motu 8pre + ada8000 (delay via adat)

xconnyx

www.iheartsound.com
May 30, 2007
germany/bielefeld
www.iheartsound.com
i recived my first 8pre today and i tested if there is a time difference between the 8pre's digital conversion and the conversion from behringers ada8000 which is connected via adat to the 8pre.

and it is just as i thought, there is a time difference. it is not a huge difference but there is a difference. for some interesting reason the a/d conversion of the ada8000 is faster than the 8pres conversion. so the wave form of the ada8000 starts earlier than the wave of the 8pre.

i split a trigger with a y cable to motu input 1 and ada8000 input 8 recorded everything in cubase with 16tracks and there is a difference of one completed wave from. to make sure i connected the trigger also to motu1 and ada1, motu8 and ada1. every time the same latency between the tracks.

btw: motu1 and motu8 = no difference, like it should be
and: ada1 and ada8 = no difference

so when it comes down, this combination is not really usable for tracking drums and everything where you can get phase problems because of runtime differences.

i would like to know if this is with every adat extension on fw/usb2 interfaces. i will get my next 8pre soon so this wont bother me anymore, i just wanted to let you guys know.

thanks for listening