Thrash Metal Big 4 (METALLICA,MEGADETH,SLAYER,ANTHRAX)

1.Who do you like most?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't know if it's a meme, according to HamburgerBoy it is. When I started getting more serious about metal and researching it on the Internet, I was always surprised and could never understand MoP's status as one of the greatest metal albums of all times. Definitely gets my vote as the single most overrated metal album of all time.

I agree with your assessment, RtL is definitely more energetic and I'd say it has much stronger songwriting as well.

battery > fight fire with fire
master of puppets > ride the lightning
the thing that should not be > for whom the bell tolls
fade to black > sanitarium
disposable heroes > trapped under ice
leper messiah > escape
the call of ktulu > orion
creeping death > damage inc.

MoP wins 5-3 game over rip boris rip in crowd

More like RtL wins 7-1. I don't care enough about Escape or Leper Messiah so I'll give MoP a much needed pity vote :p.

I don't know if it's a meme, according to HamburgerBoy it is. When I started getting more serious about metal and researching it on the Internet, I was always surprised and could never understand MoP's status as one of the greatest metal albums of all times. Definitely gets my vote as the single most overrated metal album of all time.

I agree with your assessment, RtL is definitely more energetic and I'd say it has much stronger songwriting as well.

So what do you dislike about MOP, aside from the fact that it "loses" to RTL?

Disposable Heroes is definitely a better song than Trapped Under Ice too, even though I still love that one as well (it's basically a vintage Exodus song after all).

So what do you dislike about MOP, aside from the fact that it "loses" to RTL?

I'll have to give it a listen to familiarize myself it again. I'll do this tomorrow. Would you be willing to give Far Away from the Sun or Deathcult for Eternity an honest listen and post your thoughts?

I voted Metallica because RtL and MoP were the albums that got me into the genre and are basically untouchable but on any other day I might vote Slayer.

Ok, I was going to let you decide but let's got with Deathcult. Focus particularly on tracks 4, 6, 7 and 8 if you can (my favourites).

OK, I did a shitty track-by-track review as I listened. Overall, I thought it was good, but the problems I've had with other Chasm albums (poor, if frequent, variations on riffs to make up for lack of ability to write interesting ones) were mostly limited to just the first song on it. Rhythmically it got a bit repetitive and the pacing is slower than I usually like, but it had its good points there too.

Song 1: Tremolo picked riffs get pretty boring starting around 2 minutes, to avoid repetition they just repeat up or down a couple steps or so or throw on some kind of harmony that just sounds arbitrary. Good riff at 4:20. The solos are kind of crappy, trying to sound unrestrained and crazy but just sounding sloppy and kinda second-rate Slayer, not even fitting the song. Overall a mess. 3/10.

Song 2: More aggressive and not trying as hard working for the better. Riffs are more low-key, although when I focus on them I realize they’re a bit more interesting, a plus. 6/10.

Song 3: This one is kind of interesting, the ringing chords and monotonous pulse as the faster parts gives me a kind of DMDS vibe. 6/10.

Song 4: Why isn’t this considered a black/death album? I’m hearing black metal everywhere on this album. Those parts, in the very intro and the second half I’m preferring here. That acoustic line is pretty weak and I swear he hits a wrong note right at the start of it, which isn’t that big of a deal on its own but I don’t really like the way it builds and especially dramatic-sounding bits around 1:50, sounds like they’re halfway to forcing a ballad. 5/10.

Song 5: The first four songs were all distinct enough but this is starting to sound a little repetitive here. Too many marching triplet rhythms now, and I’m getting tired of this guy’s girly high-pitched screams. That riff around 4:00 is neat, catchy but evocative. 4/10.

Song 6: Kind of a similar deal to song 4, definitely trying at a bit of a melodic/heavy thing here, although I think this one goes further and better. Riffs and progressions are definitely right out of some 80s textbook. That melody at 2:30 had the potential to go somewhere lame, but the turn it around into something that almost gives me Adramelch vibes or something, kinda romantic and wistful shit, I like that. Drumming is changing things up too, playing more to the epic doom tropes but it works. First song that sounds start-to-finish like it was trying to be ambitious without doing fuck-knows-what, and succeeding. 9/10.

Song 7: Pretty sure I’m hearing some Orion in this one, you better not hate on that one when you re-evaluate Master of Puppets. :p Otherwise had trouble focusing here, the riffs are just so bland. The acoustic parts under hum in a way that almost makes it sound like some kind of Chinese windchimes or something, although it’s probably just out of tune, either way those parts at least sounds cool. 5/10.

Song 8: Already love this intro, very dancy and circus-esque with elaborate decorations at the end of every other measure, kinda Psychotic Waltz style. The rest was solid, didn’t really grasp me but admittedly I zoned out a bit when the intro set the bar high. 6/10.

Song 9: This one reminds me strongly of some black metal song, although I don’t know which one. Probably something from DMDS again. Regardless, the pacing is good and overall has the amount of aggression I’d like. The melodic bridge goes on a tiny bit too long but nothing unacceptable. Overall strong. 7/10.

you gave my favourite a 9 so i'm happy.

i'd appreciate a FAFTS post of this kind too sometime! people sometimes dismiss that because it's pretty bottom-heavy.

@HamburgerBoy I knew you were going to do a big in depth review and make it seem like I haven't put any effort it! I have listened to it, but I'm not going to do a track by track unless you really want me to. I find it difficult to talk at length about things that leave no lasting impression on me, which this doesn't.

You definitely got the better end out of this deal imo. Deathcult for Eternity is consistently interesting, thought-provoking, evocative and spine chilling throughout for me. None of which I can say for MoP. Not a single shiver or impulse to headbang was had during the listen.

It's hard for me not to compare this to Ride the Lightning since it's something I've always done, but I'll try. It's better on the whole than I remember, with parts of "Disposable Heroes" standing out more than before. I don't dislike the album, I just don't particularly like it either. I find most of it to be completely forgettable, uninteresting and repetitive. Seriously, some of these songs feel like they go on forever, driving the same riff into the ground. Don't know how you can call black metal "riffless" repetition and yet praise "The Thing That Should Not Be". Unlike other massively praised albums which I'm not too fond of, I can't actually see what people really love about this. These songs never hit any real peak for me and just seem rather directionless. I've always hated the first part of the solo during the clean section of the title track, and it's not changed my mind this time. I get that this is supposed to be Metallica maturing and adding a progressive edge to their music, but I don't think they have the songwriting ability to make these tracks consistently interesting.

Parts of the title track, "Orion" and "Battery" (specifically the intro), are the only times I really see what's so great about this. As I previously said, most of this just passes me by without really grabbing my attention, which is a more offensive trait than if it was just really bad. I'd rate most tracks as a 5/6 and it peaks at 7.5/8.

Anyway, thanks for doing this and apologies for not going into as much depth as you. I know we don't always agree but I appreciate the fact you talk about what you like and dislike about certain things. This was fun.

Edit: Deathcult for Eternity does have notable black metal influence to it, but none of the Chasm's other albums really do to the same extent, which is why they just get labelled as a death metal band I think.

Last edited:
No probs, I just did the track by track cuz it's easier to keep track of my thoughts that way.

I definitely disagree regarding repetition in TTTSNB, for example. I used to feel that way about the song because there is a lot of chugging involved, but the way it builds and sometimes extends a riff by half a measure or sometimes not and does variations on a theme is unlike anything else in metal I'm aware of in 1986, with the exception of Confessor's first demo tape released at the end of the same year, which is basically an exercise in taking the TTTSNB formula further (if you don't know that band, they're basically Meshuggah's tech-groove granddaddies). Even Lars' drumming does some creative shit with which beats he chooses to emphasize and when, it's a song where it sounds a lot less repetitive if you try to focus on the musician's interplay rather than just a riff or a vocal line. I love the clean part in the Puppets title track too; aside from Maiden's Powerslave, I think it's the kind of thing that directly led to the kind of melody found in your average Gothenburg band a decade later.

I guess I could kind of get the "directionless" criticism in the sense that some songs almost seem to try at anti-climax (like the false ending of Disposable Heroes or the whispered chorus of Damage Inc), but there's still far more going on than most verse/chorus/verse/chorus bands of that time period. imo it's possibly the most forward-thinking and creative non-extreme metal album of the entire 80s.

I picked Slayer because I enjoy 'Show No Mercy' more than any other album by the bands listed.

A list follows -- because I can;

Favorite Albums from Big 4
1. Show No Mercy
2. Peace Sells...
3. Kill 'Em All
4. Hell Awaits
5. Ride The Lightning

Reactions: EternalMetal