Time of Orchids

Krilons Resa

Jerry's married?!
Nov 7, 2002
Inside dorian's gym bag.
This band has absolutely consumed me for the past month. Particularly their last two albums; Sarcast While and Namesake Caution. They are not for everyone but if you enjoy bands like Kayo Dot, Beach Boys, Thinking Plague, King Crimson, Yes, Don Caballero, Mr. Bungle, Fantomas, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum,and maybe Devin Townsend (yeah, i know), then maybe you should check it out with an open mind. It takes multiple listens to take it all in but once it starts clicking you can't get enough of it. Phenomenal compositions. Like crack with onion layers.

1288603303_time-of-orchids_sarcast-while_2005.jpg

a3061728882_2.jpg

The Earth Goatsie just adds to the awesomeness.

Best shit I have heard in a LOOOONG time.

10 years ago I would've bought this.

I like it, but one listen isn't enough.

We'll see if it calls me back again...!

Gorgeous vocal harmonies.

---

Affairs of clever penalty
Blushes in sullen senses
Risk anything for a taste
This fruit of fortresses

Suspect in labor lifelong
A vicious artistry unfolds
Spreading its figure into form
And though it's just out of your reach
Harsh words are used to bring you near
They speak of luster bound by shade

And after all, it's a faultless divide
But it's only matter, a single moment
Into rush, what a high-minded crime

The treacherous pulse of savages

Harken back, villainy
Lingering golden rule
In the dread and nape
Armored lovers share alike
New theater veils its purposes
A baseborn urgency dwells
In the thickest skin
Wearing itself thin

With a cold and clamping hand
Withstand arrival assumed
A busybody in full view
Arching its way toward paradise
A fellow haunting in frame, sworn
Channels its dues, closer it looms

Bear the pain of wages won
Glimpses of our mythmakers
Bad tidings sent from majesty

In guise, it teems with in-betweens
Crowned, naughtiest, lurches intrigue
A fond farewell to more than it seems

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are seriously missing out. These albums have quickly become two of my favorite albums of ALL FUCKING TIME; especially Namesake Caution.

Great Bands No Longer With Us Part 1

My listening time has been significantly less recently, so to give myself some time between reviews of releases to find and digest things, I’m going to start a series on bands I love that have broken up. The first is Time of Orchids. I don’t know what label they prefer, but it probably isn’t metal. They were a NYC based group that existed 1999-2008 (or around there).

Time of Orchids is one of my favorite bands of all time for lots of reasons. First, even 6 years after the album Sarcast While released, it still interests me. I’m not sure I can think of any album that has lasted this long for me. As with any band, it can be hard to give a good overview of their entire life due to changes in style and lineup.

One thing that stayed constant through their albums was the extremely innovative sound. This band never even sounded the same track to track on an album. They had bass heavy funky sounds, to entirely choral work, to piano rock, to heavy metal, to synth infused poppy songs.

The melody lines were quite abstract and unorthodox. At first it would sound very strange, yet this is one area the band excelled. They put a lot of time and effort into melody. This becomes clearer upon many listens. The originally strange sounding melody would transform into absolute beauty. The melodies over time became natural enough to get stuck in my head.

Underneath the melodies would be intense harmonic progressions. These guys were not kidding around with breaking all conventions. They often had absolutely no tonal center and were full of dissonance. On the other hand, just like the melody it would seem like the most natural thing in the world after a few listens. In fact, the dissonance was clearly a compositional device to enhance the beautiful parts.

The way Time of Orchids could play with time was pretty awesome as well. The time signatures were fairly standard, but songs were spiced up with individual measures changed, dropped beats, or mid-song tempo fluctuation.

Best of all is probably the compositional rigor and patience of the band. Their song construction was very thorough. It is composed music as opposed to working a jam into a song like many bands do. Everyone’s part was written to fit into the whole. Motifs were explored and developed through individual songs and whole albums. Classic techniques like inversion, retrograde, and embellishment are absolutely everywhere. This rewards lots of listening.

One thing that I would change is the sometimes use of synthesizer that sounds very dated now. If you are interested in this band, I’d definitely recommend Sarcast While as a starting point. On the other hand, I think Namesake Caution is just as good, but might be more interesting to a metal fan. One thing that cannot be emphasized enough is how Time of Orchids were able to use all these avant modern compositional techniques yet produce rock/metal albums that still somehow felt in the genre.