Top 10 melodeath albums 1990-2010

But with AE this problem is more visible (audible). The whole new album is so predictable and recycled... I don't know how can people like it. Take the first single - song is absolutely terrible.

And yeah, We are the Void is quite bad, bud Fiction was excellent IMO.

Sacrilege - Lost In The Beauty You Slay

That is a cool album.

But with AE this problem is more visible (audible). The whole new album is so predictable and recycled... I don't know how can people like it. Take the first single - song is absolutely terrible.

And yeah, We are the Void is quite bad, bud Fiction was excellent IMO.

I liked Fiction too... but it wasn't all that different from Character. I honestly don't know where DT go from their current position. They tried the experimental route before, then abandoned it. They managed to peak twice, once with the Gallery and again with Damage Done... it's possible they can do it again, but they can't put out another album like We Are The Void.

Hmm, interesting lists, I'm going to check out some of the bands mentioned here.

Right now, I'd say my top 10 is:
1.In Flames - The Jester Race
2.In Flames - Whoracle
3.Edge of Sanity - Crimson
4.Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery
5.Eucharist - Mirrorworlds
6.Insomnium - Since the Day It All Came Down
7.Dark Tranquillity - The Mind's I
8.Omnium Gatherum - Spirits and August Light
9.In Flames - Colony
10.Soilwork - The Chainheart Machine

A honourable mention to DT's Damage Done.

Opeths music is something between 70's Prog Rock and Death Metal, nothing to do with melodeath.

Ceremonial Oath - Carpet
Ceremonial Oath - The Book of Truth

If you count them as melodeath, otherwise:

At The Gates - Slaughter of the Soul
In Flames - Lunar Strain
In Flames - The Jester Race
In Flames - Whoracle
In Flames - Colony
In Flames - Clayman
Dark Tranquility - Damage Done
Amon Amarth - With Oden On Our Side
Insomnium - Since The Day It All Came Down
Scar Symmetry - Pitch Black Progress

Can't be arsed to say which one is the best and so on... too much work and too hard.

Shout out to others : Blinded Colony, Sonic Syndicate - Eden Fire, Degradead - Till Death Do Us Apart

Interesting. I find that to be the worst Degradead album. Second and especially the new one are awesome though. One of my fav 2011 releases so far.

Only going to select 1 release per band or Amon Amarth would probably just fill up slots 2 to 9:

1. Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane
Not really melodic DM, but an undeniable influence on the genre and at least similar in atmosphere.

2. Amon Amarth - With Oden on our Side
I love ALL AA tracks, except their covers. Either they cover a song that was shitty to begin with (Aerials) or they don't really improve the original (Eyes of Horror).

3. Dark Tranquillity - The Mind's I
Really hard to choose between Haven, The Mind's I and Damage Done.
Surprised to see Character & Fiction show up so much; there are a few good tracks on each, but overall they're pretty mediocre, IMO.
We Are the Void was pretty terrible.

4. In Flames - The Jester Race
Once again, hard to choose between the Jester Race, Whoracle and Colony.

5. Kalmah - Swamplord
Kalmah should've shown up on ALL lists! FOR SHAME! FOR SHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEE!

6. Dismember - Massive Killing Capacity
This is what happens when a very solid DM band decides to go melodic for one release and although it's not their best, this is still a very good offering and an interesting take on melodic DM.
As a bonus this new-found interest in melody would later result in earth-shattering tracks like Where no Ghost is Holy, so what's not to like?

7.Skyfire - Timeless Departure
I just wish they'd toned down on the keyboards a bit.

8. Mors Principium Est - The Unborn

9. Arch Enemy - Stigmata

10. Amorphis - Elegy

On an unrelated note, I'm surprised to encounter such a big Nightrage fan. Only Nightrage CD I have is Descent into Chaos and I find it quite average. Not bad by any means, but profoundly average and generic.

1. Follow The Reaper - Children of Bodom (Best album ever, Alexi is a guitarist that surpasses the likes of Eddie Van Halen and Hendrix)
2. The Jester race - In Flames
3. Whoracle - In Flames
4. Hatebreeder - Children of Bodom
5. Hate Crew Deathroll - Children of Bodom
6. The Gallery - Dark Tranquility
7. Colony - In Flames
8. Clayman - In Flames
9. Something Wild - Children of Bodom
10. Slaughter of the Soul - At The Gates