Timo Tolkki tells the world the truth

AngraRULES

Aug 1, 2002
Visit site
Ahhhh, the Timo soap opera continues...

Yesterday, the website www.delfos.jor.br published a recent interview with Timo Tolkki. In this interview (in Portuguese) talked about Revolution Renaissance's Age of Aquarius, guitar gear AND... Stratovarius.

Now everyone asks me. "Who cares?" and "Why is this relevant?"

Well, this is why... He pretty much admits in this interview what the whole world was already thinking... the whole Stratovarius crisis (circa 2003-2004) was purely a marketing thing, orchestrated by the band, some members of the record label, management and such. He said Miss K. was used as a tool, the whole bloody incident, the stabbing, and the package shipped to him with shit were all false. All bullshit.

Here are some of the quotes (I didn't want to translate the whole interview 'cause it's long):

On the 2004 crisis:

"We signed a deal with a record label named Sanctuary, and they gave us a plan to follow. A marketing stunt."

"Everything that happened beginning in October 2003 was false. It was all a lie. The only real event was my nervous collapse in April 2004. Everything else was meticulously calculated by people, including some executives of Sanctuary."

"I gave people my OK and because of that, everyone thinks I planned it all by myself. I didn't. It's impossible to do something like that by yourself. The stabbing, Miss K., everything was fake."

"It was all like a reality show, but it wasn't right. And now, we're paying the price. Not financially, but it really caused problems for the band."

On Miss K.:

"She's a real singer, but she served as a tool for us. There was a script that me and Jens would work on and trade ideas. Then she asked us if we were without a vocalist. We started talking to her, and used her as a tool for our plan."

"There was never real intention of having her as a vocalist for Stratovarius. Of course I didn't care or understand the consequences, so all of the hatred was generated towards me. And because of that, I had a nervous breakdown."

On the "return" and the self-titled Stratovarius album:

"I call it the black album, because there's so much darkness involving it. It's a lie, I don't consider it a Stratovarius album. To me, the band ended with the Elements records.

I guess this could all explain the whole saga. If anyone wants to see the interview (again, it's in Portuguese), here's the link:

http://www.delfos.jor.br/conteudos/index_interna.php?id=5424&id_secao=2&id_subsecao=15

I doubt he's telling the truth. If he wasn't having a breakdown then, why does the band break up because he has another breakdown later? Sounds to me like he's trying to make people think he was just foolin' when he was acting crazy. And at the same time trying to take Stratovarius' reputation down with him.

I agree. Polaris is the best album since Infinite.

And both Revolution Renaissance albums have been mediocre. Although Tobias Sammet and Michael Kiske saved the first one. Which proves that they can sing anything.

Actually, this is old news. He let the "cat out of the bag" last March. Basically he concocted this scheme, force the others to go along with it, it all blew up in his face, then he tried to spread the blame. Yawn. Who gives a crap? The "new" Strato is way better. Tolkki lost his creative spark when he sold his soul to deceitful marketing.

This "truth" is more "the latest version of the truth." This guy goes back and forth between so many damned stories, looking for the truth in the middle would be like getting 10 metal fans to agree on genres.

I think this may be the only case in which I actually prefer a band without any of its original members. I never thought I'd say that.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert