Top 5 PPUSA XX sets?

Fixxer315

May 4, 2012
I attended the Wednesday, Friday and Saturday shows, so here are my favorite sets from this year's PPUSA.

1. Poets of the Fall: As I mentioned before, I didn't know anything by them coming in, but their set was transcendental, and I was able to find all of their albums (except their newest) on Amazon Prime. I'll definitely be listening to them for the next few weeks (if not months)

2. Demons and Wizards: They were whom I primarily came to see, and they did not disappoint. Although I was underwhelmed by some of the early songs, they really kicked it into higher gear with the first Iced Earth & Blind Guardian songs. ANd of course, the crowd refusing to stop the Valhalla chorus was magical.

3. Subsignal: Somewhat of a quirky choice for this festival, but a good one.

4. Threshold: Another amazing set from them with my only disappointment being lack of Mission Profile

5. Seventh Wonder: I was not enamored of their appearance 5 years ago when they did Mercy Falls in its entirety, but they made up for it here, with a fun high energy show.

Honorable mentions go to Caligula's Horse, Orden Ogan, Theocracy and Sanctuary whom all gave very good sets.

I was at all 4 days. This is really hard to pick just 5 out of the 20 performances because I could just as easily picked 5 different artists and been happy with them. There were no clunkers at all, just a matter of what you like; this year had pretty much something for everyone. However, these are the ones that stick out to me that really made me think down the road when I'll be saying "remember back at PPUSA XX when so-and-so just killed it and blew away the place?"...

1. Poets of the Fall - might be a fanboy pick, but don't care. They brought a fantastic mix of up-tempo (for them) and slower songs that make them a fantastic band. There had been much discussion over whether or not they belonged on the bill, but I certainly was right up front cheering them on trying to convert the folded-arm judges. Outstanding performance!
  2. Caligula’s Horse - I thought I would like them, but I just had not found the time to prepare. They completely blew me out with their dynamics, power, variety, musicianship, and angelic vocals on top of everything. Super amazing set, instant fan and can't wait for them to come back and tour USA proper. Holy Shit indeed!
  3. Galneryus - I got caught up in the crowd enthusiasm for sure on this one. Couldn't understand anything they were saying except "next song...", but it didn't matter. The intensity of the band along with the reception they received was impossible to ignore. Standing ovation from the crowd overall, and I was right there with them. Welcome to the USA!
  4. Paladin - One of the replacements were these local ATL dudes, and they just tore it up in the opening slot on Friday. I'm sure the youthful excitement was evident in playing the big fest they've always dreamed about, and along with the video cameras filming everything for an upcoming promo video. These guys brought it all and a Lost Horizon cover to boot. Outstanding set. Bought their shirt and CD, can't wait for the tour in November.
  5. Sanctuary - I was not a fan when they played a few years ago with Warrel, he just turned me off with his lack of serious stage presence. I fully anticipated I would watch 3 songs and head out for a break. But, man oh man....this was intensity defined. New vocalist Joseph Michael fricking owned it and had my attention from the get-go. The band was firing on all cylinders and stole day 1 for me as I thought going in it would be all about Theocracy, who also did well.

Honorable mentions: Theocracy, Evergrey, Seventh Wonder, Orden Ogan, Demons & Wizards, Sorcerer.

5) - Sanctuary - Joseph is a really good singer. Cool classic metal at it's finest.
4) - Galneryus - What a guitarist and drummer !! High energy and professional.
3) - Mayan - I was unsure what to expect, but they were really good. 10 musicians interacting with each other. It was rock operish at times, but in a good way.
2) - Sorcerer - The song "Crowning of the Fire King" was epic. So many bands pipe in backing vocals and frankly, I can tell 98% of the time when it is done. "Real" backing vocals really makes a band so much larger than life. Really good band !! Brought their sponsors up on stage etc. Classy band with a great sound.
1) - Paladin - The local band that came in and just kicked ass !! This band is no "feel good story" by any means. They check all of the boxes........ Soaring vocals, harmony vocals, growling vocals, harmony guitar leads, thrash riffs, powermetal riffs, astonishing melodic guitar solos. Their talent level is elite. Once they figure out how to blend all of those styles they have together a little more cohesively in their songwriting, the sky is the limit.

Honorable mentions - 7th Wonder's singer was really nailing it. Subsignal was really good. As mellow as they are, I didn't think it would go over well live. They beefed up their songs a little and it was good.

1. Caligula's Horse
2. Demons & Wizards
3. Threshold
4. Subsignal
5. Seventh Wonder

I was there on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. There were so many good bands & so it is very difficult for me to identify the five best.

1. Demons & Wizards
2. Galneryus
3. Barren Earth
4. Sorcerer
5. Evergrey

Orden Ogan's Gunmen was one of my top 5 albums for the year last year. So... I might have put Orden Ogan in the top 5 list, however I saw them in 2014 at PPUSA XV so they got bumped by no fault of their own. If it was a top 6 list then they would be in it.

So many great sets this year! I watched all 20 all the way. Tough to make my list, as the quality from 6-15 was also excellent. And I enjoyed 16 to 20 as well. I'll cheat and list 3 runner's up.

1. Seventh Wonder

2. Demons & Wizards

3. While Heaven Wept

4. Galneryus

5. MaYaN

Runners Up:
6. Evergrey
7. Sorcerer
8. Sanctuary

my top 5

1 - demons & wizards
2 - poets of the fall