Thoughts on Evergrey's new studio team

Nebulous

Daniel
Dec 14, 2003
Brookfield, VIC, Australia
With the news of Evergrey's new production team, i was quite surprised.
Not only at the fact that they have their own studio and engineer, who they arent using (the engineer at least), but also at the credentials of their new team.

This will definately be an interesting release, and a tense wait....

Thoguhts, comments.......please

Daniel\m/

just in case people here (don't know why) don't go to the Evergrey website, here is the news release...

“Evergrey recently returned to Division One Studios to record their as yet untitled fifth studio album. The producing and mixing will be handled by the experienced and extremely successful team Sanken Sandquist/Stefan Glauman. Their track record includes artists like RAMMSTEIN, BRITNEY SPEARS, BON JOVI and DEF LEPPARD.

The band's vocalist/guitarist/mastermind Tom S. Englund had this to say regarding the new collaboration, ‘We feel honoured to work with such amazing producers. We are sure that they will succeed in making us sound better than ever before.’

Evergrey have renewed their deal with InsideOut Music for one more album. The release is planned for April 2006.

If you look strictly at the productions quality of the mentioned artists then there whould be no problem, as long as the producers don't get overly involved in the actual content of the music and writing.

1Time said:
If you look strictly at the productions quality of the mentioned artists then there whould be no problem, as long as the producers don't get overly involved in the actual content of the music and writing.

I think the possibility of overinvolvement is very possible, since an external producer isn't realy needed if the band dicides to do it themselves, or when the songs are completely written before entering the studio in the first place.
We can only have faith in our grey buddies...

Daniel\m/

I just don't understand why they're paying money to people, when they could do it themselves? They'd have *complete* (well, almost) control over what it would sound like...

By hireing Producers, they will have more time to write. Back when they produced it themselves they had to spend so much time on that and writing that it took 6 months in the studio for the inner circle to finish. That's my only guess.

CampinCarl said:
I just don't understand why they're paying money to people, when they could do it themselves? They'd have *complete* (well, almost) control over what it would sound like...

Making music is something, recording music is another thing. Of course i know that the last three albums are produced by the band itself and they were very good, but making a change in the production team could really bring some fresh ideas to the band IMHO.

Thats a realy good point, one i didnt think of, but in fact, it scares me even more. While i try not to doubt my favourite bands, the recent movement in metal is a change from what i was just starting to get use to.
I just hope the change in Evergrey's case is a good one.

I have to say tho, the only reason im not too confident in the new production team is because i thought that Andy La Rocque captured Evergrey in their finest hours.

I think it's a brilliant idea for Evergrey to work with people from outside the metal realm. Evergrey has always been a trailblazer... and you shouldn't expect for them to follow the predictable metal template. I'm sure this unlikely collaboration will result in some interesting and fresh results.

sknight said:
They are using the industry cache of those names for the push to a major label for the following album, thus the one album deal.

...that would actually make a great deal of sense. IOMA has been very good to them, but the band is at a point where the jump to a bigger label (hopefully one with the funds and the motivation to promote them) would be really good for them.

If that's the case, though, I just hope that they'll be able to maintain control over their own music; I've seen a lot of bands sink (or turn mediocre) under the greater pressure.

Well, EG has been softening their sound over a couple of albums. They are hardly as hard as they were early in their careers and it is obvious that they are reaching out for a more widespread audience (perhaps those that can tolerate metal in context).

So who knows where they will go with this. I think they are going to soften more. Hopefully, regardless of how soft they go, it won't be as boring as TIC.

sknight said:
So who knows where they will go with this. I think they are going to soften more. Hopefully, regardless of how soft they go, it won't be as boring as TIC.

I sort of agree, while I don't find TIC boring and I enjoyed it quite a bit, I'd rather have EG on the heavier and darker side.