Top Cd's of 2014 revisited & updated

TwizstedJesus

Mar 1, 2004
Well, after having a few months to fully digest the top cd lists of 2014 and take some time to revisit, a lot of things changed on my list. The top 2 are still the top 2, nothing came close to knocking them out of their slots on my list, but a few of the late 2014 releases charged way up the list with repeated listens. As with everything, time changes rankings and mood plays a large part, but for repeated plays and sheer enjoyment of the music, here goes...

1. Evergrey-Hymns For The Broken- This cd has not left my player since the day it came out. The acoustic disc gets heavy play also, but from start to finish, HFTB is equal to In Search Of Truth as far as Evergrey goes.

2. Need- Orvam; A Song For Home- This sits right behind Evergrey in my 300 disc changer and I have no desire to move it out. Another disc that gets almost daily play for me, and Glenn's greatest replacement band EVER!

3. Harmony-Theater of Redemption- I didn't know what to expect with Daniel Heiman, but damn! He raises the bar here, and Harmony needs to find a way to keep him around for the next one! Incredible!

4. Iris Divine-Karma Sown- I can find nothing wrong with this disc...period!

5. Sanctuary- The Year The Sun Died- Nevermore 2.0 still isn't a bad thing!

6. Cage The Gods- Badlands-This got a ton of repeated plays in the early part of 2014. Very reminiscent of the early 90's melodic rock stuff done in top form. The vocals sold it on me.

7. Black Fate- Between Visions and Lies-Roy Khan, where are you? On second thought, who needs him? Very similar to Kamelot/Conception, but this fanboy stuff works because they are dead on!

8. Split Bearing- Welcome To The Present- Over the top Dream Theater stuff which falls in line with so many that copied this style in the past. They do it well, and there's a chance that they will become something special ala Circus Maximus

9. Haken- Restoration- Supposedly only an EP but its running length is that of a full length cd from the 80's. Very impressive cd to hold us over until the next one.

10. Withem- The Point of You- Another fine coup by Glenn. Withem was amazing live and the vocalist was dead on! Great debut by another band who could grab the torch with their next cd!

2014 was a great year for progressive music and ProgPowerUSA delivered another great year for live music. Here's hoping that 2015 can be as good!

I like that Harmony album a lot. Daniel Heiman has such a good voice for metal.
That Cage the Gods album is good too. Those songs would work well on the soundtracks for shows like Sons of Anarchy or Justified.