Thoughts Regarding Waterclime

Hubster

Oct 29, 2003
Bondi Australia
Thoughts Regarding Waterclime

Mr V,

I was very pleased when I got to take in the album: it took a few listens, but what I found was an album which seems quite personal in places, quite subtle, and at times hiding moments of intense blinding beauty.

Each listen brings some small detail which you've not picked up before, and one might hear some influences (sometimes perhaps not intended) in your compositions.

It was inevitable that someone might say this, and I make no comparison at all, but I was waiting with baited breath for this album to see how it might (or might not) relate to Opeth's "Damnation" album. I am very happy to say they are nothing alike at all, and to be perfectly honest, I see The Astral Factor as a much more genuine progressive rock piece of work as opposed to Damnation.

The Astral Factor seems to hold true not only structurally, but also topically: Diamond Moon and Painting Without Colours (in my opinion, the absolute standout tracks on the album and real masterpieces of work) take me back to my very young years of not having left the UK, and hearing prog on TV and on the radio.

The drum programming on the record is exceptional - I was almost fooled for a while thinking that you had a live drummer! Excellent work, and I think you also picked a lovely sound for the snare - nice and thick, quite textured and warm.

The bass playing was something which I was VERY surprised by in relation to your past solo works. Either your writing style for this record demanded it, or you have improved dramatically! Beautiful passages moving underneath the guitars. A wonderful touch. If you do another release under the Waterclime guise, I'd love to hear some fingered playing as opposed to picked (unless you did play without a pick on this album). Great work. (Ever thought of experimenting with Doors style keyboard bass?)

The guitar sound was something which I found may have need to be sharpened a little in places, but works beautifully in others. Nevertheless, combined with your writing style on the album, it provides warmth and also a "textured" kind of shadow to the music.

The opening 30-40 seconds of Diamond Moon is simply outstanding: your writing here is flawless and everything works like a well oiled machine. The keys combined with bass and "thin" guitar sound creates a dark liquid warmth bathed in warm moonlight.

I did have a few descrepencies in places... your distortion on "Mountains" could have been a little thicker, but without tightness of course so as to keep away from a metal sound. A loose and somewhat jangly kind of sound - think kind of Hendrix style. More texture would have provided some more warmth, if thats in your alley.

I also found in "Mountains" (eg 3:25-3:45) and in other songs, the "sweeeping" keyboard leads could have been replaced with a moog, mellotron or even some old school "space-synth battles". The sweeping effect is something I found which didn't fit into the album overall - seemed a bit distracting as it's modern sound seems to clash with the rest of the overall feel.

On the other hand your work with keys on "Midnight Flyer" is fantastic! It sounds like it's come right off an old 7"! I love it, it's so texturous and blends beautifully all the way through the song.

Finally, the vocals: of course, an absolute joy to listen to you, no matter whether your vocals are clean or growled. I found the production of your vocals on this record to take a bit of getting used to, and in some places it sounded a little drowned out. Nevetheless, your incredible midrange continues it's legendary performance. Just a treasure to listen to.

In summary, I enjoy this record a lot. It's getting totally thrashed on my iPod and hasnt come off since I bought the album!

I would love to hear more music in your Waterclime guise, also getting more experimental and rough in places, think nice tight fills, some rough waa-waa and thick bass playing and some hippy lyrics about flashing colours in waterfalls!

The Astral Factor is an album, which for me, takes me to some sections of very early period Rush, really early REM(!) and even early Police (of all bands!) among many others.

I love the feel of this album and where it's going. I wish I could even dream of something as visionary.

Great work and look forward to more!

Cheers H

PS - anyone else, or Mr V, have thoughts on the above? Discuss...