Tired of active pickups...

I don't know how the Evolution is NOT a good metal pickup. I switched from EMGs to the DiMarzios and I love it. The Evo in the bridge of my Music Man is really tight and articulate and a LOT more dynamic and harmonically rich than either the 81 or 85. One thing I would caution you on though is when I pt the Evo in at first, my natural tendency was to put it as close as I could to the strings for max output. It sounded muddy/bassy as a mofo. I lowered it till that went away and it now it's perfect. I'm actually looking to swap it for a lower output pickup like a PAF Pro.

Seems to me that the best guitar sounds are med output pickups into high gain amps with a TS/boost to 'make up' for the lack of output. The EMG's have all the power you should ever need, theoretically, but somehow they lack all the dynamics of a med output pickup with a good OD/Boost.

Just my .02

BTW - I thought it was ironic and comical that the new EMG's were designed to sound more like passive pickups. Saw it somewhere in the NAMM coverage for their new series.

I have a DiMarzio Super Distortion installed in my Ibanez SZ (Mahogany body, mahogany neck, maple top).

Overall, it's a fatter-sounding pickup. It makes the already fat-sounding SZ sound HUGE. It's usually a love/hate thing with it, but right now, I'm loving it.

What I like about it is that it is not a dark-sounding pickup (IMO), but it doesn't have those harsh high frequencies that I pesronally find most Duncans have. The thing is just plain super-agressive, super fat, but it does not sacrifice clarity in the least.

Bah I have duncan's on my schecter c7 and on my Jackson rhodes bill larence L500-XL's, while on my burny lespaul and on my LTDMH1000 I got emg's.
I tell ya I'm sick of passive pickups, they're dirtier than my active pu's.
People say passive are smoother, to me they're not, actives are way smoother.... for istance listen to David gilmour tone

Tons of people rave about Bareknuckles, but since it's so hard to directly A/B passive pickups, I have to wonder how much of their praise might come from the fact that they had to spend a boatload on them :loco: (meaning, everyone's like, "I had this, then I got this Bareknuckle, and the difference was amazing!", and it could easily just be psychological - or maybe not of course!) And the most popular Duncan seems to be the Custom (SH-5), though Lasse raved about the Alternative VIII (SH-15) in this thread, so that one seems worth investigating too!

Nah. It's nothing to do with their price. They're fucking good pickups, and until you've tried them, you can't really say anything. I've got a Nailbomb set in my Les Paul; totally made the guitar anew!

If it was anything to do with price, I'd prefer the Phase90 to the Small Stone by EHX; and I don't!! The SS slays the ph90!

My seven string guitar have a mahogany body.... I've put an Dimarzio Evolution 7 at the bridge and a Paf 7 at the neck.... This guitar sound awsome!

Jeb

BTW - I thought it was ironic and comical that the new EMG's were designed to sound more like passive pickups. Saw it somewhere in the NAMM coverage for their new series.

Well the X-series (what you're referring to) are pretty much meant to be an answer to the Duncan Blackouts, and it's not like they're replacing the old standards :D

may I ask why is it you don't like active pups anymore?

I've found that a workaround to the very annoying tone degradation from batteries wearing out can be solved by using rechargeable batteries. Also I dunno if you have made this, but an 18v or 27v mod can really bring your actives to life!

None of the bands I like -black metal bands- use passives (at least not for bridge position).