Timo Tolkki REALLY needs to stop talking....

Jasonic

Doom On!
Apr 14, 2004
West Burbs of Chicago
Yet more entertaining reading thanks to Tolkki, who is now astounded that the boys carried on the band as STRATOVARIUS, following his departure.

Sorry Timo, Strato WITHOUT you recorded the amazing Polaris, which is the best output by the band in MANY years.....

Iron Maiden Argentina FC: Why finally did you choose to yield the rights on the catalogue and STRATOVARIUS's name to your ex-companions?

Tolkki: Well the reason was that when I decided to leave STRATOVARIUS, I had my reasons and I had been thinking about the for over a year already. So I did have very rational reasons for leaving. What I could not even imagine in my wildest dreams was that they would continue the band without me with the same name. Continue, yes, but to call it STRATOVARIUS, that was the problem I had. I never brought myself forward in STRATOVARIUS as a guitar hero or something. I was always one of the guys although I wrote 95% of the songs and produced the albums. I always said that if [Timo] Kotipelto [vocals], Jens [Johansson, keyboards] or Jörg [Michael, drums] leaves the band, it cannot be called STRATOVARIUS anymore. So therefore I think that decision was morally wrong. And my life philosophy is perhaps a bit different than some other people's so when I hear they will continue as STRATOVARIUS, and I owned the name and had contracts with all the musicians, instead of taking them to court, I did the reverse. I gave them everything. Because I really thought, and I continue to think, that the decision to call it STRATOVARIUS without me is morally wrong and I have always stood up for what I believe is right. So I thought, have it all then.

What he is saying is not so absurd... He was the main guy behind the band, it's a little weird that they will carry on with the name without him... I am OK with it, but I do get where he is coming from.

What he is saying is not so absurd... He was the main guy behind the band, it's a little weird that they will carry on with the name without him... I am OK with it, but I do get where he is coming from.

Sorry, but that's BS....

What did he honestly think? They wanted rights to the name, and NOT go on as STRATOVARIUS? Sure, I get that he was a cheif songwriter and producer, but that still doesn't mean that the band would stop going under the name just because he left.

If Deep Purple can successfully carry on without Blackmore, I think Strato can do fine without this hot mess.

Sounds like sour grapes, since no one gave a rat's ass about his new band, as Strato has gotten the best reviews they have gotten in years.

Yeah, I would be astounded too. A valid comparison would be you living with a bunch of guys in a house you owned, and they decided to keep the house for themselves after you moved out.

If I owned the house, they would not have legal rights to be there. Though if I moved out on my own will and they remained, they would ultimately get squatter's rights.

They legally own the name. Why should they not use it?

It's not like when you listen to classic Strato, the ONLY thing that comes to mind is Timo's guitar playing. Even if he wrote 95% of the tunes, Kotipelto's lyrics, Jens keys, and Jorg's drumming made the music he wrote actual "songs"

Once again, this has happened with much bigger and better bands.

For goodness sakes. The guy even admits he turned over the band name. How the hell can he be surprised that they chose to carry on with the name. If they had no intention, they wouldn't even want it. They would then let it die, and have the existing contracts determine the future royalty payouts.

Are you saying he did not?
All I can go on is the quote.
Timo says he owned the name. Using my own example, that means he owned the house and they DID become squatters. If he signed over the name after that, I think he did a damn nice thing for them.
I don't know if Deep Purple is a valid comparison, as I think the label owned the name, not RB.

What I honestly feel about about is Gustavo, Bruno and the other members of Revolution Renaissance. All of these guys (most of them at least) joined the band with the hopes that it would actually turn into a big name in the power metal scene, worldwide touring and what not (I know this for a fact before you guys start saying that they all knew what they were getting into). Big shame.

Yes, Timo needs to stfu, but more importantly, why can't interviewers stop asking the same damn questions? This has been hashed to death. Oh, and btw, he's full of poo cause he didn't actually own the rights to the name and everything else he "gave" them really didn't amount to anything. Not going into the details, but believe me, he's not as magnanimous as he tries to sound. Thanks for the contribution, Zod. Always enlightening. :lol::lol:

Edit: Dammit!! I hate when people delete a post you referred to in your post. Well, I'm not changing mine. I know what you said. :devil:

Are you saying he did not?

What I am saying is that he DID own the name.
Re-read the interview above.

He said instead of going to court, he turned over the name to them.

This is why I am shocked that he is astounded they used the name.

Once again, why would he think they wouldn't use the name?

STRATOVARIUS is a top 10, if not top 5, brand in the world of power metal.
Tolkki left on his own, and then gave up the name.

Why the heck would he think they wouldn't use the name still?

Just because he wrote the songs? Bullshit!!!!
Everyone's talents are what help make a song that is written an amazing "song" that people here.

For goodness sakes. The guy even admits he turned over the band name. How the hell can he be surprised that they chose to carry on with the name. If they had no intention, they wouldn't even want it. They would then let it die, and have the existing contracts determine the future royalty payouts.

Exactly. If the guy really didn't want them to continue on with the Stratovarius name he had a choice not to give it to them, but he gave it to them anyways. That's the guy's own damn fault.

What I honestly feel about about is Gustavo, Bruno and the other members of the band. All of these guys (most of them at least) joined the band with the hopes that it would actually turn into a big name in the power metal scene, worldwide touring and what not (I know this for a fact before you guys start saying that they all knew what they were getting into). Big shame.

Not sure your point at all dude.

Big shame? The band is getting the best reviews they have had in years.
Polaris must have sold well enough that it's going into a second pressing.
They have done many tours already, and have an upcoming one with Helloween.

How could it get any bigger for any power metal band????????

Not sure your point at all dude.

Big shame? The band is getting the best reviews they have had in years.
Polaris must have sold well enough that it's going into a second pressing.
They have done many tours already, and have an upcoming one with Helloween.

How could it get any bigger for any power metal band????????

I'm talking about Revolution Renaissance, Jason. Not Strato. I guess I should've been more clear. Sorry bud!

Just because he wrote the songs? Bullshit!!!!
Everyone's talents are what help make a song that is written an amazing "song" that people here.

Right. And if they were to start a whole new brand, they would practically have to start from the ground up. Not using the name would be dumb and they wouldn't be nearly as successful.

Exactly. If the guy really didn't want them to continue on with the Stratovarius name he had a choice not to give it to them, but he gave it to them anyways. That's the guy's own damn fault.

Word. It's all ego.

He WANTED them deep down to continue and then fail, thinking that his new band would be the one to prevail. Well, the opposite happened, and it's all sour grapes.

Look, I don't hate on the guy. He wrote some of the best power metal of all time. Once drama gets involved, it gets in the way, and the fans have to suffer through Elements I, Elements II, and the S/T. (No need to discuss further, as I know some fans like those albums, and that's fine, but they simply are not up to Strato quality).

Polaris brings the band back to where they are truly capable of, now that drama is gone.

Word. It's all ego.

He WANTED them deep down to continue and then fail, thinking that his new band would be the one to prevail. Well, the opposite happened, and it's all sour grapes.

Polaris brings the band back to where they are truly capable of, now that drama is gone.

This.

Right. And if they were to start a whole new brand, they would practically have to start from the ground up. Not using the name would be dumb and they wouldn't be nearly as successful.

Yep, pretty amazing that a professional musician would be so oblivious to these facts, but then again, he does have issues (and I am not poking fun at him here, just stating a fact).

I am sure it has been hard seeing them carry on successfully, as he has to repeatedly speak to how there was no interest in his new band.

Well, like anything. Never say never.
He should have probably kept his yap shut, as you never know when you might have a chance to reconcile and rejoin the fold. I would say he screwed the pooch on this one, and possibly his chances of having a viable band from this point forward.

I knew some day we would see eye to eye!!! :headbang:

Hey, it's been happening more and more often lately. You gotta remember that every day that goes by, we get close to the end of days booked for 2012. Us agreeing is nothing but a sign that shit's gonna hit the fan soon.