Tired of Tone

Nebulous said:
HAHA, great to see another member of the forum using this too. I baught it a few months back for REAL cheap, and I love it. It obviously isn't anything trumendously awsome, but for the price I don't think it could be beaten. Regardless of the price, it does the job quite well too!

Hopefully in the next week or two i'll have my first clip up on the forum of my new amp. I'm very impressed so far......Stand by for the JSX assult!

Yeah, obviously its not great, but it certainly makes quite a difference, really shows up the pre's in the 896. Considering I paid nothing for it, I can't complain. Obviously eventually I'll buy something high end, but this will certainly keep me going. Can't wait to hear your clips man!

To be honest, the tone doesn'y sound that bad at all in that clip. I reckon with a bit (more?) processing afterwards you could be onto something. I can't really explain the difference in using a preamp, it seems to warm up the tone a bit. If you have £60 to spunk away, I don't think this is a bad choice too be honest. If won't fix your tone, but I have had better results since using it.

Nebulous said:
Tone sounds fine man. I'm not sure what vibe you were going for, though for my own tastes I would take a few mids out.

While I might sound like a dumbass asking this, its a POD right?

3 channel rectifier, no pod, maybe its the o/d pedal youre hearing.

Machinated said:
To be honest, the tone doesn'y sound that bad at all in that clip. I reckon with a bit (more?) processing afterwards you could be onto something. I can't really explain the difference in using a preamp, it seems to warm up the tone a bit. If you have £60 to spunk away, I don't think this is a bad choice too be honest. If won't fix your tone, but I have had better results since using it.

I use the preamps that are used in the breakout box of my soundcard, Sta adc/dac 2000, not great, but does th job. Would a dedicated preamp be worth it ? I've used a little eq and waves c4 but i wouldnt know what else to get the tone any better.

Edit : Sorry, didnt see you were talking to kev. oops.

WOW, ok my bad. Though maybee if your sound card/ pre's aren't all that great, you might like to look into the TubePre also. Good little unit as stated before. The only reason i though it might be POD is because the top end was quite fizzy and flat (to me).