Top 2 least favorite songs on The Formation of Damnation

Metallica and perfection on the same line is ridiculous... it really seems like the guys are living in their own world right now,I guess money can do that for you. you don't have to be a pro to tell the production on Death Magnetic blows. I'm not going to even touch that St.Anger album. totally ridiculous how they keep selling millions of cds these days. I guess it says a lot about the music listeners in general.

They just sound like a band going through the motions to me.Nothing sounds geniune.

I'll take a good 40 minute CD any day over 60 minutes of rehashed solos bad drums and bad vocals.
They only give fans stuff for the image that they are trying to get back.

Hetfield had a great voice and was a good lyricist but Kirk has always been just a decent player, Lars has always sucked and both of them have only gotten worse over the years.That's not what's supposed to happen.Musicians (in my opinion) are supposed to progress.Not get worse.Hetfield sings a lot like the bands they made fun of in the 80's.

But seriously I don't want to get into a Metallica fight.I've been done with them for over 20 years.More music for someone else if you like them.

I was a little drunk when I posted that but all I'm going to say is they aren't going to be around much longer so that should make the fucking haters happy. At least they play some good old tunes and are playing quite decent live now. I don't like what they did in the 90's but DM is acceptable compared to St Anger and a step up. The next album has got me curious I will listen to it before I but it though and if it sucks then I won't buy it like I didnt buy Load, Reload and St Anger. I just don't understand why a Testament fan doesn't like KIll em' all, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, and And Justice for all those are all cool records.

I understand where you're coming from.For the record I have nothing against the first four albums.I just find it very hard to listen and get into them after having lived through the last 23 years since "Justice".All I can think is "Fuck what happened" even though I know what happened, you know?
I think Cliff and to an extent Dave were the sole of that band.

It would be cool too hear the bass on "Justice" I know in the set up for interviews the interviewer always something like Flotsam And Jetsam is mostly known because Newstead joined Metallica.But for me I wouldn't even think Newstead was ever a good player if not for his work on "Doomsday For The Deceiver"That was some good bass Metallica really sucked the life out of him.

One thing I am curious about is that Kirk said they were writing new material for only two weeks and that it wasn't a full on Metallica project.
I wonder if it has something to do with the rest of the.... cough...big4.

That 2 week project has me wondering too, what the hell could it be ...a soundtrack? Could be something with the big 4 perhaps. I can tell you one thing, if the next Metallica album sucks any less than Death Magnetic I won't get it. I wonder too what the hell happened to the bass on AJFA..Metallica need to pay more close attention to the recording process.

Not that I was there but I think they were punishing Newstead for not being Cliff and that's what happened to the bass.

I think that's pretty much what they said about it. That and they were playing a "prank" on him. A prank that the rest of us had to pay the price for as well.

I still remember when Justice came out and buying a copy both on cassette and CD. This was back in the days of the long boxes. I also remember the sticker on the vinyl copy: "on two discs (because one would sound like shit)" Ahhh, the good old days.

Yeah that was fucking stupid of Metallica to cut the bass on an album that lasts forever, joke or no joke. They did use to be some drunken idiots, now though seems they have a tad more common sense but not much after that DM production.

Interesting how everybodys choice of the thread topic is abit different for everyone that's posted so far.

Gotta go with Dangers Of The Faithless and Leave Me Forever as my least favorites. They're not terrible, just don't stand up to the rest of the album.
Regarding Death Magnetic's production, have any of you checked out the Moderus 3 remix? It's amazing, actually improves the album a fair bit. Made from the GH stems of course.
Agree about Justice as well. James said it wasn't really hazing as people think, they just turned it down because it was interfering with the guitar tone he wanted. But yeah, imagine it sounding like this:
:OMG:

Last edited by a moderator:
^God damn that is hell of alot better with bass.
It's not just the bass. He changed the whole mix. Got rid of the guitars' bottom end, so they wouldn't be fighting with the bass, and he made the drums sound far more colorful and alive.
They oughtta get him to remix the album o_O
(Sorry for hijacking the thread haha)