Threshold (The Band!)

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
How many of you all are familiar and/or listen to Threshold (UK band)?

I realized the other day that I've been listening to them for over 20 years now. Psychedelicatessen was one of the first albums I bought when discovering Metal mail orders (at the time I had found Dream Disc out of Indiana). Fast forward to 2017 and the vocalist from that album (Glynn Morgan) has once again returned, and the album is all kinds of awesome. they always have this strange "under the radar" presence, have never "broke" per se, but man do I consider them up there with some of the best in the genre (Progressive Metal for lack of a better genre description that doesn't exist).

Threshold are a strange one in that, with the revolving vocalists over the years, they still maintain a solid output that, for me, is stellar. Each vocalist creates a different vibe to the music. Smart writing, killer melodies, nothing super virtuosic but at the same time the guys are no slouches, and I consider them elegant players - a real band oriented approach to writing.

Curious to hear feedback and see if anyone else is into these guys. And I consider it mandatory to check out stuff from across their career as they've evolved a lot without losing what makes them special - just different sounds across their career.

Forced to pick a favorite tune from them, I would probably go with this one:

And one I probably listened to the most from their March of Progress album - which I describe as "if Andrew Lloyd Weber wrote a Metal song":

Last edited:
I knew a guy on an Iron Maiden forum that worshiped Threshold so I knew exactly what to expect in this thread. Never listened to them much though, just Wounded Land and Hypothetical iirc. First song sounds decent, in a way it reminds me of later Psychotic Waltz but not as loose. Well, the first half at least. Hearing it makes me realize it's probably something my dad would love, anything with bluesy chugging and scratchy higher-pitched vocals seems to do the job for him.

Reactions: CiG
@Matt was super big into this band and actually got me interested in them. Way back when we dida 'Secret Santa' type deal where we made a mixed CD for someone else and sent it to them and that person sent you a mix of music they liked. It was a cool concept.

Still need to buy some stuff from this band.

You all are funny, but I guess I do get it :) I've only had 1 clean up since the new rules - big difference that I hope continues.

@The Ozzman I would check out/buy one within the last 10 years with each different vocalist (Mac, Damian, Glynn).

@arg you should check out the March of Progress album then, and even the new one Legend of the Shires.

Couple from the new one:

Similar in vein to The Hours:

Reactions: arg
Reactions: MetalAges