to slate or not to slate (vcc/vtm)

EOC

Feb 28, 2011
Hi, my most excellent mixing dudes!

i read a couple of vcc/vtm related posts since im trying to make up my mind about buying vcc and vtm.

This is my situation:
I live in south america, an due to exchage rates, 100us is A LOT of money for me, that is why i have to be very carefull with my purchases.

I have a decent amount of hardware (1176 clone, la2a clone, pultec eq, neve eq, neve pre, kush electra, elysia xpressor an nvelope) wich i like, but i dont personally love the workflow....

I recentlly bought VBC since processing the 2bus with hardware is for me a pain in the butt. I really liked it so far, so yesterday i downloaded vcc and vtm demos. Played with them on drums and bass and i really liked what it was doing, even if i didnt gain staged correctly.

i want you to chime in becouse i have to make a quick choise since these plugs are on sale until the end of may (two more days) and if they return to the original price it will be pretty difficult for me to buy them.

So, the real question is, how do you feel about this plugs after working with them for a couple of years?

I ask this becouse i see a lot of post saying "yeah, after a while i realised that they where doing more harm than good", so, having a limited budget, having outboard, what would you do? would you pull the trigger while they are on sale?

Thanks!

I use VCC daily. It's still totally rad for me.

I'm still waiting to see if there's going to be any combo deals for vtm/vbc and vmr (whenever that will be out).
If not I'm gonna jump on one of the deals like this may.

Not sure if I'd use vtm as much as vcc, but it also seems to be a very handy tool.
I wouldn't use it to recreate an analog path in the daw for most metal stuff, but you can still shape the tone really nicely with those things!

From Steven Slate's twitter account:

"Steven Slate ‏@Slateproaudio May 22
VCC 2.0 will be FREE. It has a 6th console, improved GUI, new drive, & oversampling will be optimized. It's gonna be awesome."

I'd wait :)

VCC 2.0 will be FREE. It has a 6th console, improved GUI, new drive, & oversampling will be optimized. It's gonna be awesome."

i assume that the UPDATE is gonna be free, so i should buy now vcc 1 and get a free upgrade for vcc 2.0

EDIT: Yeah, just checked, it is the update wich is free

i assume that the UPDATE is gonna be free, so i should buy now vcc 1 and get a free upgrade for vcc 2.0

EDIT: Yeah, just checked, it is the update wich is free

Ohhhh. Sorry, didn't realize that.

In that case, I would definitely recommend it. I spend a lot of time playing with plug-ins, and VCC is one that I always put on everything, basically. It's definitely worth $100 as far as I'm concerned. You can get a good mix without it, but you'll be able to tell that it sounds a little too "digital" or "cold." The VCC adds the perfect amount of warmth back in, and the ability to control the threshold and amount means you only get as much as you want.

Vcc is pretty great, i use it often and have had it quite a while now. Vtm is also indispensable for me, what it does for cymbals and on the 2 buss is an amazing improvement over without. I havent tried the uad stuff but i would absolutely recommend both.

Yes, get VCC and VTM - my mixes finally had a solid low end and it feels easier to EQ things into the mix and get to the final sound with less effort.

Also recommend VBC Red on the master buss to mix into (VCC Mix Buss --> VBC Red --> VTM) and finish it off.

Slate = Awesome!

I have a decent amount of hardware (1176 clone, la2a clone, pultec eq, neve eq, neve pre, kush electra, elysia xpressor an nvelope) wich i like, but i dont personally love the workflow....

The Slate VMR is just about to be released in a few weeks. Slate is very confident that the emulations will sound exactly like the hardware even when the modules are being used to distort and will publish A/B comparisons at the release.

People on Gearslutz have been asking for some kind of bundle promotion or discount to get into all Slate plugins at once. Not sure if it will happen but I have seen Slate offering various discounts since January.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Slate VMR is just about to be released in a few weeks. Slate is very confident that the emulations will sound exactly like the hardware even when the modules are being used to distort and will publish A/B comparisons at the release.

People on Gearslutz have been asking for some kind of bundle promotion or discount to get into all Slate plugins at once. Not sure if it will happen but I have seen Slate offering various discounts since January.

Im gonna buy VMR for sure, i was going to buy de SSL 500 eq when slate announced it. I like my outboard, but i´ll like to speed up my workflow.

About the discounts, right now VTM and VCC are 99 each. When there was a bundle i think with vbc it was 349 for the 3 plugs, and since the intro price for vmr is 349 i think it is gonna make no difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree about the workflow, I always loved analog gear and desks but I prefer the ITB workflow. Intro price for the VMR will be 150$ for the first two weeks if I recall correctly which is totally insane.

I would try to avoid VTM unless you're just using it on your master track. Slate's documentation suggests that you place VTM on every instrument track (not busses) followed up by vcc track then your master bus, but even in Pro Tools 11, the cpu will max out and breaks in audio will occur when dealing with say 15+ instances of VTM. I personally like Wave's Kramer Tape. Kramer is a lot less taxing on cpu, but $100 more I think.

I would try to avoid VTM unless you're just using it on your master track. Slate's documentation suggests that you place VTM on every instrument track (not busses) followed up by vcc track then your master bus, but even in Pro Tools 11, the cpu will max out and breaks in audio will occur when dealing with say 15+ instances of VTM. I personally like Wave's Kramer Tape. Kramer is a lot less taxing on cpu, but $100 more I think.

Yeah, im using VTM demo just on master and sometimes drum bus. I like what it is doing. Maybe i crank it up for an effect for distorted bass track

I do like the synergy on bass tracks. It mixes well with either Wave's RBass or MaxBas to give it all of fullness before you do subtractive eq to fit it into the mix.

100 bucks is a lot of money here in venezuela, but totally worth it, to me they are a must have

100 bucks is a lot of money here in venezuela, but totally worth it, to me they are a must have

En argentina también es un monton de plata!!! pero bueno, estuve jugando con los demos y están buenísimos, así que recién los compré