To anyone that works on amps (Peavey Windsors!) help!

endofall

Sep 30, 2007
Hey guys I own a peavey windsor. The other day I turned on the amp and it made a static sound then blew the fuse. I noticed smoke coming out of the chassis so I opened it. I haven't owned this amp long and it looks like something was spilled on the power amp pcb board, so I cleaned it off to the best of my ability, hooked it back up today, doubled checked my work, plugged it back up only putting tubes in the 2 outside sockets. When I turned the amp on it made the same noise and then there was a flash in the socket from the PI. So I opened the amp back up, and took some pictures, both power amp sockets for the 1st and second power amp has burn marks around some of the base, also D12 has blown. Any advise on what could be going on would be great!

IMG_2175.jpg

IMG_2174.jpg

IMG_2163.jpg

IMG_2162.jpg

Generally when a tube socket arcs like that you want to go ahead and take it out and replace it. make sure you remove all that carbon because it will cause arcing again. I've had this happen on a JCM2000 before. This could have just been a tube failure, but it might be an amp problem. The easiest way to get tube sockets out is to just cut the socket off the legs and then take each leg out of the pcb individually.

Peavey Windsor Head schematic:
http://bestnetworx.com/uploader/files/52/Peavey Windsor SCHEMATIC.pdf

Looks like the sockets pictured are for V5 & V7
I'm guessing it was caused by tube failure. Hard to diagnose through internet though.

Also, this should be in EQUIPMENT, but i don't have the POWER to move threads. AAAAAAAGGGGH

Hey thanks for the reply. It is V7 and V5. Do you have any tips on removing the tube socket, and as far as the carbon should I just remove this with an x-acto knife?

Hey thanks for the reply. It is V7 and V5. Do you have any tips on removing the tube socket, and as far as the carbon should I just remove this with an x-acto knife?

i would cut the tube sockets out via the legs, then desolder the legs individually. for the carbon, you should be able to scrub with a toothbrush and rubbing alcohol or contact cleaner. the board will probably still be scorched but as long as you get that residue off it shouldn't conduct electricity.

typically if an amp has a failure like this, i will go through and check components near the failure just to make sure nothing else is bad.

It looks like an improper load or no load on the OT would cause that.

Yeah, except... V5 and V7 are both the same half of the OT aren't they? If the problem was on the OT secondary wouldn't all the power valves burn?

Maybe it's the connection to the OT primary that's buggered?

Thanks for the replies guys, I have removed V5 and V7 and cleaned up the board, I am going to continue to replace everything around these sockets as well. I noticed while cleaning the board that about two traces have lifted when I tried out the amp last time:( so now I have that to deal with. I talked to the local tech in my town today, he advise that I start with replacing the tubes and sockets. Any advise on what to do about the traces

IMG_2203.jpg

IMG_2196.jpg

IMG_2191.jpg

IMG_2190.jpg

IMG_2188.jpg