalcore/deathcore bands all sound the same and labels are signing bands like that at a ridiculous rate.

Good breakdowns do exist, but are scarcely heard in deathcore IMO.

Actually death metal *was* trendy in the early 90s. This is before nu metal so nu metal is not an appropriate response. Were YOU there? Hell, Cannibal Corpse (one of the worst offenders) were on Ace Ventura: Pet Detective.

A decent ammount of DM bands in the early 90's sold a lot of albums. Can't say that for any other extreme music regardless when it came out.

Where's your sense of patriotism ?

awesome pic man...very funny...lol...oh yeah i have plenty of patriotism...my whole being and soul is overwhelmed with it...!!! not many of us volunteer to come back to kill more taliban and al queda...and some of us are born to do it...!!! horns up...!!!

Actually death metal *was* trendy in the early 90s. This is before nu metal so nu metal is not an appropriate response. Were YOU there? Hell, Cannibal Corpse (one of the worst offenders) were on Ace Ventura: Pet Detective.

:yell:

i do think that death metal was huge in the 90's..."trendy" no...but there were alot of kids running around with cannibal corpse, napalm death, and deicide shirts on...i also agree with the other guy that the "grunge" era was the trend of the 90's...i also agree with u that nu metal definitely wasnt a factor in the equation then...horns up!

warchild
vocalist/songwriter
badfish97@live.com

Actually death metal was trendy in the 90s. In fact the second wave of black metal from Norway spawned because of this very reason.

I was there and I never viewed death metal as being trendy. Vossyrus brought up good points in another thread regarding death metal being partially responsible for the 2nd wave of black metal because some European metalheads decided that death metal was too popular and mainstream. I acknowledge this and I do think that death metal was popular just as thrash had been before it, but I think as a "trend" it pales in comparison to newer fads such as nu-metal, metalcore and deathcore because the ratio of decent music with any substance is so much lower in these newer trends.

I think you people don't know what trendy is. Inspiring the 2nd wave of black metal doesn't make it trendy. It certainly was not on radio stations and mainstream media. In order for something to be trendy it's going to have to be extremely popular with the mainstream music listening dynamic. Death metal absolutely was not that. Nu-Metal came around in the mid-90s, and grunge was around in the early 90s. Both of these things were WAY more trendy than death metal ever was.

I think you people don't know what trendy is. Inspiring the 2nd wave of black metal doesn't make it trendy. It certainly was not on radio stations and mainstream media. In order for something to be trendy it's going to have to be extremely popular with the mainstream music listening dynamic. Death metal absolutely was not that. Nu-Metal came around in the mid-90s, and grunge was around in the early 90s. Both of these things were WAY more trendy than death metal ever was.