time aligning a moving drumkit with ambient mics in live recording

Phoncible

Aug 27, 2006
Yeah, recorded a live gig, all tracks + stereo mic setup at FOH. Problem is, after time aligning room mics with initial drum hits (so as not to hear doubling or having phase problems), things skew over the course of the gig, and during songs. All of a sudden the ride hits are doubled (probably because the drumkit moved?). Ideas on how to time align this properly, or otherwise deal with the problem?

That sounds a little strange. Even if the drum kit moved, it'd have to be a good distance to cause that issue. I smell a situation where you've moved the room but it's not perfectly lined, so over time it gets more and more off. Honestly, I get rid of the rooms and fake it with live stuff. Just too uncontrolled otherwise.

I don't understand. Moved the room, not in line? The mics were on a stand where noone would be even able to reach them.

This is weird. Were the room mic's recorded on the same setup as everything else? Sounds like a sync error you'd normally get between two recording setups that weren't clocked together.

Best bet is probably to bring the room mic's way down in the mix, or just use them for crowd noise at the end of songs. Either that or just fake the room sound with a reverb plugin.

maybe one of the mic clips came loose and the mics changed position mid show.. it really shouldn't be that drastic though if that's what it was

Was it a long gig. Does it happen progressively over the course of the show. Clock issue?

1 hour-ish. Back and forth. Might have been a clock issue, 2 different sound cards through asio4all driver into the same daw. Wouldn't expect that big differences back and forth, tho? RME ff800 and avid mbox pro

any chance they were recorded at different sampling rates? Over time that would cause a linear divergence between the two signals starting in sync with the 44.1k signal chiming in at about 1.08xp the overall length by the end of the 48k clip. if that were the case, could be possible to re-sample the offending tracks to the project's overall sample rate. However... pitch may be an issue afterwards - depending

just a thought

At closer inspection, there's small patches of "jitter-noise" on the ambient mics, where the audio is skewed. Took some time to locate all, but sounds good now! Thanks for the help