Toby and Mia in Montreal

mindspell

vvv Jake's ass vvv
Jul 6, 2002
Montreal
www.mindspell.org
Photographic evidence coming up.

The two of them arrived in Montreal in the early evening of Saturday but I was at a friends place having dinner (hot pot!) so I left his place aroun 8h30 to meet them downtown as they were catching up on emails and miscellaneous internet musings.

Soon after arriving we left to have a drink at a bar next door they spotted as being visually interesting: The Go-Go Lounge. No question that the place is interesting visually stunning with bright red chairs, hand-shaped chairs, wall lighting, kitsch artwork etc, but honestly, not my favorite place. Fortunatly, we were there early enough to not have to deal with the usual people that go there. We left after a pint to go to a place Toby seemed excited about going: Casa del Popolo.

If you read my Montreal article you would know that the place is owned by Mauro and his wife, of the Godspeed You Black Emperor fame. The place is a Vegetarian food/coffee shop/bar/venue and that night, Tam and the Vampire and Crackpot was playing. So we hung out for a bit, chugged a couple of pints, Toby especially enjoying the St-Ambroise Abricot, to the point of insisting in buying a six-pack to bring home. Tam and the Vampire sucked so bad that we decided to leave before the end of their set and came back to my place.

My apartment is really small so it was cozy to say the least. We hung out for a while, Toby even fiddling around with my bass before everybody went to sleep.
img00001.jpg

On sunday, I made them eat infamous Montreal bagels and then we left for the old Montreal to walk around. We ate some maple taffee on snow, something like that:
img00018.jpg

It was very cold out so soon after we went to La Banquise at the request of Mia who especially wanted to eat Poutine. La Banquise has like 50 types of poutine. I got the Kamikaze (merguez, hot peppers, tabasco) and Mia went for the Elvis (ground beef, mushrooms, bell peppers) while Toby Chickened out and got an omelette.
img00021.jpg

We then walked a bit on St-Denis (hip part of town), they got some ice apple cider (same procedure as icewine but with apples) and some rasberry-blueberry liqueur. Then went back to the apartment to chill a bit before the show.

We then proceeded to the Divan Orange, its a cooperative restaurant/bar/venue that is actually great space. They got some dinner, I am not sure what they got, I can't remember, and I got some asparagus-parsle soup.
img00024.jpg

The opening band was Dead Bush and they decided to pull all the stops for this gig. They are a improvisation trio that plays somewhat of a very musical noise/drone and they showed up with three guests (one of their members is away) so they added more noise, a guitar and a sax to the madness. They killed, as per usual, but were really short (15-20 minutes at the most).
img00058.jpg

Then Toby and Mia took the stage and were totally awesome. The piece they played was an exercise in restraint and beauty, sadness and hope. Great playing and it impressed a few people. Many of the people that came to see Dead Bush passed some very complimentary things. The guys from Dead Bush were impressed as well. Hopefully a few new fans were done.
img00062.jpg

Not the biggest crowd ever but 28 paying was pretty good, especially since I had fears of like 5 peoples showing up because it was a Sunday.

They were supposed to go to Mont Royal this morning but I left them sleeping this morning.

Hopefully the drive back went well.

here are our pictures! there's not too many of them since i always forget to take touristy pictures, but yeah!

we stayed at caleb's house in some tiny suburb of a suburb of toronto. he lived on this amazingly creepy latvian christian camp ground, which included:

a) giant hamster wheel on which i couldn't keep my balance save my life.

giantgerbilwheel.jpg

(neither could toby!)

tobywheel.jpg

crash!

tobywheelcrash.jpg

some sort of creepy belltower platform thing that looked suspiciously like it was from the movie, "the village"....

thevillage.jpg

cthuluic mystery altar with a wiggling stone TENTACLE on top!(?!)

tentaclealtar.jpg

inexplicable peeing stance on the steps

ominousteps.jpg

the tracks of an unknown (obviously gigantic - look at the size of them next to my foot!!) BIRD. the tracks were ALL OVER this one path of the campsite. it made me hungry. :(

mysterybirdfoot.jpg

caleb and his girlfriend shannon told us that a satanic baby-killing/autistic man-killing CULT lived across this river! several inexplicable deaths over the years and they were very, very good at hiding. there was a baby grave somewhere too that toby and i wanted to dig up, but they weren't sure of the exact location. it probably would've been too cold to dig anyway and we didn't have any shovels but you can definitely tell from the picture of the river that a satanic cult lives across it. apparently lots of salmon swim up it upstream every year. that means that they probably feed on autistic people and underwater dead babies each year too! and then caleb said he's eaten the salmon there, which essentially means he eats dead people. i thought you should know that about him. anyway, river!

scarycultriver.jpg

ottawa at night was seriously gorgeous!!

ottawa.jpg

...and achingly, creakingly, shiveringly COLD. you wouldn't believe how cold it actually was! here i am shivering/dying in front of the parliament building. (but then again, okay, i wasn't exactly dressed for the weather that day either, in my thin mini-dress.) luckily, we hung out with xavier that night, inside the cozy, warm russian bar.

ottawaiscold.jpg

... then the next day simon took us to old montreal, which looked a lot like the beautiful north end of boston

oldmontreal2.jpg

simon was nice enough to take us to an excellent poutine place. as he mentioned, he got the kamikaze and i got the elvis! (for those of you who don't know, poutine is french fries smothered in beef gravy, amazingly rubbery and delicious cheese curds (they sort of look like delightful, mummified gerbil babies), and anything else you want. YUM! (but toby didn't like it and definitely Chickened out. omelette - pffft.)

poutine.jpg

picture with my livejournal friend michelle at the venue, le divan orange. she was really, really nice. i was *very* drunk on cidre in this picture, in case you can't already tell from the the penguin-expression on my face:

miamichelle.jpg

then right before the border the next day.... LAKE CHAMPLAIN, home of the famous lake monster, Champ!! There were tiny houses all over the lake for ice fishing. I asked toby if they were communal fishing houses that anyone could use and he said, "no, you probably have to bring your own house"... haha!!! bring-your-own-house lake. :)

lakechamplain.jpg

of course, we looked for dark shapes (aka, CHAMP!) under the ice:

icedmmia.jpg

my mother says i look like a penguin here. she's absolutely right, of course. (annd of course, again, it was fucking FREEZING as fuck. everything in the car would freeze every night, including contact lens solution, face wash, our water bottles. actually, it was so cold that even by the time we got home after the 7 hour drive from montreal to quebec in a heated car, the water bottles were STILL frozen!)

penguingirl.jpg

........and that's it!

those are some great pictures.

somebody should try and record the symphony live..

since it wouldn't overload a camera's mic like a Kayo Dot show that would be very appericated.

Awesome looks like it was a blast!!

Can't wait to see Toby's solo project live and of course KD live is always a fun time.