Tone test - short Gearbox/SoloC blend clip

Nukular!

Feb 12, 2009
Germany
Hi!

So here is my first attempt at finding a somehow 'good' guitar tone for a demo I plan to make some day. I really need all help I can get to improve the tone...
I have no experience in recording and my equipment (except the guitar) is... hmmm, crappy.:erk:

rg2027x with evo7 --> Toneport GX --> DAW

There are two tracks per side (100/80%), mainly SoloC with impulse and a little bit of the gearbox "5150" sim blended in. Hi/lo pass at 80/12000 Hz and no further eq. Oh, and my strings are nearly dead... I'll change that as soon I have the time.
Here it is:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=940560&songID=7486515
Some random riff just for the tone.

I'd be glad if you guys give me some feedback. Thank you!:kickass:

@utarefson
Thanks! Yeah, I'm not the greatest fan of the gearbox tones but I personally like the combination with SoloC. I appreciate your feedback - here is a new version with slightly reduced gain.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=940560&songID=7488118
Better?

@Felix Neumann
Thank you too! I was sooo unsure about this tone. So this brings a lot of self-confidence. :headbang:

I'm sure there is a lot to improve. What else can I do? Tomorrow I will try something with eq - any suggestions?

Feedback highly welcome!!

Well thanks again guys. This helps a lot!
Later I'll post an update with some EQ (just to give it a shot... did find some suggestions in other threads).

Felix Neumann said:
Now dude..tell me, what is it in your avatar? It´s mysterious :)
Hahaha my avatar... ok, this is one of these "unexplainable" pics. It shows these guys in full radiation protection/biohazard protective overalls making some measurements, while this funny looking guy in shorts and t-shirt(!) just stands between them. So nothing too mysterious - just the first pic I found while registering. :loco:

Well thanks again guys. This helps a lot!
Later I'll post an update with some EQ (just to give it a shot... did find some suggestions in other threads).

Hahaha my avatar... ok, this is one of these "unexplainable" pics. It shows these guys in full radiation protection/biohazard protective overalls making some measurements, while this funny looking guy in shorts and t-shirt(!) just stands between them. So nothing too mysterious - just the first pic I found while registering. :loco:

Hahahaha I would keep it, this is a really funny avatar :lol: Liked it, man!!

Felix Neumann said:
Hahahaha I would keep it, this is a really funny avatar :lol: Liked it, man!!
:kickass:

jauernis said:
That sounds fucking heavy!! Awesome tone!!
Thanks man! You just made my day!!!

Just one more update with some EQ'ing ( slight cuts at 0.4, 1, 2.2kHz and a little boost around 4kHz).
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=940560&songID=7492105
I don't know if it's necessary (the EQ), but in case this is an improvement, I'll leave it this way an stop bugging you with this thread :D

Be warned, next time I'll come with questions about my bass tone...

Cool, thank you mate!

I'm a bit busy atm, work is eating up my time :puke: So I have to take it easy and use my time to sort out the individual raw tones first. Nevertheless I try to get something together this week. Just got my Slate pack... can't wait to try it!!!!