Remote Recording - Drums

Razorjack

Bass Behemoth
Jun 13, 2004
Manchester, UK
www.pythiamusic.com
I've got to record drums at a bands rehersal room soon and my interface has only 10 inputs so I'm going to be hiring (well, getting stuff through my mate who works at a hire company) another interface and some preamps.

I'm looking at needing around 16 channels so I was thinking a MOTU 828mkII with an Octopre but that leaves me with only 10 preamps. Does anyone have any experience with the MOTU 896? With the Octopre it would give me the 16 preamp inputs.

Also, what mics would you guys recommend for close micing cymbals? I was thinking two cymbals per mic, are C414's good for this job?

when i took my mobile rig to Ohio to record Kevin Talley of Chimaira's tracks for the DAATH album the first thing i tried was an 896 with an octpre...i had no luck at all in getting them to sync.. they just wouldn't clock... so i moved to the 828mk2 and 2 Octapres.. that worked fine.. go figure.

James Murphy said:
when i took my mobile rig to Ohio to record Kevin Talley of Chimaira's tracks for the DAATH album the first thing i tried was an 896 with an octpre...i had no luck at all in getting them to sync.. they just wouldn't clock... so i moved to the 828mk2 and 2 Octapres.. that worked fine.. go figure.

Thanks for the reply, for some reason I had not even thought of using two Octopre's with an 828mkII.

James Murphy said:
Been listening to those 3 Daath songs quite a bit latey and have been really digging them. I did'nt realize Kevin Talley played drums on them. I guess he's on the entire hinderers? cd? He kicks ass! :headbang: