Timo Tolkki's Retirement?

via http://www.bravewords.com/news/175934 :

Guitarist Timo Tolkki (SYMFONIA/ex-STRATOVARIUS) has issued the following statement:

"As I am writing this on Friday (January 13th) morning sipping my coffee, many thoughts and feelings enter my mind. Ever since I published the blog about retiring from music business, many people have contacted me and asked me not to do so. That is why I decided to clarify some things and write some more about it.

First of all, if someone got the picture that I am blaming the fans about the current situation in music business, I am really sorry. That is not at all how I think. I cherish and thank each and everyone that have given me and my music the amazing support in good and bad times.

Secondly there have been some criticism about my decision, even some people have called me a coward. I know it is hard to understand what is really going on in the business at the moment. I mean globally in the whole world. Not just in your city. The signs have been there already about 10 years and of course this was expected. People don’t buy records anymore. Before you rush to say: 'but I do', let me tell you that I have a better vantage point to the whole music business globally to say this. There are reasons for me to act the way I do. This is not even about the quality of music in the vein of if I make bad records and people don’t want to buy them. It really is true that the records sales are down and are going down and more and more changes will happen and they will not be for the better. The remaining record companies are extremely careful what kind of bands and music they will sign and if they sign, they will control the music and the style very aggressively.This will result to a controlled and boring system musically and ultimately could even kill the music as a physical or digital format. In the times of BACH and BEETHOVEN there were no records. The music was only heard live. But also live music suffers from declining sales because people dont have the money to see all those 30 bands in a month that come to the city.

All this made me to think really hard about my future and the next 10-15 years. Having worked extensively in the last 20 years I simply think it is time to evaluate what it is that I have left to say. I always said that I will play as long as people want to listen. But one thing has dawned me in the last few months: it doesn’t matter to me if people want to listen to my music anymore. This means the ultimate freedom musically.

Another thing is that although I have written about retirement from music business. But I have’t written about retiring from music. I believe music is a gift. And this gift must be used. But sometimes it is not easy. I believe that my 22 years in Stratovarius and five CD’s I have released after that, the music seminars I have held all over the world, the productions and all that goes with it are a lot. How much can you give after you have given it all?

Anyway, I haven’t given up music. I look at the scene and understand that I have nothing to do with what used to be so important to me for example when I was 30 years old. I believe in evolution in music and musical career. Evolution as a whole. Not picking a random record and say: “that sucks”. The whole body of work. I think that every record I ever made, has its place in the discography of my life. As I grow older, soon being 46, I can envision my music evolving towards goals and themes that are closer to my soul than the music I wrote when I was 32. I don’t believe in singing about Legions of the Twilight when I am 50, but that’s just me. I think I have a lot of music developing in me but what kind of music it is, not even I know. The future will tell but I think you will hear from me still one day. My intuition is telling me this."

Being bipolar has to suck not only for the people he deals with, but for him personally as well. You know he has to have occasional lucid moments when he thinks "What the hell is wrong with me?"

Plus, I totally agree with the above sentiment about not wanting to tour at the bottom of the ladder (Ramen noodles, shitty clubs & small audiences) when you're in your mid-40's. That would suck no matter how old you are, IMO.

Timo's larger sentiment about the state of the business is, IMO, a commentary on how a musician of his stature (20+ years in the business, etc) views himself. Things in the music business are absolutely NOT how they were when he started. This is where, IMO, veteran musicians need to reassess their expectations when it comes to how they will continue (or not) to make music. Especially those who are no longer a part of the band that established them (in his case, Stratovarius).

Were he still a part of Strato, he could no doubt eek out a modest living and continue to record with no more than your average issues, as long as there was a label willing to support them financially. But he's not. Just being "Timo Tolkki formerly of Stratovarius" is also not enough to warrant interest from the "money lenders" in the music business. On a much smaller scale, it's the same reason why Van Halen could continue to play arenas while DLR was playing clubs in the mid-90's...it's all about the brand.

So, back to reassessing expectations (and this goes for pretty much everyone). Much of this boils down to world economy and the availability of music. Tolkki was right. People can't afford to go to every show. Nor can they afford to buy every album. Without going round and round again about downloading, the way people consume music in general is changing. The collectors are getting old and new collectors are collecting newer music.

Everything is scaling downward. The money is just not there anymore for production OR consumption. Musicians like Tolkki (or even smaller) need to scale down thier expectations, IMO. Pursue their passion for music on a scale at which they can afford to do so. In other words, "prepare for the worst, but hope for the best." Things are not going to be what they once were.

While I can understand others disdain for someone with a bit of a strong ego, it does in fact go with the territory with creative people. Not making excuses for Timo, he's put himself in some of the predicaments he's been in along the way, but I still go back to the fact that he brought us Stratovarius... a band that is as much of a foundation of prog power metal as anything was/is. So I will put up with his quirks, or for that matter most of the quirks some musicians exhibit. I don't look at creating music as an assembly line like they're pushing out product year after year, but I can understand fans who do see it that way. I just wish the best for the guy and hope he can get in a situation he's happy with whether it's in or out of music.

The latest from Tolkki. This was posted on Facebook today.

294936_3472343658826_1578180610_2749394_1381986712_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3472343658826&set=p.3472343658826&type=1&theater

Saw something about this a couple weeks ago, and meant to post a joke about the retirement being shorter than the average Bret Favre attempt.

I'm intrigued based on the singers (Mike Vescera, Michelle Luppi), but since it's Timo I'm still hesitant.

I didn't care much for Tolkki's stuff since a while and I can understand most of his points, but what bugs me in this statement is the story about Uli Kusch...This guy is ready to rent his name to appear on an album he didn't play on at all for cash? I know that 10,000 or 13,000 euros is fine money, but from now, whenever I'll see a band with Uli Kusch in the line-up, I won't believe it's his drumming that I'll hear...

Well, I have great news! I know times are tough, and not every band may have 10000 - 13000 euros to spend on pretending that Uli Kusch played drums on their record. So, I'm ready to announce that I'll let any band pretend that I played drums on their record for a mere 100 - 130 euros! Throw in a ham sandwich and some chips or something, and I'll even appear in booklet photos, making funny faces, or whatever! I'm telling you, it's the deal of the century! :loco:

So he wants people to pay for his album recordings, that can ultimately be done at his own personal home studio?

He must be behind on his rent... :lol:

Timo Tapio Tolkki must be off his meds again. He should seriously get a real job and give up the music business.