Adding inputs to Motu 8pre (Drum Tracking)

jheckath

New Metal Member
May 10, 2017
hey all,

I'm currently using a Motu 8pre FireWire to record drums with 8 preamps available. I want to add more inputs to close mic parts of the kit and add room mics, what 8-input interface would anyone with knowledge on this recommend me pair with it that is able to add the inputs needed to get to 16 ins?

I'm having a tough time figuring out what units are compatible with what or if I need another separate converter altogether. I would prefer to keep this as cost-effective as possible, even though that can be paradoxical with anything drum recording.

I'm eyeing the Art Tubeopto 8, would love to try some tubes on drums but not sure if the Adat will add any available inputs to the 8pre.

Any information and/or recommendation will be much appreciated!

If you want to go cost effective then Behringer ada8000 proved to be real workhorse. Even hit hard gearslutz forum on blind comparison.

If you want to go cost effective then Behringer ada8000 proved to be real workhorse. Even hit hard gearslutz forum on blind comparison.

I've seen this unit, can it be paired with the Motu 8pre for 8 additional pres linked together?

Thanks!

Try to go for any 8-preamp expansion with ADAT IN and OUT so you can choose to use the internal clock of the 8pre, which has no other clock output options.
Having said that, I'd go for another 8pre or if you are on a budget, a Behringer ADA8000/82000 as suggested or an older interface like M-Audio Profire 2626 will do.

Try to go for any 8-preamp expansion with ADAT IN and OUT so you can choose to use the internal clock of the 8pre, which has no other clock output options.
Having said that, I'd go for another 8pre or if you are on a budget, a Behringer ADA8000/82000 as suggested or an older interface like M-Audio Profire 2626 will do.

Thanks guys, gave me all I needed to know