too much middle on guitars?

aviel

Aug 2, 2011
did you ever find your self recording too much middle on the guitar tracks? it looks like you can never have too much middle. actually i always feel like i dont get enough middle sound from my recordings.i have spent days trying to solve with EQs tracks that didnt have enough middles, but never succeeded, it seems that the middle and and the treble coming out from the amp is something that cant be fixed later on?

If anyone here think he can fix muddy tracks with EQs (reducing lows, bostting midds and highs and still keeping it crunchy and fat) i am willing to do everything to learn his magic ways.

( i can post some example tracks)

There is certainly stuff you can do but if it doesn't sound pretty close to right in the first place you are just going to fight it the whole way. The "magic" is learning to identify the specific problem and then applying an appropriate fix. It takes a long time to learn.

ok check this one..
just something i made at the moment to try to show you the problem.

check this file

and check the refernce file at 1:05

dont you feel that the guitar mids are really screaming?
i can ssure you that my amps scremed like that in the room. i know i wont be able to get the exact same sound without having the same recording chain. (they use marshall, maybe they boosted it. i have an ENGL).

BUT - how would you suggest to give my guitar more presence in the mix but still giving it that AIR it has?
bossitng highs will just make it harshy

Last edited by a moderator:
did you ever find your self recording too much middle on the guitar tracks? it looks like you can never have too much middle. actually i always feel like i dont get enough middle sound from my recordings.i have spent days trying to solve with EQs tracks that didnt have enough middles, but never succeeded, it seems that the middle and and the treble coming out from the amp is something that cant be fixed later on?

If anyone here think he can fix muddy tracks with EQs (reducing lows, bostting midds and highs and still keeping it crunchy and fat) i am willing to do everything to learn his magic ways.

( i can post some example tracks)

I am no expert but you're better off recording more mids and/or highs than you may end up using - you can always dial them down later but adding them can add unwanted noise to your tracks.

Guitars in that short clip are just way too loud and too much gain, IMO.

i agree, but it feels like if i dial them backwards, i just loose them.
i think i overdid with the loudness maximizer also, but all that just helped me to bring the guitars to life...