Tired of active pickups...

I can't recommend the Dimarzio D-activator enough. It's a wonderful pickup that is great for high gain sounds, but is very dynamic.
It was originally created for the Ibanez Xiphos guitars, to sound a lot like an EMG81, but still deliver the benefits of a passive pickup (in a nice Dimarzio dynamic overtones way, and not in a blackouts just being a bit better than EMGs kind of way).

I have a set of blackouts in an ESP horizon of mine, which is made from mahogany, and it sounds absolutely amazing. The neck pickup has that nice 'vowel' sound to Dimarzios that a lot of people like, and the bridge has quite a lot of balls.

I have some crappy recordings around somewhere (been a while since I played the ESP) which I can show you if you want, or you could wait until I get it back from the repair shop (needed a new nut) in about a week, and I can record something for you with it. :)

and Harry Häussels

Psssst! Talking bout secret ingredients here Jocke... ;) Harry builds some seriously good pups, at a very fair price...

+1, the custom custom is a great choice for bright guitars imo, I had one in a maple guitar and sounded great :)

No shit, if my all-maple Tele had a Humbucker fitting at the bridge, I quite possibly slap one in... Great pick-up for bright guitars!

Not actually used active pickups myself but over the years I've been used Duncan JB, Jazz, 59, Custom, Swineshead Venom, Rio Grande Texas BBQ Bucker and a set of Bareknuckle Nailbombs. All good pickups in their own right.

I will admit to being a huge fan of my Bareknuckles, and its not just a price thing. I spent nearly £200 on mine and if they didn't sound good enough to justify the huge price they would have been sent right back!

Duncans aren't crap by any means, and I'm very fond of my Rio Grande for punk/rock stuff, but Bareknuckles just seem to have a great balance of lots of power without sacrificing musicality. Well worth a try imho.

Define "better"

Well the general consensus with blackouts is that people say "they're like passive emgs! OMFG!!11eleven", when really, they sort of similar to emgs, but still very much active pickups, and people who know a lot about pickups still don't find them to be very 'passive' sounding (at least I don't compared to good passives anyway).

But D Activators are VERY MUCH passive pickups, but still sound tight and big like an emg81, so I wasn't trying to say one thing is better than the other, I'm just trying to put emphasis on the fact that when people see D activators being advertised as something trying to sound like an active pickup, but still be very much passive, dynamic, lively, etc, they REALLY are.

:)

I hope that clears up confusion. I know we were talking about blackouts in the blackout thread and I wasn't making myself clear enough in there too. :lol:

Well the general consensus with blackouts is that people say "they're like passive emgs! OMFG!!11eleven", when really, they sort of similar to emgs, but still very much active pickups, and people who know a lot about pickups still don't find them to be very 'passive' sounding (at least I don't compared to good passives anyway).

But D Activators are VERY MUCH passive pickups, but still sound tight and big like an emg81, so I wasn't trying to say one thing is better than the other, I'm just trying to put emphasis on the fact that when people see D activators being advertised as something trying to sound like an active pickup, but still be very much passive, dynamic, lively, etc, they REALLY are.

:)

I hope that clears up confusion. I know we were talking about blackouts in the blackout thread and I wasn't making myself clear enough in there too. :lol:

You are the first I've heard who actually really likes D-activators :ill:The general consensus seems to be go active or go passive, stay away from passives wanna-be high gainers en actives wanna-be low gainers.

I'd personally call up Bareknuckle Pickups and ask them for a recommendation for your guitar and playing style. Do make sure you get the uncovered version though...covered doesn't fit certain guitars.

You are the first I've heard who actually really likes D-activators :ill:The general consensus seems to be go active or go passive, stay away from passives wanna-be high gainers en actives wanna-be low gainers.

I'd personally call up Bareknuckle Pickups and ask them for a recommendation for your guitar and playing style. Do make sure you get the uncovered version though...covered doesn't fit certain guitars.

Really? Wow! :lol:

One thing I will try to clear up though, the D Activators aren't as much one of those "passives trying to be actives" as say a Dimarzio X2N, or a Duncan Super Distortion. I've heard those pickups and don't like them, but the D Activators are very good, and actually have their own higher output version out now called the D activator X or something. I imagine they'd be as over the top as other pickups that are passive but supposed to be the next big brutal thing.

Keep an eye out in the rate my tone section, because in the next few days I'm getting my guitar with D Activators back from repairs, so I'll do some little riffs and whatnot. :)

Really? Wow! :lol:

One thing I will try to clear up though, the D Activators aren't as much one of those "passives trying to be actives" as say a Dimarzio X2N, or a Duncan Super Distortion. I've heard those pickups and don't like them, but the D Activators are very good, and actually have their own higher output version out now called the D activator X or something. I imagine they'd be as over the top as other pickups that are passive but supposed to be the next big brutal thing.

Keep an eye out in the rate my tone section, because in the next few days I'm getting my guitar with D Activators back from repairs, so I'll do some little riffs and whatnot. :)

Cool that would be great :kickass:

I would definitely recommend them for a mahogany guitar too Ola, as the guitar I have them in is made from mahogany and it sounds amazing.

The thing with Dimarzio is I really haven't heard many rhythm guys rave about 'em, just shredders, FWIW...

It depends on the model as you would already know certain pickups suit certain woods.

eg Seymour duncan JB is really for mahogany guitars.

The only problem holding back some dimarzio pickups, like the PAF 36 anniversaty is that they use the wrong diamater cable coming out the pickup!!

Gooddamn i've head a few pickups so mabe i can help u a little bit...
- seymour duncan SH8 is (in my opinion) very similar to active EMG 81 (bright)
- Bill Lawrence L500 (the original one - without a sign on it) - not so bright, i've liked it very much - recommending
- seymour duncan SH6 - good pickup, think with better sounding than sh8 - not tu bright, not too dark - everything is cool

Barenuckles. ---> high output? I think the handwound thing is a little over rated :Smug:
Gibson Dirty Fingers. ---> high output

I have no idea if you can get them sold separately but the custom wound joby that Gibson did for the Tony Iommi model Gibson sounds good (really good actually) as well. Although I was told it's just a custom wound burstbucker pro.

Ah yes you can: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/IMTSBK

Tons of people rave about Bareknuckles, but since it's so hard to directly A/B passive pickups, I have to wonder how much of their praise might come from the fact that they had to spend a boatload on them :loco:
haha, of course, BK are the are the best best best best best...........
but you are absolutly right, people tend to behave like you say, to somehow justify their expenses.
so most people who ones bk uses will probably say they rule.
i second that, in my next guitar, who knows.. when,.will be for sure some bareknuckles again..maybe its a bit esoteric, but at the end its important that you feel good about it..and that you like the sound coming out from your guitar.
if you could achieve the same, or similar with a much much cheaper pickup doesnt really matter to some...

I have in 2 Guitars BK Rebel Yells, the absolutly doesnt jent.. so dont take these..
but they are great for more hard-rock stuff

I also have Harry Häussels (Tozz XL) and these are not so djent too,
so not for you..

i throw in the bill lawrence 500xl into the list, you could like that and its also not expensive, imho a great passive pickup for metal

cheers
exoslime