Express Card / 34 with FireWire port for a PowerBook?

Jan 10, 2005
I need another FireWire400 port on my PowerBook G4 15". I only have one, need two. I looked around and I could only find one of those cards that you can put in the slot on the side that had two USB2.0 ports and one FW400 port, but it only works on Win98-XP...not Mac OS X 10.3. I was wondering if I should check out any specific places, I tried BestBuy, CicuitCity, and CompUSA with no luck, only the Windows compliant ones. Basically I'm looking to run a MOTU HD192 core and a MOTU 24 I/O as expansion so that I can record live sound on my laptop, getting rid of my Digi002R and OctoPre. I was thinking I could just daisy chain the HD192 and 24 I/O to each other, but it says I have to connect both to the PCI-424 card, which I can't put in my laptop, only my PowerMac, and a tower isn't exactly practical for lugging to a live show to record on location. I have an external Glyph GT drive that's FW800, so that's fine.

I'm wondering also if I could even plug the HD192 and the 24 I/O in at the same time, and use both, given that I had 2 FW400 ports. Realistically, I would only need the 24I/O for the live stuff since I need nothing but TRS inputs from the live board's outputs. I still want the HD192 as my interface for my home studio as well, since my 002R will be gone.

Any MOTU savvy guys here that could help me out?

~006

006 said:
I need another FireWire400 port on my PowerBook G4 15". I only have one, need two. I looked around and I could only find one of those cards that you can put in the slot on the side that had two USB2.0 ports and one FW400 port, but it only works on Win98-XP...not Mac OS X 10.3. I was wondering if I should check out any specific places, I tried BestBuy, CicuitCity, and CompUSA with no luck, only the Windows compliant ones. Basically I'm looking to run a MOTU HD192 core and a MOTU 24 I/O as expansion so that I can record live sound on my laptop, getting rid of my Digi002R and OctoPre. I was thinking I could just daisy chain the HD192 and 24 I/O to each other, but it says I have to connect both to the PCI-424 card, which I can't put in my laptop, only my PowerMac, and a tower isn't exactly practical for lugging to a live show to record on location. I have an external Glyph GT drive that's FW800, so that's fine.

I'm wondering also if I could even plug the HD192 and the 24 I/O in at the same time, and use both, given that I had 2 FW400 ports. Realistically, I would only need the 24I/O for the live stuff since I need nothing but TRS inputs from the live board's outputs. I still want the HD192 as my interface for my home studio as well, since my 002R will be gone.

Any MOTU savvy guys here that could help me out?

~006
hd192 and 24i/o are pci audio not firewire. if you need firewire go with an 828 and an adat unit and you can get 18 inputs going. if you have spdif you could get 20 going.

Right, but isn't is just a FireWire connection from the HD192/24IO to the PCI-424 card anyway?

I really wanted the HD192 and 24IO setup, but the 828mkII was my first choice months ago when I started thinking about getting rid of my 002R. I could also keep my OctoPre with it's ADAT out, I really like that feature, plus I'd save like $1,500 going that route...but like I said I was really hoping to have the 192HD (maybe two) specifically for my home studio's front-end. Wait a sec...I'll be using that with my G5 which has the ports and slots I need....nvm. I think I've found a solution, save money on the 24IO and just get the 828mkII for the mobile, then two HD192's for home. Weeee. Thanks Pauly.

~006

006 said:
Right, but isn't is just a FireWire connection from the HD192/24IO to the PCI-424 card anyway?

I really wanted the HD192 and 24IO setup, but the 828mkII was my first choice months ago when I started thinking about getting rid of my 002R. I could also keep my OctoPre with it's ADAT out, I really like that feature, plus I'd save like $1,500 going that route...but like I said I was really hoping to have the 192HD (maybe two) specifically for my home studio's front-end. Wait a sec...I'll be using that with my G5 which has the ports and slots I need....nvm. I think I've found a solution, save money on the 24IO and just get the 828mkII for the mobile, then two HD192's for home. Weeee. Thanks Pauly.

~006
no problem:kickass: