To all four of the remaining Freedom Call fans..

First three are EXCELLENT albums... I maintain....especially the first two which I think are classics in the genre...

Ok, here's the deal... you like Freedom Call? Great. You think they're awesome? Great. I really hope that for the sake of the fans they make it to Atlanta someday (and yes, I mean it). I may not be in the room watching them, but as long as people have fun during their set, it's all good. But to say that those albums are "classics in the genre" (which I assume you mean Power Metal), I think is an absurd of stellar proportions, but hey... whatever floats your boat. :p Freedom Call has never really left the mid-grade, generic pool in my opinion, even though they have a few songs that I don't think are that bad. (Over the Rainbow is fun!)

That video is an embarrassment to the Genre of Power metal. Its like, Oh, we have a budget to do a nice video, I guess we spent all out time thinking about how pretty we look rather than writing good music.

Great to see that Mike Portnoy is staying busy with the acting role and all...

I mean really, what happened to this band?

I really don't know much about them, but based on the video, it just looked like they were out to have a good time. I don't like the music myself, but I can get behind the video and the theme.

I mean, it wasn't Lulu. :D

I really don't know much about them, but based on the video, it just looked like they were out to have a good time. I don't like the music myself, but I can get behind the video and the theme.

I mean, it wasn't Lulu. :D

haha that is true.

I just wish when a band decides to release something like this they drop the "power metal" labeling. This is more like wanna be glam/bro-classic 'heavy metal', and not done well! I can take robin hood from Edguy more seriously than this.

I mean, This is coming from a person who's band had a joke/fun song called Thunder of the Hammer. At least we had riffs in that song. That song has nothing musically to compete against it being just bad.

I have not heard this record or the one before it, so I fear that (i may) end up eating my words... I hope so, but for now, Freedom call used to be a good Power Metal band until they took an arrow in the knee.

Ok, here's the deal... you like Freedom Call? Great. You think they're awesome? Great. I really hope that for the sake of the fans they make it to Atlanta someday (and yes, I mean it). I may not be in the room watching them, but as long as people have fun during their set, it's all good. But to say that those albums are "classics in the genre" (which I assume you mean Power Metal), I think is an absurd of stellar proportions, but hey... whatever floats your boat. :p Freedom Call has never really left the mid-grade, generic pool in my opinion, even though they have a few songs that I don't think are that bad. (Over the Rainbow is fun!)

I disagree. Many Power metal fans consider the first three to be genre classics, and I include myself in that company.

that's exactly my point. If they spent less time trying to be new edguy (and they failed), maybe then they could be taken seriously.

I mean really, what happened to this band?

How exactly did they fail? Edguy became a joke, and Freedom Call has emulated them perfectly.

It should be mentioned that there appears to be a market for this kind of music in Europe. The USA will never be putting the bread on the table for any of these bands.

I disagree. Many Power metal fans consider the first three to be genre classics, and I include myself in that company.

Well. I think there should be a Legendary category added to the general basis. hahahaha I could never be able to put Freedom Call and Blind Guardian on the same level.

How exactly did they fail? Edguy became a joke, and Freedom Call has emulated them perfectly.

It should be mentioned that there appears to be a market for this kind of music in Europe. The USA will never be putting the bread on the table for any of these bands.

It's just way more cheesy. Like moAr cheese. He's got football lines on in heavy metal clothing. Last time I saw that was at an Arch Enemy concert(?) and he winks wearing a superman costume? hahahaha I mean its funny and just ridiculous, but come on... at least robin hood had a much better video.

I don't really care, though to be honest... I just thought it was really ridiculous how some of these "classic" bands have come out with just reeeeealy ridiculous cheese videos. But hey I agree its working somehow over there.. Hell, look how many posts its up to in discussion here on the forum! Its for sure creating noise. :)

Hmm... Perhaps you and I might have a different notion of what consists a classic of the genre? I'd be curious to hear what other albums you'd put in that list. Myself, I'd list Stratovarius' Visions, Helloween's Keeper of the Seven Keys II, Angra's Angels Cry, Labyrinth's Return to Heaven Denied, Blind Guardian's Nightfall in Middle Earth/Imaginations, Rhapsody's Symphony of Enchanted Lands, etc. After reading your reply, I'm wondering if this "genre classic" thing is purely subjective and varies from person to person?

Also, I believe that there's a huge market for what they're doing in Europe. Again, more power to people who really enjoy them. I've tried and they're not for me.

Hmm... Perhaps you and I might have a different notion of what consists a classic of the genre? I'd be curious to hear what other albums you'd put in that list. Myself, I'd list Stratovarius' Visions, Helloween's Keeper of the Seven Keys II, Angra's Angels Cry, Labyrinth's Return to Heaven Denied, Blind Guardian's Nightfall in Middle Earth/Imaginations, Rhapsody's Symphony of Enchanted Lands, etc. After reading your reply, I'm wondering if this "genre classic" thing is purely subjective and varies from person to person?

Subjective? Really? Ya think?

Pretty bad.
Odd how people will slam this, which it deserves, but defend Edguy's Super Heroes. Both bands have regressed to silly 80's styled hair band music.
The difference is that Edguy actually admits that they are going towards a more '80's sound and leave the heavy stuff to Avantasia.

Stratovarius' Visions, Helloween's Keeper of the Seven Keys II, Angra's Angels Cry, Labyrinth's Return to Heaven Denied, Blind Guardian's Nightfall in Middle Earth/Imaginations, Rhapsody's Symphony of Enchanted Lands, etc.

Pure white bread. The hits of the top tier breakout Power Metal bands that can actually headline festivals and tours.

However, Metal and music in general is divided into tears, and what's considered classic at one level won't even register at the next higher level.

There are those that call Zepplin IV, Smoke on the Water, and Back In Black classics, but could care less about British Steel, Powerslave, and Diver Down.

There are lot's of people who consider those latter three to be classics, who don't even know about Angra, Rhapsody, or Labyrinth, much less consider anything by them "classic."

The albums you list are classics at their level, but barely a blip in the next higher tier. Likewise, for those of us who primarily like Power Metal there are classics in the lower tiers. The best of the underground within the underground, so to speak.

At that level I'd rank those first three Freedom Call albums, The first two Falconer albums, Axxis - Kingdom of the Night, Wuthering Heights - Far from the Maddening Crowd, and Astral Doors - Of the Son and the Father to name a few.

Wow, so I just want to note that my "claim" was really not hardly as pretentious as the reply. Gotta remember to step away from the C word and not offend the Sacred Cows Ov Metal.

That label to me is not about what can be name dropped and impress everybody who sees musical taste as some kind of penile extension, or something that can be used strictly to demean other bands who maybe haven't made a record which is as good......in other words, the opposite of how most metal fans seem to review music......personally, it's pretty much about stuff which has impacted me the most in all facets; songwriting and passion firstly.

I think saying 'Symphony of Enchanted Lands' as the best of Rhapsody alone is kind of absurd, much less saying it's akin to 'Return to Heaven Denied' (either of them) or 'Nightfall in Middle Earth'.............. but again..it broke out, it sold well.... people will say OOOOHHHHHH..... it must be a classic...TEH OBJECTIVELY..