Thoughts on the music

metalprof

Ken Luther
Mar 11, 2005
Valparaiso, IN
faculty.valpo.edu
Friday
-----

Shatter Messiah. Nice of them to switch places with Suspyre, especially with the small crowd at that point. It was a good band to start with (loved the Oopma Loompa intro!). Fun frontman, solid hard power / thrash voice. Overall, though, the songs (and the style) were a bit same-y after a few.

Suspyre. It took me a while to get into them, maybe because of sound issues early on - especially with the keyboards. But by the last couple of tracks, they were really in stride and sounded great. Obviously enjoying themselves, or at least good at faking it :)

Benedictum. My surprise band of the weekend! I had their CD for a while, and I filed it as "good but not necessary to listen to any more". But live, WOW. I'd go see them again in an instant. Great, thick sound. Their singer Veronica was just charming; from their pictures I figured she would come off as a bad-ass metal chick, but that was definitely not the case.

Solitude Aeturnus. Well, what can you say. Robert Lowe sounds better now that he does on my cassettes of their first two records. He, and they all, were spot on. The thing is that on most of their records, I have a few favorite songs picked out but don't really need to listen to them for long periods at a time. And sure enough after about 40 minutes of their set, I felt that I'd had my fill. I didn't *not* like it, I thought they sounded great, but I hit my limit after that time.

Lethal. Didn't know their material, and wasn't compelled to stick around after the first 4-5 songs. Sometimes you just have to be happy for the people who are getting to hear one of their favorite bands even though you may not be getting much out of it yourself. Rob was clearly having fun out there on the floor, so I was happy for him!

Saturday
--------

Thurisaz - Great at what they do, but it's not my thing. I did love the "headbanging" segments, you know, when they're all bent over their instruments chugging away and jackhammering themselves up and down.

Novembers Doom - So Jason got to hear his song from The Knowing (Silent Tomorrow) and I didn't get to hear mine (In Memories Past), but I won't hold that against anyone. I think they played that one back at Powerfest 2005 anyway. This was my second chance to hear the new stuff live, and it just slays. The best part of the set was Paul serenading his daughter Rhiannon during Autumn Reflection - and then later having half the crowd at the front flash their horns back at her as she leaned over the balcony with hers, being the good little metal daughter that she is! Awesomely special stuff there. Thanks, Paul.

Saturnus. OK, here's a band I have listened to in bits and pieces before, enough to know I probably would not listen to a full CD at home or anything. But seeing doom live is almost as much about the mood that it sets as it is about individual songs, and Saturnus was absolutely mesmerizing. Listening to that slow, thick deep harmonic sound in my face at loud volumes was almost like being hypnotized. I loved it. I still don't think listening to their CDs at home or in the car would have the same effect for me, but I'd gladly check out another show of theirs if the opportunity comes up.

Martyr. I think it's really cool that Dee Snyder decided to go into technical metal. Just kidding! It was just the hair, you know. I told several people I was convinced that Martyr's drummer must be a robot because it is simply not possible that he is human. Watching any one of Martyr's members was awe-inspiring, but when I tried to take in everything coming at me at once, it mushed into that wall of sound effect. I know there were lots of interesting things going on, and visibly their playing was astonishing, but not being familiar with the songs made it hard for me to keep up. There was about a 20 minute stretch where it really worked for me as a whole, though.

Atheist. The big difference here is that I know some of their songs, especially ones from Unquestionable Presence, which they played a lot of. So I enjoyed this set more than Martyr's. And Tony Choy is amazing. Kelly Shaefer sounds a lot better live than on the old badly produced CDs. And I wonder if its better for him to not be playing guitar, too, because he makes a very entertaining front man. He clearly loves his music. Good stuff.

Ken

I missed friday night...had to work.

I went on saturday...my opinion on the whole night is that it was too much of one sound. Iam a fan of death and harsh vocals but after it was all said and done, I felt like I just left Milwaukee Metalfest. There definetly needs to be a better mix of genres next time.

Thurizas.....I liked what I heard online. I was excited to see them. After a few songs I was done. Everything sounded the same. They were good at what they did. The clean vocals reminded me alot of Vintersorg. I think 3 years ago I would have loved these guys.

Novembers Doom.....First time seeing them. I just picked up my first CD of thiers a few weeks back. This was the main reason for showing up on saturday asides supporting the fest. They were great live. My only problem is that being up front I think the sound wasnt as good and clear....but then again, my ears were full of ear wax and I had a hard time hearing as it was. Overall the bst performance of the night. that says a lot coming from me who loves criticizing.

Saturnus...........YAWN!

Martyr.....I was exicted for the fact that I heard they were going to do VoiVod's "Brain Scan" with Blackie. I waited the whole set. and then nothing.
They were really good live but I grew tired of the tech death metal after a few songs. It really isnt my thing but it was nice to see a band play with such intensity.

Athiest....never a fan. We stuck around for like three songs and that was enough for me.

I think having my ears filled with wax that wasnt coming out definetly hurt my opinion a bit but I would have loved to had some different styles that night to help mix it up a bit. Still had fun. Will be there next year for Elvenking.

Metalprof: Benedictum was my suprise band as well! I honestly did not think I would like them, but that is as far from the case as could be! And you're right, Veronica is VERY nice! She gave me a hug, posed for a picture, AND autographed the setlist I managed to nab, while on her way to the bar for a drink. Kindness and grace all the way. :)

I was only there on Saturday.....

Thurisaz - Very impressive live. That genre of "dark" metal, as some call it, is usually a lot better live than on disc. Maybe someday I will check one of their CDs out. They seemed to really be into their set, which I think helped them win over their crowd.

Novembers Doom - I think even my mother knows how I feel about these guys. Solid performance as well. It was great to hear a couple of the newer tracks I hadn't yet hear live. As Ken pointed out, the performance of "Silent Tomorrow" will make it one of the more memorable ND performances ever in my book. Maybe down the road we need an accoustic ND performance where us old guys can bring our wives and kids to the show... :)

Saturnus - Aside from ND, this is who I was most excited to see. They played some of my favorites in Starres, Pretend, and the set closer, Christ Goodbye. My only complaint is that the band didn't really seem too into it. The performance was almost robotic. Their vocalist left the stage at one point too, if I recall. (Maybe he had to take a wazzer or something?) I was still very glad to get the chance to see them, and hope to again sometime in the future. I wish they brought merch so I could have picked up the few of theirs I don't have. Maybe to expensive for customs???

Martyr - Simply not my thing. They seem very good at what they do and got the crowd going. That's for sure. Good solid performance, but not really my cup of tea.

Atheist - As Bob said, we stuck around for three songs. They seemed to be energetic and fun, but once again, not my thing. I never got into the jazzy death metal stuff. It sounds like it was a great performance, from what I heard from those who are into them and saw the whole set.

Martyr put on an excellent show. Highly accomplished musicians *and* good showmen. I was worried they would suffer from the Spiral Architect syndrome, with symptoms consisting of lots of chops and little stage presence, or so I've heard. Martyr was not afflicted at all. They were very energetic and fun. I especially loved Daniel's "crazy eyes" look he flashed periodically as well as the intricate web of hair he constructed by getting strands caught on just about every stage apparatus and instrument up there. I spent most of the time watching him, but all band members put in great performances. It seemed like they could have played another song or two and still stayed within their alotted time, but my neck needed a rest anyway.

If I had to choose, I'd give Atheist the slight edge in terms of enjoyability. They also performed very well on-stage, but their songs have a bit more groove, which is a good thing in a live situation. I enjoyed Kelly's enthusiasm as a front man. His banter was ok, but he is no James of Arsis fame. Steve's drumming performance was an impressive sight, what little I could see of it. The stage, however, belonged to the god-like Tony Choy. Easily the most awe-inspiring performance by a bassist I have ever seen. His playing was unreal, and he was very energetic and fun on stage as well. It even seemed like we were on the same eye-rolling page when it came to Kelly's frequent begging for pot. Choy was even quite gracious when I cornered him in the line at White Castle and told him how impressed I was. Good times.

Thanks again to Rob, Chris, and John for getting these two excellent tech bands on the same stage. Both were amazing and exceeded my expectations.

Shatter Messiah – These guys were the surprise hit of the fest for me. I like their CD, but think some of the songs are hit or miss. However, seeing them live was a whole different story. The singer was a really strong frontman and the band was tight as hell. I thought that they chose all their best (IMO) songs for their set and plan to really keep an eye on what this band does next.

Suspyre – I’ve heard good things about this band and was looking forward to seeing them. However, I did not like their set at all. I guess they are just a little too “pop” or something. People seemed to be getting into it which was cool, it just wasn’t my thing.

Benedictum – Incredible live band. Their cover of Heaven & Hell rules on CD, but was even better live… Talk about getting the crowd going! The singer has a killer voice and the band just has awesome energy on stage. I will definitely be seeing this band whenever I can.

Solitude Aeturnus – Obviously the crowd favorite here. I couldn’t even get near the stage when they played. The quality of musicianship here is incredible and the singer has one of the best voices in metal (IMO). I really like their more upbeat material. Not that the slower doomy songs aren’t cool, I just loose interest in a live situation.

Lethal – I’m not really familiar with this band, but I know Rob likes ‘em! ;) Honestly, I was getting’ pretty drunk at this point and was busy talking to people, so I missed most of their set.

Thurisaz – Traffic coming back from Metal Haven was a bitch and I totally missed these guys. I hear a lot of good things about them, I’ll have to pick up their CD when I get a chance.

Novembers Doom – This band just keeps outdoing themselves! Every album they put out and every live show I see is better than the last. I am obviously biased, but they always steal the show. The newer songs were incredible live and Chris & Larry’s backing vocals were awesome! Paul’s dedication to his daughter was really cool too.

Saturnus – Somebody wake me up when they’re done… At least I got to spend some quality time at the bar. This is just not my kind of music whatsoever.

Martyr – OK I’m awake now! Jesus, there guys are completely insane. I have one of their CDs and like it, but now I will definitely have to pick up a few more. I can hardly believe that they can be that tight and play some of that stuff live. Very impressive to say the least.

Atheist – I never really listened to this band “back in the day”, but have been trying like crazy to “catch up” to prepare for this fest. It is unreal how ahead of their time they were. The singer even made the comment “We made a pretty weird record 13 years ago and just now, people finally “Get it”. The performances were incredible. I find it hard to believe that the singer used to play guitar, because he was just too good of a frontman to be stuck behind a guitar and mic stand. Also, as a bass player, I was in awe of Tony Choy. Makes me want to give up and break all my basses in half…

All in all, an incredible fest and a great variety of styles between the bands. Not to mention the insane hotel parties...:kickass: Chicago Powerfest is no doubt a highlight of the year here in Chicago. Keep it up!:headbang:

Shatter Messiah - Great opener, really got the show started on a positive note. Their singer was awesome, and he seemed to keep coming to my side of the stage which was awesome. I wasn't familiar with their stuff, but now I am interested. I didn't have any money for their CD, sadly.

Suspyre - I was familiar with them, I've had their first CD since a bit after it came out. I think they deserved a headlining spot (on day one), and that their set was too short. They were great, I sang every word. I met Clay and Sam afterwards. Unfortunately, Sam said it's his last show with Suspyre :(

Benedictum - I thought they sucked. Boring and not exciting at all. Only band I didn't like from both days.

Solitude Aeturnus - FUCK YEAH! :headbang: Heavy as hell doom metal, what more could you want? They had awesome atmosphere and stage presence. I'm not that familiar with them, but I have their newest. I've only played it about two times so far. They were awesome, really doomy.

Lethal - I was at the merch table during their set, I didn't catch it at all. I left at 11:30 this day to go to White Castle.

Thurisaz - Awesome band. Great atmosphere, and they were having fun. I loved the backing vocalist. I wasn't familiar with them, but again, I'm interested.

Novembers Doom - AWESOME! Paul's daughter is the coolest little girl ever for throwing the horns at everyone. For some reason, when I heard these guys a few years ago, I didn't really like them. I guess I used to be fucking crazy, because they FUCKING RULE!

Saturnus - Met these guys at the door before the show. They couldn't get in, so we were talking. I've never heard of them before, but they were great. Their vocalist was reading the lyrics though, which I thought was kinda stupid. Again, great atmosphere. Interested in hearing their stuff.

Martyr - :OMG: :OMG: :OMG: I listen to this band all the time, and HOLY FUCKING SHIT they are good live too! I thought they would suck really band, considering how technical their music is. But no way, they played every song perfectly. Their drummer must have 4 arms and legs, because the stuff he was playing was fucking ridiculous. I wish they had a longer set, even though I just about broke my neck when they played.

Atheist - ATHEEISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSST!!!!!!!!:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: I NEVER thought I'd see Atheist live. Whoever booked them is a fucking God, because I was only 1 year old when they played Chicago last (even though I didn't live here at the time...). I caught a drumstick, I HUGGED Tony Choy afterwards (I bet he loved that), and Kelly was talking to me for quite a bit. Coolest, most down to Earth band I've met of their status. I figured they'd be complete assholes but they weren't. Their setlist was perfect, and I was hoping for "Air" and they fucking played it. Piece of Time was also recorded, which was great. If you guys pick up the DVD, I was holding up a Piece of Time shirt in the front row :) I love this band, it's sad to know that's the last time I'll see them live though.

I loved this fest. I will come back every time.:headbang: :kickass: :kickass: :headbang:

Friday:

Shatter Messiah - I really like them, and being in front of Curran Murphy who was a complete wild man on guitar helped. Their lead singer kept pointing at me from across the stage while I was banging along, and I really enjoyed their material, and I had never heard their stuff before.

Suspyre - As they got rolling, I really liked their material, and could tell they were having a good time.

Benedictum - Surprise at how awesome they were, actually caught one of their guitarist's picks too. The cover of Heaven and Hell was just amazing, and it was nice that the whole crowd got into it.

Solitude Aeturnus - Rob Lowe and John Perez were absolutely amazing, and John Perez was going nuts right in front of me and pate, and Rob Lowe's stage costume was awesome. I was so happy to listen to one of my favorite doom bands. They were cool to meet later on, too.

Lethal - For a band I hadn't really heard much from or much about, they were pretty awesome. Their lead singer was hilarious between songs. The more hilarious thing was that when I was standing around by myself on Saturday, he came up to me and talked to me for like 15 minutes about what I am not sure, but he was fricken hilarious!

Saturday:

Thurisaz - I hadn't heard their stuff before, and they were really cool live. Their frontman had some good stage presence.

Novembers Doom - Amazing performance. They played some of my favorite songs (like The Pale Haunt Departure) and watching Paul give the horns back and forth with his daughter was cool to see. It was awesome to meet Vito, as well.

Saturnus - These guys were hilarious at the hotel afterparties, and they were really cool on stage. The singing was really top notch, and the lead singer from Lethal had somehow made his way up to the middle of the front of the stage, and was yet again being hilarious.

Martyr - Not really my cup of tea, but watching their bassist with the 6-stringer who was singing at the same time and their ear-blisteringly fast technical guitar solos made me enjoy their set.

Atheist - A great ender for the night. Kelly is an absolutely hilarious frontman, like when he poured water over Sonny as he was soloing. Also, Tony Choy is an amazing bassist. Great way to round out the weekend.

Solitude Aeturnus and Novembers Doom were definitely my favorite things of the weekend, though. \m/

Shatter Messiah - They were alright. Good guitar work, but every song sounded the same to me save for two songs.

Suspyre - I really enjoyed them. My old band opened for them a year or two ago in Asbury Park, NJ. I'm really happy to see them play a fest like this.

Benedictum - Wasn't that in to them, really. Their cover of Heaven and Hell was good, but overall, I just got the same "Everything sounds the same" feeling as with Shatter Messiah.

Solitude Aeturnus - I was in heaven. No performance at the festival can touch theirs, IMO. They were one of the first metal bands I started listening to (how that happened, I have no idea), and I've been dying to see them ever since I heard them... man.

Lethal - I left right after SA because I couldn't hold my head up, could barely talk, was aching all over... SA completely fuckin destroyed me.

Saturday:

Thurisaz - I loved this band. I wasn't expecting them to be so awesome because, simply, I haven't heard them before.

Novembers Doom - Great performance! I can't say anything that wouldn't copy what everyone else already said.

Saturnus - Another great performance. I love me some doom.

Martyr - Going from Saturnus to Martyr was like sticking your winter-numbed foot into a tub of hot water. VERY uncomfortable at first, but after a song or 2, I was ready. Excellent musicians. It was hard to stop watching the drummer.

Atheist - In the middle of Martyr's set, my feet decided to not want to make me happy. I left the front area and sat on the steps behind the soundboard. It was a great view and a better sound quality than I would have gotten standing up front, and that's what you really need to appreciate every aspect of Atheist. Great performance. Hopefully they do a one-off show in NYC or something so I can see them again.

I especially loved Daniel's "crazy eyes" look he flashed periodically

I believe those were actually Jon Oliva's eyes that he had stolen (when you can play guitar that fast, stealing eyes is pretty easy).

I find it hard to believe that the singer used to play guitar, because he was just too good of a frontman to be stuck behind a guitar and mic stand.

ha, totally! I had actually forgotten that he was originally one of the guitarists, so during his stage performance when he'd act out a crazy rhythm in perfect time, I thought "wow, I wouldn't have expected the singer to know this music well enough to do that." Only when I was reading their wikipedia entry the next day did it all make sense!

Ok, for completeness, here are x-posts of the reviews I wrote up:

I counted up about 200 people at the Pearl Room. Easily the smallest turnout of any show I've seen there (Kamelot/Epica, Moonspell/Katatonia, Dark Funeral/Enslaved were the others). Sound was way too loud for all bands.

Suspyre
They had flight issues, so they switched places with Shatter Messiah, playing second instead of first. They started just as I walked in, and were pretty good "opening band" material. Meaning, they played well, had nice melodic songs, but didn't really do anything to distinguish themselves from the millions of bands who have been playing this melodic metal style for decades now. Their singer was quite good though. They had a girl playing keyboards, supposedly, but I think I only heard about 5 seconds worth of keyboard sounds during the whole set (when all the other instruments would stop).

Benedictum
My mission here was to figure out if their well-endowed, "Dio"-voiced singer was actually born a female. And although her singing voice sounds more "male" than a lot of actual men, her speaking voice actually has a quite normal female tone to it, so I'm forced to concede that she's always been a woman. Unfortunately, her voice, while powerful, was pretty much all over the place, and it felt like I was being yelled at more than sung to. But the rest of the band's music was equally in-your-face, distorted, and lacking in nuance, so at least they matched. Their stage presence was really good, especially the singer, who managed to have some moves/dances that were pretty unique without being horribly cheesy, which is a fine line to walk. At one point, the band stopped playing and their keyboardist/chief-fist-pumper spent a couple minutes showing off all the cool new sounds he can make by hitting the different buttons on his keyboard (I was waiting for the "Rumba" rhythm to start up). I was all "wtf?" until the singer walked back onstage, having taken the time to change into a completely new leather outfit. Yeah. Oh, they played a cover of "Heaven & Hell", which was nice, but I would have preferred if Solitude Aeturnus had taken that one.

Solitude Aeturnus
I had no idea that Robert Lowe was a creepy old man. But that meant he could totally pull off the Father William/pedophile priest getup he was wearing. And holy hell, can he sing. Clear and powerful and spot-on, it was probably one of the best live vocals I've heard from a metal singer in that range. The rest of the performance was pretty good too, and they easily won the night. One oddity was that John Perez would often borrow the microphone from Lowe to provide the inter-song banter, but I guess he's the more entertaining guy. Too bad their songwriting ain't too hot, but it works well enough for an hour-long live performance when there's other stuff to pay attention to.

Lethal
I've never heard a note of these guys in my life, I've just heard that they're good Queensryche clones, with a Geoff Tate-clone singer. Um, no. Well, I'm sure they could do an excellent job playing Queensryche cover songs, but their own songs just had nothing for me. The singer can certainly wail, but unfortunately, that's all he did, wail, wail, wail. I don't think I detected a single hummable melody in their whole set. I actually thought Suspyre did a much better job in basically the same style.

==============

It seemed like there were more people for Saturday than Friday; I never tried to do an estimate, but I'd guess maybe 300. Sound didn't seem quite as loud, but maybe that's just because I'd been partially-deafened the night before.

Thurisaz
A great start by these Belgians. They felt like a band in the same class as (BTToS-era) Disillusion. Not that they sound too similar, but they play a form of melodic death metal with atmosphere and soul that doesn't sound like Gothenburg. Their myspace-song ("Point of No Return") was the highlight, but it was all good. They broke out the rare three-part death metal "harmony" (two clean, one growled) which I haven't seen since the late Summer Dying (who they also sound a bit like).

Novembers Doom
I think that their turn towards fastheavychunk on "The Novella Resevoir" pretty much destroyed what made Novembers Doom good, by sacrificing their unique emotional depth and atmosphere for something that any old band can do. But I figured at least that new stuff would work well in the live environment. It worked ok I suppose, but the atmospheric stuff, like "Silent Tomorrow" or "Autumn Reflection" (dedicated to the singer's 3(?) year old horn-throwing daughter in the balcony, seeing dad play for the first time) was still a lot better.

Saturnus
Perhaps Novembers Doom's lack of atmospheric doom metal didn't matter, because Saturnus more than made up for it. Their songs on record are just a bit too slow and lengthy for me, so I was pleasantly surprised by how well they worked live. Especially when they would hit the second halves of some of their songs, where they'd get all repetitive and hypnotic. Their sound was excellent, with the lead guitars and keyboards able to slice through nicely because they didn't make any attempt to be heavy-as-fuck. Five of the guys looked like nice Northern Europeans, but they must have borrowed one of their guitarists from Scissorfight.

Martyr
And we go from really slow music to ridiculously fast music. Technical death metal isn't really the best style of music to see live, particularly if you aren't especially familiar with it, but Martyr did about as good as a band could possibly do within those constraints. They have enough headbang-able sections in their music to allow the crowd to get into it, and otherwise, there is plenty of action to watch to keep you from getting bored. The drummer was the most interesting guy for me to focus on, although the hyperactive fingers of the guitarists were pretty crazy too. And in addition to all the instrument stuff, the guys managed some pretty intense and engaging stage presence too.

Atheist
Ok, check that, apparently Martyr didn't do as good as a tech-death-metal band can do, because Atheist did better. The difference might have been that they were the one band of the weekend to have a banner. Or maybe it was the fact that they had a dedicated frontman. He might be the worst vocalist in the history of opened mouths, but he did an excellent job of working the crowd and getting everyone involved. Their songs also are a bit more 'catchy' than Martyr's. Atheist's guitarists and drummer weren't quite as eye-grabbing, but that was ok because bassist Tony Choy was grabbing all the eyes anyhow. The bass-and-drum solos were kept mercifully short, just long enough for the other guys to smoke some much-requested weed. They were clearly the band of the festival, as the crowd was about six times more into Atheist than they were into all the other nine bands combined. A surprisingly violent pit was going pretty steadily, with co-promoters Rob and Chris having a fun time getting bashed around on the edges. So it was quite a strong end to a really strong night.

Neil

Benedictum
My mission here was to figure out if their well-endowed, "Dio"-voiced singer was actually born a female.

Truth be told, that's the only reason I stayed near the front of the stage to see them. I wanted to see if she had an Adam's Apple. She didn't, and from there our opinions about the band's musical quality differ. But it's all good. :)

Jason was the rumor starter!!!!!:err:

Rumor starter?
As you always say, the internet is your friend.

After Rob indicated a member of Voi Vod might be in the house, and Martyr being from Canada, I simply did a google search on Martyr and Voi Vod.

It took about 2 seconds then to find out that Martyr covered Brain Scan on their album. Then I found elsewhere that Blacky performed the song with them a couple times live.

Call it starting a rumor. I call it deductive reasoning given the fact that Martyr was on the bill and that a member of Voi Vod was to be in the audience.

Shatter Messiah:
Loved Their set! I'm a fan of Curran Murphy's style. Their singer must have about an hundred different voices...

Suspyre:
About as entertaining as canned peas... Really amateur and uninspired immature metal. They sound like they're still learning The Trooper...

Benedictum:
A real Revelation. Great set, great stage presence.

Solitude Aeternus:
A near Perfect setlist. Massive sound... but man does that forntman suck. Sure he's got the voice but that Marcolin Messiah priest gimmick has got to stop. Oh and he should get a personality too...

Lethal:
RULED! Can't believe how tight they were!

Turisaz:
Meh... They're good at what they do I guess. THEY REALLY should get another drummer thought, he really doesn't bring anything

November's Doom
Good deathy-doom. Well Played and nice stage presence too

Saturnus
Yawn?

Martyr
Won't say anything because I'm a fucking biased frenchie fanboy. It WAS pretty fuckin' strange to see them skip Hopeless Hopes though... First time it happenend in the 20 something times I've seen them

Atheist
...WOW... I'm still speechless over that one

Solitude Aeternus:
A near Perfect setlist. Massive sound... but man does that forntman suck. Sure he's got the voice but that Marcolin Messiah priest gimmick has got to stop. Oh and he should get a personality too...

Awww... You didn't like Rob Lowe? I thought he was really awesome for a frontman. I always felt Messiah liked to dress up more like a monk in a really large robe...

But, since Rob Lowe will be singing for Candlemass now, even if he did steal the gimmick... It's fitting.