tips for a guitarist playing the bass?

Avoid chords and solos. Hell, avoid anything that is not the lowest string. Everytime I see a guitarrist playing bass they are doing licks and arpeggios, and it always sound like shit.

actually on my bass I find I like the tone better when picking closer to the neck. What we can agree on is that where you pick can drastically alter the tone so experiment for yourself

+1
I guess it depends more on the player than the bass itself, as I always like my tone better when playing close to the neck.

I was/am a bassist before I was a guitarist so my approach may be a little different.

-There is no shame in simplicity. Every instrument has a part to play.
-Learn the instrument in earnest, not as a guitarist learning the bass. I strongly advise learning fingerstyle first. Its much easier to grasp the dynamics of playing bass that way. Make sure to actually learn what purpose the bassline serves in blues/jazz based styles instead of just starting to mirror guitar riffs.
-The bass can often convey a melodic idea better than a guitar. Ever listen to Iron Maiden?
-Another IM related one. Don't waste your money on flatwounds. Steve Harris can do it because he is god. You will sound like shit.

Heres some recs for good first songs to learn

Iron Maiden - Revelations
Iron Maiden - Wrathchild
Deep Purple - Sail Away
Deep Purple - Perfect Strangers
Black Sabbath - NIB
Black Sabbath - Sweet Leaf
Black Sabbath - (After All) The Dead
Black Sabbath - Into The Void

As has been said, pick hard and consistently, and I'll add a) when tuning, pick hard so you know you won't go sharp, and b) try to pick closer to the bridge
Pretty much this. Less is more and when in doubt STFU. (Almost) Noone wants a bass solo so chill out and try to accurately and confidently bridge the gap between the guitars and drums. If you can't double something cleanly play half as many notes.

Lock in with the drummer like a motherfucker. Think carefully about your runs etc and pick like a mad man.

Most of all, have fun :D

Probably the first thing you will notice is how much difference a new set of strings will make to your tone compared to changing strings on the guitar and the price of it lol.
Also until you get the hang with consistancy on string attack you might want to invest in a compression pedal.

I like to pick about half way between the neck p/up and the bridge, just before the bridge p/up

tis the sweet spot... and don't dare pussy pick... your bass will appreciate you more if you play properly...

Yeah, but when your picking hard. Try not to be the cliche dickhead bass player with his strings clacking against his fucking neck/picks/body/etc... whatever.

I want to hear notes not a loud ass CLACK in the middle of the brootalz.

so what would be some advice on getting rid of that nasty clickity clack sound? the bass i got is notorious for a lot of fret buzz.

Octaves can be your best friend when playing bass.
I feel when used at the right time, for whatever genre, they can really make a bass line come alive.

don't palm mute... play "open"... and really make sure you nail the pocket.

don't always do exactly what the guitar is doing, but rather play complimentary parts, that lock really well with the drums, esp. kick, and that provide some added harmonic interest.

bounce around on octaves and fifths... not like playing a chord... but pedaling.

Yeah, but when your picking hard. Try not to be the cliche dickhead bass player with his strings clacking against his fucking neck/picks/body/etc... whatever.

I want to hear notes not a loud ass CLACK in the middle of the brootalz.

sent a session bassist back home to NY after a day trying to get him to stop doing this... i ended up playing all the bass on the album

Was it this guy by chance?

+1 on the pedaling comment. There is a session bassist here that I outsource work to from time to time and he always bounces around the riff in such a way. Adds a lot more interest when the low-end is bouncing around, rather than stationary. But it absolutely HAS to lock with the kick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed about the pedaling, locking in with the drums etc. Our current bassists has been playing for a fair while now, and I really have learned to appreciate quality writing on bass parts because of it. Sure, sometimes it just pays to hold the rhythm quite boringly, it just happens and is necessary sometimes. But when there's a chance to groove and do something interesting, and when it's done well, then I'm usually very, very impressed with the results. Farting around with octaves, little runs even, or on chord parts playing a higher harmony on the bass notes, it just makes the song live a little more. All hail good bassists, all slap shit bass in the head :p

Goes for any instrument really though haha