Tone test with my new strat! (who knew single coils could sound so thick?)

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Jan 31, 2010
Cambs, UK
www.numbskullaudio.com
I made this strat the other day out of bits and bobs I'd bought off eBay

20140130_003812.jpg

It's got a set of EMG SA's in it, and while they obviously do the whole super clean spanky strat thing incredibly well, I took it to band practice and cranked the sucker up. I was actually laughing out loud at how heavy this goddam guitar sounded, so I thought I'd throw a couple of riffs together to hear it in a mix

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4128689/Strat Project/Stratisfaction.mp3

Quad tracked, using modelling, but after this little experiment I've decided to use this guitar for all the 3rd and 4th guitar tracks on the band's EP, to accompany the main rhythms which will be done with my Charvel San Dimas. Beast!

That sounds ace man, single coils are really underused for the heavy stuff - they have this really distinct bite and upper mid character that you just don't get with humbuckers most of the time.

I'm in the market for a telecaster, I went to a store to try an american standard tele, I asked to try it with a 5150III me and the salesman fall of on the floor hehe. The noise was loud but not a deal breaker! Those pups on those guitars are just so great!!

Singles coils are absolutely underrated. I think this come from the old days when noise supressors , high gain heads and boost pedals were not really a common thing and the only way to push the old master volume amps like Marshalls was with humbuckers and that trend got stuck till now.
That "twang" sound and clarity that single provides is really helpful for heavy sounds.

ohh BTW , your clip sounds sweet man . Nice

Damn. Nice clips people. This is really making me want to re-think some of the other guitars I have. I'm vastly preferring guitars with old-school sentiments (but still with modern functionality/tone) to super modern, super sleek etc.

Just listened to your clip, sounds massive :)
I experimented with the coilsplit feature on my horizon yesterday, and I think I prefer it to standard humbucking mode:
https://copy.com/2aG8acSFH2db

(Yeah, I know I totally fucked up rose of sharyn..)

jep i meant the horizon..too bad i swapped the sh-4 against an emg81 and i don't have it anymore. i never tried it in split mode..

getting a custom telecaster in the next 2-3 months, getting a custom wound, splittable, single-coil sized humbucker,
gonna post some samples.
I once played a tele through a 5150 and it sounded pretty awesome, especially with lower gain for more slash type
riffs, but it worked pretty well for psyroptic style-riffing - I hated single coils and telecasters until that day :D

All clips sound very nice!

I might have to play around with my fathers strat a bit more it seems. Could be interesting.

I really don't get why coil-tap isn't a standard for every guitar with passive humbuckers...should be a no-brainer.
Although every time I switch to the single coil in my Epi (emg81-tw) in the bridge, at first I think "damn sound crunchy and cool", but it gets nasal and scratchy really quick for me.
Might have to rethink the tones from scratch if I want to noodle around with that.

When I'm using coilsplitting, I tend to really push the mids, to counteract the stuff you mentioned. Like 7 on a 6505.

Did you have do a lot of post processing on the guitars? EQ, compress etc?

Or is it sims right out of the box?

Thanks, sounds great!

Would be someone with a splitable pu so kind and record a short humbucker vs singlecoil test with the same riff and without changing other settings?