New Threshold

Apr 3, 2004
Nashville, TN
Hello all,

I can officially say that the new Threshold, Dead Reckoning, is now my favorite Threshold cd. I love this disc and can't wait to hear some of the new stuff live. I love everything about this cd. MAC sounds great. I have to admit that Mac is not my favorite singer for Threshold, Glynn Morgan was my favorite but I must say that MAC sounds perfect on this cd. Pilot in the Sky of Dreams is the song of the year for me. I hope they will play it live. This cd has wonderful production. They stepped up the crunch factor more on this one than on their last 2 outings. The choruses are very warm and melodic. I like the straight ahead approach on this one. This is a great cd and if you don't have it, do yourself a favor and get this one. Here is how I rank the Threshold Cd's!!

1. Dead Reckoning - Love the production, melody and crunch of this disc. Has my favorite song ever from Threshold, Pilot in the Sky of Dreams. Great cd.

2. Psychedelicatesson - Glynn is my favorite Threshold singer. I have the special edition and the production is fantastic. Heavy crunchy cd that still gets plenty of spins from me. I loved the heavier threshold and loved more metal singer in Glynn. Into the Light is a fantastic Song.

3. Hypothetical - This was the first cd i bought from Threshold and I love it. I love Macs voice on this one too. This one is almost tied with the Psychedelicatesson but I prefer the heavieness of the P to this one. This is almost my 2nd favorite. Love this cd from start to end.

4. Critical Mass - I was a bit let down with this one after Hypothetical. This is still a good cd just lost some of the crunch. This is a very warm disc but more mid tempo songs on this one. Still very well done and a great disc.

5. Wounded Land - I do not like the vocals of Damien Wilson. I know I will get flamed for saying that around here. I know some people love him. No doubt he has talent but I just don't like his style of singing. To me it sounds like he is whining and it annoys me. This cd is a good cd with some really killer songs.

6. Clone - First cd with MAC on vocals and for some reason this one just did not sit well with me. Mac did not fit on this disc to me. I felt like on Hypothetical the music fit Mac perfectly but on this one something was missing. Production is great as is with all Threshold Cd's.

7. Extinct Instinct - This is my least favorite disc by Threshold. Damien just threw me off on this one. I do have to say that the music and songs are awesome but i just can't handle the vocals.

Theshold is a band that I can always expect great production and killers melodies. Great band and looking forward to seeing them again at PP.

Comments welcome.

Brand

Love Dead Reckoning ... probably will be one of my top albums for this year. :headbang:
I too cannot wait to hear what they are going to play off of it. I'm hoping they will at least play "Slipstream" and "This Is Your Life," but it would be great to hear "Pilot in the Sky of Dreams" as well.

Although I have not heard all of their catalog yet, Subsurface is probably my next favorite album by them.

Dead Reckoning rules ... probable top 5 for me. Slipstream is probably my favorite track, but the entire disc is great. I love the bonus track they did for Muse's Supermassive Black Hole .... great great cover tune.

Britt

I have shied away from this one since I heard that the cookie monster makes his guest vocal appearence here. I need to give this a shot though with all the positive feedback it is getting.

1. Hypothetical - the prog element on this one has been unmatched so far by Threshold.

2. Dead Reckoning - This one moved up fast for me...not sure that it will stay though. l like the edge they brought with the new material and it seems like they loosened the reins on Johanne...he cut loose on this one like he does live.

3. Extinct Instinct - Wilson factor.

4 - ? - the rest.

I have shied away from this one since I heard that the cookie monster makes his guest vocal appearence here. I need to give this a shot though with all the positive feedback it is getting.

Don't let Swano scare you from this one. His contribution is kept minimal & it really doesn't add nor take away. A gang vocal done in his place would have been just as good.

1. Hypothetical - the prog element on this one has been unmatched so far by Threshold.

2. Dead Reckoning - This one moved up fast for me...not sure that it will stay though. l like the edge they brought with the new material and it seems like they loosened the reins on Johanne...he cut loose on this one like he does live.

3. Extinct Instinct - Wilson factor.

4 - ? - the rest.

Don't let Swano scare you from this one. His contribution is kept minimal & it really doesn't add nor take away. A gang vocal done in his place would have been just as good.

Agreed on all counts, I do love Dead Reckoning a lot though.
The growlies on the new one are only on 2 tunes, and as Acension said, they don't add, nor take away from the songs.

Like others have said, they're kept to a minimum, and the extent to which they were used really confuses me. It's not enough to add anything to the songs or gain any new fans, and unfortunately it's also managed to throw some fans off. My opinion is that the album would have been just fine without them.

I think the growlies work good in Slipstream. The harsh vocal line (oh do you really think so) is used 4 times, and basically it follows up some lines that have to do with being scared, and fearful. It makes perfect sense in the context of the song. Try it out .. you might like it.

On the other tune (Elusive), the growlies appear only at the very beginning of the tune if I recall right, and are pretty low in the mix, and not very prominent.

Britt

Cool.....thanks for the info on the th harsh vox to all. I will give it a shot.