Thrash Metal Big 4 (METALLICA,MEGADETH,SLAYER,ANTHRAX)

1.Who do you like most?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rust in Peace > Seasons in the Abyss > First 4 Metallica > CTE/Youthanasia > Slayer's 80s albums > Load > The rest of Megadeth's stuff > The rest of Slayer's stuff > The rest of Metallica's stuff

in before people are still surprised at the opinions I have 9 years later

image.png

I'd also say Rust in Peace is better than any album released by Slayer. It doesn't mean I don't love Slayer, Reign in Blood and Hell Awaits come close.

Reactions: Baroque
I think Megadeth is the most consistent of the big 4. Their worst material is better than the worst material of the other 3 by far. Their best material is close to if not the best of the big 4. I'd only put maybe Ride the Lightning ahead of Rust in Peace, but that's close.

Good: Megadeth > Slayer > Metallica > Anthrax
Bad: Anthrax > Metallica > Slayer > Megadeth

:lol: just realized it's vice versa

Just a note: the bad is from worst of the bad to best of the bad.

Risk and The World Needs a Hero are awful, much worse than the Loads, maybe even worse than St. Anger.

Seasons in the Abyss is Slayer rehashing what they'd already done on Reign in Blood and South of Heaven - good for what it is, but hardly the inspired work of Hell Awaits.

I'm not big on Master of Puppets at all. Its songs and structure can easily be compared to Ride the Lightning and it loses in every case.

Reactions: CiG
Seasons doesn't really sound like a rehash to me, especially not one of Reign in Blood. There are still some new ideas on that one.

The Metallica tracklisting meme needs to die. Just because Lightning and Puppets share a similar pattern of fast opener --> title track --> slower heavy song --> "ballad" ---------> long instrumental near the end, doesn't mean Puppets is just a rehash. The songs themselves are very different; I think both For Whom the Bells Toll and The Thing That Should Not Be are both 10/10 songs and they maybe serve a similar purpose on the album, but compositionally they aren't remotely similar. Puppets is definitely more progressive/elaborate than Lightning is.

I never said it was a rehash of Ride the Lightning, I said a lot of the tracks can be directly compared which I stand by. I've had this opinion since I was 15/16, long before I saw other people's thoughts on the 2 albums so don't bring up this "meme" shit. Master of Puppets has never done anything for me, it's boring.

There are a few new ideas on Seasons on the Abyss, but it's still the first album out of their first 5 where I felt they weren't trying something completely new. Which obviously doesn't matter if you enjoy that stuff, I'll actually take it over South of Heaven personally, although I never listen to either these days. It's been a while since I listened to it, so maybe I'm off base, but I felt some of the faster tracks could have almost fit on Reign in Blood.

Edit: I recently found this which is a statistical analysis of RtL vs MoP done by a couple. https://medium.com/@shellydeathlock/lightning-vs-puppets-138dcaea6b6e#.2bcpljl0w it's rather ridiculous the lengths they have gone to compare them but some of you might find it interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: EternalMetal
You're simply wrong if you think the RTL title track is better than the MOP title track.

I'm not saying that the albums can't be compared in that way; I did it too when I was younger and before I started using metal forums. I'm just saying that people ascribe too much value in that kind of comparison. I mean, that list has some pretty arbitrary comparisons, like Bells vs Heroes due to both being anti-war. The fact that Puppets can be directly compared to Lightning possess any inherent statement regarding the quality of Puppets on its own.

I never said it was a rehash of Ride the Lightning, I said a lot of the tracks can be directly compared which I stand by. I've had this opinion since I was 15/16, long before I saw other people's thoughts on the 2 albums so don't bring up this "meme" shit. Master of Puppets has never done anything for me, it's boring.

Is there really a meme about this? Granted ive never been the biggest Metallica fan, but ive always considered MoP and RtL to be like brothers; MoP being the older more serious one, and RtL being the young and more energetic one. They really are very similar albums imo, and no I wouldnt say that MoP is a rehash either. But imo it isnt even half as good as RtL. Lots of the songs on it havent aged well for me, so im definitely a bit biased in my evaluation.

There are a few new ideas on Seasons on the Abyss, but it's still the first album out of their first 5 where I felt they weren't trying something completely new. Which obviously doesn't matter if you enjoy that stuff, I'll actually take it over South of Heaven personally, although I never listen to either these days. It's been a while since I listened to it, so maybe I'm off base, but I felt some of the faster tracks could have almost fit on Reign in Blood.

I dont know, I cant really get into any Slayer after RiB. I cant really describe it as anything more than that there is just something missing. When I listen to the first 3 Slayer albums, I have to keep myself from headbanging induced whiplash, but comparably SoH and SotA are just kind of bland.

Edit: I recently found this which is a statistical analysis of RtL vs MoP done by a couple. https://medium.com/@shellydeathlock/lightning-vs-puppets-138dcaea6b6e#.2bcpljl0w it's rather ridiculous the lengths they have gone to compare them but some of you might find it interesting.

lol

battery > fight fire with fire
master of puppets > ride the lightning
the thing that should not be > for whom the bell tolls
fade to black > sanitarium
disposable heroes > trapped under ice
leper messiah > escape
the call of ktulu > orion
creeping death > damage inc.

MoP wins 5-3 game over rip boris rip in crowd