Melodic metal:ish song with lots of harmonies (soloC,superior+samples,VBA)

exzem

May 4, 2009
Sweden
Hi,

this is a new melodic metal song I finished today. I experimented with different harmonies this time.

Drums are superior with replaced kick and partly replaced snare. Every guitar is soloC, the bass track is soloC+studio devil virtual bass amp.

Let me know what you think of the song and/or the mix. Nitpicking is welcome :lol:

Updated links:

Streaming: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=960121&songID=7872486

Download: http://files.getdropbox.com/u/1063820/dragomony_final.mp3

Hey man!

Really nice song, i dig it. The bass is too much, lover it a bit. Otherwise it sounds really good.
What kind of impulses did you use? Can you share your superior preset? It would be great!(i really like the amb and overhead)
I never get so good guitar tone as yours , maybe because my guitar sux:)

Thanks!

yeah your right the bass was too loud, I made a new version with a lower bass (updated first post), not sure if it's much better, I hate low end :(

I used the s-pres 8 impulse from catharis. I posted a superior preset in an old song I made, sent from superior to different channels, then just add reverb to taste on each channel.

Great fucking song men, really liked. And the mix is very good too. The snare could have some more body, but it´s not a problem.

Are you using a multiband compressor on the guitars? I'm hearing some extra bwoominess at a couple points in the song (like at 1:14 ish and some other parts, too).

Sounds awesome, though.

Hey, thanks for your reply!

The second version is better. Maybe you can try a low shelf on master around 80-85 Hz and -2-4 dB cut. it helps to reduce that boomyness of bass. And you can try boost a bit around 200 Hz to get back the lowend:)
Maybe it helps...

Nuno Filipe: Thank you! I did some eq to the snare in the new version.

ballstix: Thanks. I was actually both using a multiband comp on the low end + some slim eq to remove some off that boomyness. But your right it was a bit too much, decided to add another multiband compressor removing slightly more low end, just afraid to remove too much so they just sound flat.

feles: I removed some more 70-80 hz from the bass and added more 140-200 hz. I think compressing the guitars removed most of the boomyness.

I Updated both links with a new version of the song.

Hey, I am a newbie (maybe even more than a newbie if such cathegory existed :p) but I feel like sharing my opinion. First of all, I really like the song. It's pretty catchy and I like the melodies. About the sound, I like it a lot overall, maybe it sounds a bit too "bassy" on some parts and I think guitars could be a little cleaner, somehow.

Now the bass and guitars sounds together, nice mix.

And this song is very addictive:)) That lead melody is fuckin great.

Just made a final version, updated both links in first post. Just did some automation to the rhythm guitar, lowering them a bit when leads are playing.

Can't stand listening to the song anymore ;)

It's basically the same settings as my old song I posted here, here is a screen: http://files.getdropbox.com/u/1063820/gtrs_solution.JPG

Just a high shelf -2.0 db at 8000 hz and some multiband compression on the rhythm gtrs around 90-250 to remove the boomyness from the palm mutes, how much to compress depends on your playing style I guess.

Lead guitars are same settings just a bit different EQ. Cutting away between 1000-2000 hz, like 3-4 db, and a high pass at 160 hz. Oh and yeah, some reverb and delay too.