Time for a New Audio Interface....

Wolfeman

I Prefer EL-34s. So What?
Feb 21, 2006
Cleveland
Well, I think I have really out-grown my Tascam US-428.....

My drummer just bought a nice mic kit which now gives him a total of 8 mics. With my audio interface only having 4 inputs, I'm kinda screwed. Now I need your guys advice on what to buy next.....

I'll need something with at least 8 inputs/outputs, and decent mic pre's that are switchable to phantom power. Firewire is a must. I've been looking at the Motu Ultralite and Traveler, but with only 2 XLR/TRS inputs on the UL and 5 on the Traveler, it kinda turns me away... And the 828mkII has 8 line inputs but only 2 mic? I'm guessing they figure you are going through a board first, right?

So pretty much I need some help figuring out what I should get.... I really like my all in one US-428 since it has a DAW interface and audio interface.... So I would like something similar.... What are you guys using? By the way, I'm looking at spending no more than $1500...... I tried the other tascam products(the FW series) and didn't really like them, so that's out of the question.... Also I should note that I use Cubase SX 2, so no pro tools specific product recomendations please.....

Note- Just noticed the Motu 896HD.... That's what I'm looking for... But all the outs are XLR? Why? And holy shit, the Alesis iO|26 is only $400??? Must be shity if its so damn cheap right?

You might want to hold onto your nutsack a little bit longer and wait for the new breed of PCI-Express cards to really start hittin tha scene, playah'. MOTU and Lynx are in the game so far... RME soon to follow.

Hmm..... 2 Firepods sounds really nice.....

Is the Cubase LE that comes with the firepod better than SX 2?

And- Are the Firepods mic pres any good?

^ no cubase LE is a stripped down shitty version of SX 2
it's like Pro tools LE compared to Pro tools HD

check out the new Firestudio instead of the Firepod or the SAFFIRE PRO from Focusrite....Focusrite are aweomse preamp makers so u can be assured that the stock focustrite preamps on the Saffire are of a decent quality

Genius Gone Insane said:
Thoughtful suggestion: buy a used soundcard ~$500 and get a couple nice preamps for $1k??

I was thinking about that, and that would be great for my home studio rig, but I should have mentioned this will be a portable setup that I can take along with my laptop.... So a firewire rack unit is the way I need to go.....

A Toolish Circle said:
^ no cubase LE is a stripped down shitty version of SX 2
it's like Pro tools LE compared to Pro tools HD

check out the new Firestudio instead of the Firepod or the SAFFIRE PRO from Focusrite....Focusrite are aweomse preamp makers so u can be assured that the stock focustrite preamps on the Saffire are of a decent quality

I don't see why I would need the Firestudio over the Firepod, seems like more money for the addition of adat, which I will probablly never own any adat equipment....

I bought a few firepods to run sessions with after the break in. I'll be selling at least one of them within 4 or 5 weeks. pm me if you want a deal on a pretty much new unit.

btw, i was actually pretty impressed with them. better pres than my old motu896, just stay away from the limiters.

Wolfeman said:
I don't see why I would need the Firestudio over the Firepod, seems like more money for the addition of adat, which I will probablly never own any adat equipment....

never say never , alot of good compressors/preamps do come with adat and it's better to run them thru the adat rather than the line in.

also u never know if u need more than 8 mics inputs , planning for expansion is always a good thing

get a digi 002 with tools le, and the music production update..
youll be lauging all the way to the bank

I love our RME Fireface 800. They now have a Fireface 400.

Prior to that I had 3 M-Audio 1010's. Nothing but headaches. The FF800 is fucking awesome. As stated above, the routing options are endless (even when powered off).

The totalmix software is great too.