Tom Waits...?

Blitzkrieg

Master Exploder
Now don't shoot me down in flames, I just want to hear what some of you have to say about this. :)

What is the fascination with Tom Waits? The only stuff I have heard of his features his dry voice moaning, groaning, whispering, or wailing over some slow music, which leaves me wondering, have I only heard a bad sample of his stuff, or am I just not getting it, because alot of people seem to love his work. I am not bagging the guy, I just want to know what people enjoy about his music. :)

Phloggy? Koich? Anyone?

Tom's cool, because he does what he wants. He is not commercial by any means. The dry voice moaning or screaming is a bit of a trademark, mainly because he talks like that well, but every album he's done is is completely different from anything else he's done.

He's not for everyone, although he should be. He's a poet with songs, and is believeable in anything that he sings, even if it's note even remotely related to him. As an example, listen to "Martha" and tell me it was written by a 23 year old. Or "Christmas Card From A Hooker In Minneapolis".

The man is a freakin' genius. If I could be any musician in the world ever, I'd be Beethoven, except for the whole deafness and tortured life bit. But Tom Waits would be a very close second.

What have you heard, Blitz?

I'n not quite sure what I have heard, but more than a few songs. A few from his latest album, which were played on the radio quite a bit when it was released, and some stuff from 'Mule Variations', as I know someone who has it. Other than that, just bits and pieces I guess.

Here's the confusing thing...He's got two latest albums. He released "Blood Money" and "Alice" on the same day. Blood Money is the better album, but Alice has some better songs. Neither is great introduction though.

Mule Variations is pretty good though. If you don't like _any_ of that, then he's probably not for you.

I bought three CDs on Phloggy's recommendations (Blood Money, Heartattack and Vine, Bone Machine) and couldn't really get into any of them. OK stuff, but not my cup of tea.

some people like eclectic shit, some people don't. I'm a big Mike Patton fan aswell, i like stuff that's interesting to listen to, not nevermore.

I disagree Phloggy, Blood Money is easy to get into, i used that cd alone to get all my mates into Tom Waits.

Spiff said:
I bought three CDs on Phloggy's recommendations (Blood Money, Heartattack and Vine, Bone Machine) and couldn't really get into any of them. OK stuff, but not my cup of tea.

You bought 3 CDs on recommendations, and then decided you didn't like it?!

:)

What are you getting at, Winnie? He recommended a CD, I bought it and didn't like it much. Then he recommended another, and I liked it a bit more but not a great deal, then he recommended ANOTHER one which I don't care for much.

I'm nothing if not perservering. :)

Buy the entire back catalogue, that way you will know for sure whether Tom is a yay or nay :)

From what I've heard, Tom Waits is a genius

"Lullaby" is one of the saddest most emotional songs I've ever heard... and "Gods Away on Business" is one of the most unique songs I've ever heard.

That's the thing about him... he does what he wants. No boundaries.