Tone test - Dual Rectifier - SM57/AT4050

Mesa4x12er

Jan 5, 2008
Looking for some criticism on this tone. I know the mix is not great and the drums are a little off in spots. I keyboarded it against the real song with no click so I don't have the luxury of quantizing. Recorded and mixed in about an hour so I get get some opinions on the tone. So yeah yay or nay on the tone?

[

If you listen just tell me what you did or didn't like. No 200 views and 1 reply. :lol:

UPDATED CLIP: Read these comments right before work and quick bounced another version. Dropped the bass a tad and changed the bus compression. I've only given it a good listen on little computer speakers so it may be just as bad but I dont think so. :lol:

Yes, i can tell you what i like.

I liked the guitar tone, massive full sound. Enjoyed it alot actually :)

I say yay. Why? Because like complex said, the tone is full and massive. Did you put any bass in there? If you did, it stuck to the guitar quite nicely as well!:headbang:

I say yay. Why? Because like complex said, the tone is full and massive. Did you put any bass in there? If you did, it stuck to the guitar quite nicely as well!:headbang:

the bass is pretty noticibal (how do u spell that lol)
it should be lower in the mix but sounds like it could support the guitar tone which is good

hey man,nice tone..can you share screenshot about the position of microphones on the cab and about post processing of the sound please?

Yes, i can tell you what i like.

I liked the guitar tone, massive full sound. Enjoyed it alot actually :)

Thanks a lot man, I appreciate it. :)

LosingReality said:
Really like the tone man....mix feels like it cant breath though....if that makes sence.

That's because it can't breathe. :oops: I was in a hurry and knew I smashed the shit out of it. I'm really bad about that. Thanks for the reply.

Rick May said:
I say yay. Why? Because like complex said, the tone is full and massive. Did you put any bass in there? If you did, it stuck to the guitar quite nicely as well!

Yeah there's a bass in there. Thanks man.

Pot said:
the bass is pretty noticibal (how do u spell that lol)
it should be lower in the mix but sounds like it could support the guitar tone which is good

Noticeable. ;) Thanks for the tip man.

GuitarGodgt said:
Agree with Pot.

It's good tone though.

I agree. Thanks for the reply.

PostMortem1666 said:
Very nice tone!! Love this band as well.
:kickass:

2000ContourSVT said:
Great tone, but the mix is pumping a little. Might want to back off the compressor a bit.
Yeah I'm bad about overdoing it. Right before I ran to work today I opened up my mix and changed the compressor settings. Didn't have much chance to hear it except on little computer speakers so hopefully it's better. Can't tell though.

Thanks for the heads up.

zakky said:
nice full tone!

Thanks dude.

mattia.7 said:
hey man,nice tone..can you share screenshot about the position of microphones on the cab and about post processing of the sound please?

You mean a picture of the cab with the mics? You lost me with the screenshot of the mic positions. :lol:

Both mics are about 2 inches off the cab and near the edge of the dustcap. Both of these mics catch treble like crazy so I didn't want to go any further towards center. As far as processing, on the guitars I just did a HP/LP. Didn't change anything else. Just EQd with the dif mic tracks by adding more 4050 or SM57 depending on what frequencies I was needing. Thanks.

CarlBlomqvist said:
I think it sounds great.
The mix need some working though. Pumping..

:cry: I'm pretty crappy with the buss compression. :lol: I just want the glue but I end up overdoing it. Let me know if the updated clip is any better. I checked all these messages right before I had to run to work so I opened my project, adjust the compression and bounced it. Only good listen has been over my work computer speakers haha. Anyway thanks for the reply.

if anything it sounds even more smushed to me
great tone and nice writing too

if anything it sounds even more smushed to me
great tone and nice writing too

Really? :erk: I can handle smushed, but I don't like pumping. Is it pumping more? On these little speakers I really can't tell.

BTW I didn't write that. It's by a band called 10 Years. I never post my original stuff. I've heard my music on other people's pages with their name on it in the past. Now I stick to bastardizing other band's music when I'm gonna post. :lol: When my stuff is done, pressed and copyrighted I'll put it on the net. :)

The tone is powerful and good, there's no doubt about it.

It's over-compressed, everyone has said it. You're probably pushing the guitar buss and bass bass too much, leaving little room for the drum transients and you're smushing the thing. It sounds cohesive, but unclear.