Top 15 Of The Decade (2000-2009)

Dec 16, 2002
www.facebook.com
A couple years ago I did a 1997-2007 best of .. thought it was about time to update that.

So here ya go .. my top 15 of the decade, along with some thoughts. Feel free to add you own lists, rip this one .. whatever.

#1 Nevermore - Dreaming Neon Black (2000) - Nevermore's most progressive disc and as far as I am concerned it's their greatest achievement. Dark and diverse .. memorable song after song .. a classic.

#2 Symphony X - The Odyssey (2002) - Damn, how good is this band? This isn't even their best disc .. some would say it's not even their second or third best for that matter. It's my 2nd favroite from them behind The Divine Wings Of Tragedy. This disc captures their entire sound from older neo classical to newer power driven stuff. It also includes what is probably my favorite song of the decade .. the incredible title track.

#3 Kamelot - The Fourth Legacy (2000) - It's still my favorite Kamelot disc, and I think it's their most diverse work. This disc just takes you on a wild journey ... from the coast line of Ireland to the Arabian sands, to King Arthur's court and then on to the Inquisition. It's also got a fantastic final track in .. Lunar Sanctum which is
my favorite Kamelot tune.

#4 Vanden Plas - Christ 0 (2006) - Excellent story and execution by one of the best prog bands on the planet. I think this one is their pinnacle and itcaptures a cohesive band that is firing on all cylinders. Top notch production from beginning to end.

#5 Deadsoul Tribe - A Murder Of Crows (2003) - This is the top effort from Deadsoul Tribe .. who were one of the more prolific bands of the decade with five releases. Their stuff ranges from solid to excellent ... this one is at the top. Tool meets Tull, perhaps? Whatever it is there are a lot of great tunes on this disc .. Feed pt 1 & 2, In A Garden Made Of Stones, Angels In Vertigo, Flies .. I could keep going. Great stuff from Devon Graves and crew.

#6 Ark - Burn The Sun (2001) - In my opinion this is Jorn's finest moment. He really shows off more diversity here than can be found on any other project he's worked on. The band around him is top notch, and the songs are well written, catchy, and memorable. There's a lot of diversity in this disc and that helps keep it fresh still to this
day.

#7 King Diamond - The Puppet Master (2003) - The King kind of reinvented himself here to excellent results. He toned back on the highest of falsettos and added a female singer to the mix. He crafted one of his better storylines and then put some great atmosphere around it. The guitar work of Andy LaRocque is excellent. This is just a well done disc in all phases .. KD's best since the glory years.

#8 Jag Panzer - Thane To The Throne (2000) - Jag Panzer has several top discs, but for me this is #1. It's the most epic in scale .. taking on Shakepeare's Macbeth with winning results.

#9 Wolverine - Still (2006) - My favroite from Wolverine. No more growls to be found, but it's not missed here. Wolverine hit with a collection of songs I though could propel them to new heights .. not to be as momentum was lost due to some family related issues that arose. Hopefully they can get back on track with their next effort ..
whenever that may be.

#10 Evergrey - In Search Of Truth (2001) - Evergrey's best in my opinion. This is the one I grab for when I want to listen to Evergrey. Several of my favorite reside on this one.

#11 Pagan's Mind - Celestial Entrance (2002) - Wow, when this came out it was like Queensryche meets Dream Theater or something. I think it is Pagan's Mind top disc and one that signalled that a new power prog force was here to be reckoned with.

#12 Amorphis - Eclipse (2006) - What a great return to form for Amorphis. Exit Pasi . enter Tomi .. the rest is history now as Amorphis has climbed to new heights in recent years. The latest three all rate real high with me, but I picked this one for the list because it is where the "new" Amorphis took shape.

#13 Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor (2005) - A strong return after what I thought was a disappointing effort on Enemies Of Reality. Killer opening and closing tracks, and top stuff in between. Good effort from Dane, and some really killer playing from Loomis. The ideas where flowing on this one .. wish I could say the same about the latest.

#14 Jag Panzer - Casting The Stones (2004) - excellent collection of songs from Jag Panzer. It's unfortunate that JP couldn't back this one up a little better as I think they had a great disc in which to start building some momentum going into the 2nd half of the decade.

#15 Mercenary - 11 Dreams (2004) - It was my #1 disc on 2004, but it's actually one that is dropping down my list a bit the past year or two. I rarely spin this one any longer, but at the time it was an influential disc for me and helped push me into listening to other genres of metal. I still think it's Mercenary's best effort by a good margin.

Britt

I had posted this late in 2009 on PMX:

My Top 40 of the Decade

My list is presented in ranked groups in descending order. I did not want to bother ranking 1 through 40.

Spiral Architect - A Sceptic's Universe (2000)

Arsis - A Celebration of Guilt (2004)
Arsis - We Are the Nightmare (2008)
Into Eternity - Buried in Oblivion (2004)
Martyr - Warp Zone (2000)
Necrophagist - Epitaph (2004)
The Unchallenged - Sceneries (2002)

Extol - Synergy (2003)
GracePoint - Science of Discontent (2000)
Power of Omens - Rooms of Anguish (2003)
Protest the Hero – Fortress (2008)
Protest the Hero - Kezia (2005)
Psycroptic - Scepter of the Ancients (2003)
Psycroptic - Symbols of Failure (2006)
Soilwork - A Predator's Portrait (2001)
Spawn of Possession - Cabinet (2003)

Alas - Absolute Purity (2001)
Aydra - Icon of Sin (2001)
Disturbed – Indestructible (2008)
Disturbed - Ten Thousand Fists (2005)
Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor (2005)
Onward - Evermoving (2001)
Redemption - The Fullness of Time (2005)
Scholomance - The Immortality Murder (2001)
Shinedown - The Sound of Madness (2008)
System of a Down - Mezmerize (2005)

Antithesis - Dying for Life (2001)
Archetype - Dawning (2002)
Artillery - When Death Comes (2009)
Decrepit Birth - Diminishing between Worlds (2008)
Mastodon - Crack the Skye (2009)
Misery Inc. - Random End (2006)
Odious Mortem - Cryptic Implosion (2007)
Terminal Function - Measuring the Abstract (2008)
Unexpect - In a Flesh Aquarium (2006)

All That Remains - This Darkened Heart (2004)
Dark Tranquillity - Character (2005)
Lamb of God - As the Palaces Burn (2003)
Redemption - The Origins of Ruin (2007)
Shadows Fall - The War Within (2004)

Nice post! Obviously, one could nitpick any of these selections, but there are several on here that I so love..... Vanden Plas, Symphony X, Ark (although I do prefer the s/t), and Dead Soul Tribe ("Crows" is my favorite also, although "January Tree" is right there also) all are great releases.

Your tastes seem to range closer to the "heavy" side of things (Nevermore, Jag Panzer) than mine, but.... To each their own!!! :cool:

NP - Tarot "Live at Earth" (not the Marco led Tarot..... Think these guys were from Texas or something.....)

Nice read. Thanks for posting. I find yearly lists daunting enough, let alone a decade list. Still, I think Ark and Kamelot's 'Fourth Legacy" would be on any list of mine. "11 Dreams" would likely make that as well. Most of the others, while maybe not in my top 15, are top quality albums.

Outside of "Thane", I never found Jag Panzer enthralling. I don't mind 'em, but I think Thane was something special by them. Also, I didn't realize you were a King Diamond fan. You should have mentioned that earlier :)

I'll have to look at my library tonight and see if I could tackle that. I imagine some bands like Redemption, Falconer, Ayreon, Savatage, and Circus Maximus would be on that list too.

Steve in Philly

P.S. - I'm sure it was an oversight, but you left 'St. Anger' off that list. That should slide somewhere into the top 6, right?

You know what .. I've never listened to St. Anger ... not even once. I never even bothered to download it. For whatever reason I was never interested in hearing it. I did give them a shot with Death Magentic ... it's decent, although I haven't reached for it in a long time.

Britt

#8 Jag Panzer - Thane To The Throne (2000) - Jag Panzer has several top discs, but for me this is #1. It's the most epic in scale .. taking on Shakepeare's Macbeth with winning results.

Britt

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

One of the very few conceptual albums that doesn't sound like a conceptual album (i.e. most of the songs can stand-alone). The Dark Saga (Iced Earth) is another rarity in that regard.

Invisible Guest - Some nice albums there, though your taste is much more prog than mine. I also posted mine on PMX2 back in late 09. Here is the top 15 copy-pasted.

15. Firewind - Between Heaven and Hell
The debut Firewind album is perhaps their heaviest. Featuring the brilliantly powerful vocals of Stephen Frederick.

14. Sabaton - Primo Victoria
A rip roaring power metal album with anthems galore about 20th century war.

13. Lost Horizon - Awakening the World
Many people prefer the debut to the follow up but for me it's easily the other way although the debut in itself is something to behold as it hits like a ton of bricks.

12. Thunder Rider - Tales of Darkness and Light Chapter II
Totally left field and epic underground metal here from this obscure Canadian bunch. I just totally love the songs here and especially the totally brilliant and bizarre vocals of John Blackwing, the band leader. I should play this more often!

11. Alter Bridge - Blackbird
Another modern rock entry of outstanding depth from ex Creed guys with the soaring vocals of Myles Kennedy. Worth it for the totally mesmerising title track alone.

10. Rage - Soundchaser
Probably my fav Rage album ever. Just a great bunch of tunes and very heavy to boot.

9. Firewind - The Premonition
Firecracker shredding power metal with awesome vocals and songs to die for.

8. Shinedown - The Sound of Madness
A very high entry for this modern rock combo who made an astonishing album last year. Superb vocals and a massive production help elevate this record to some serious epic highs in terms of memorable song writing.

7. Helloween - The Dark Ride
My favourite Helloween album although Gambling is not far behind. Just a great bunch of tunes and not so happy anymore!

6. Astral Doors - Evil is Forever
My fave AD disk featuring many songs that give me huge goosebumps with the legendary vocals of Mr Johannsson of course.

5. Powerwolf - Bible of the Beast
Probably my second favourite power metal act behind Sabaton. This year's Bible is a hammer of gigantic proportions.

4. Wuthering Heights - Far From the Madding Crowd
Wonderful folky power metal band with the amazing vocals of Nils Patrick Johannsson who makes his highest appearance on the list.

3. Sabaton - The Art of War
Their best album for me and the others also make the list so you can see how highly I rate this band. Probably my favourite power metal band in the world today

2. Falconer - st
A superlative and wondrous melodic power metal debut with awesome baritone vocals and songs to remember till your dying day.

1. Lost Horizon - A Flame to the Ground Beneath
A monument of epic, self empowering melodic power metal with Godlike vocals from Daniel Heiman. Can't be bettered in my book!

I knew I would forget one that should have been in my top 15. Actually a top 10 disc for me. Let's put it at #7, and move the others down one slot. Nightingale - Invisible (2004) - My favorite of the Nightingale discs. For me it's the strongest from start to finish, and is so catchy from track to track. The final track is one of Nightingale's best & most epic ... the excellent, Stalingrad !

Britt

Now here is a thread that will be almost impossible to answer accurately. Top 10 cd's of all time would be easier, just thinking back on the cds you always go back to in a pinch

#1 Nevermore - Dreaming Neon Black (2000) - Nevermore's most progressive disc and as far as I am concerned it's their greatest achievement. Dark and diverse .. memorable song after song .. a classic.

#3 Kamelot - The Fourth Legacy (2000) - It's still my favorite Kamelot disc, and I think it's their most diverse work. This disc just takes you on a wild journey ... from the coast line of Ireland to the Arabian sands, to King Arthur's court and then on to the Inquisition. It's also got a fantastic final track in .. Lunar Sanctum which is
my favorite Kamelot tune.

I know this is a little bit nitpicky as 99 and 00 are so close, but Dreaming Neon Black and The Fourth Legacy were 1999 releases. Great albums of course, but _technically_ do not qualify. Just thought I'd point it out, the list still works though, even if I don't agree with all the calls. :)

Yeah .. I think you are right. Some sources say 2000 for both of those releases, but I think technically they are 1999 releases. Thanks for pointing it out. I would ammend my list as follows.

#1 Symphony X - The Odyssey (2002)
#2 Vanden Plas - Christ 0 (2006)
#3 Deadsoul Tribe - A Murder Of Crows (2003)
#4 Ark - Burn The Sun (2001)
#5 King Diamond - The Puppet Master (2003)
#6 Jag Panzer - Thane To The Throne (2000)
#7 Nightingale - Invisble (2004)
#8 Wolverine - Still (2006)
#9 Evergrey - In Search Of Truth (2001)
#10 Pagan's Mind - Celestial Entrance (2002)
#11 Amorphis - Eclipse (2006)
#12 Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor (2006)
#13 Jag Panzer - Casting The Stones (2004)
#14 Mercenary - 11 Dreams (2004)
#15 Slough Feg - Traveller (2003)

Britt

15. Homesick for Space - ...Please Continue (2007)

14. Between the Buried and Me - Colors (2007)

13. Zero Hour - The Towers of Avarice (2001)
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD9cGqdBQOs&feature=related[/ame]

12. Anathallo - Floating World (2006)

11. Protest the Hero - Fortress (2008)

10. The Dear Hunter - Act III: Life and Death (2009)

9. dredg - El Cielo (2002)

8. The Dear Hunter - Act I: The Lake South, The River North (2006)

7. Streetlight Manifesto - Somewhere in the Between (2007)

6. Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane (2002)

5. Protest the Hero - Kezia (2006)

4. Oceansize - Frames (2007)

3. Circus Maximus - Isolate (2007)

2. The Dear Hunter - Act II: The Meaning of and All Things Regarding Ms. Leading (2007)

1. Pain of Salvation - The Perfect Element Pt. 1 (2000)

Last edited by a moderator:
I could have trimmed this to 15, but I think all 20 deserve to be on my list. Plus, making the decisions on which to cut would have been harder than making the list.

1. Mercenary- 11 Dreams: Replaced "Pain Killer" as my ideal of what a Metal album should be.

2. Ensiferum- S/T: Excellent Pagan Metal. "Victory Songs" is another favorite.

3. Turisas- Battle Metal: More excellent Pagan Metal. Their live shows are some of the best I've ever been to. I only own 2 Metal DVD’s, and Turisas is one of them.

4. Sabaton- The Art of War: A neck breaker from start to finish. Edges out "Attero" and "Primo Victoria" to make my list.

5. Powerwolf- Bible of the Beast: Sabaton’s evil twins. Flying under the radar, but making an impression in Europe I think. “Bible” made it on to the German charts, and they had a packed crowd at Wakken. "Lupus Dei" was good also.

6.Crimfall- As the Path Unfolds: Nightwish with balls. Definitely looking forward to the follow-up.

7. The Black Symphony- Tears of Blood: The most criminally unnoticed album EVER. Ric Plamondon's vox are awesome on this disc. They had a shot, but couldn't stay stable long enough.

8. Bloodbound- Nosferatu: Straight ahead fun Power Metal. Catchy tunes with Urban's crunchy vox.

9. Angra- Temple of Shadows: Proof that Angra can just plain kick ass if they want to. I wish they'd do it more often.

10. Brainstorm- Soul Temptation: If you were at PPUSA V you'll understand.

11. Firewind- Burning Earth: Stephen Frederick is the most powerful of their revolving door of singers. Chitty Sampora was their most diverse, but Frederick gives this album and the debut much more of a punch than anything they've done since.

12. Grave Digger- Rheingold: Yeah, yeah, yeah. An acquired taste, and unpalatable to many. Don't care. Love it.

13. Kiuas- Reformation: Barely edges out "The Spirit of Ukko” to make the list. They’ve gone down hill since then. Hopefully the new CD will be a return to form.

14. Raintime- Flies and Lies: Throwing the horns at your cats in perfectly understandable when this album is cued up. “Tales from Sadness” has much the same effect.

15. Therion- Lemuria/Sirius B: Is it cheating listing both? My copies came in a set, so I’m doing it. Soaring, symphonic, crunchy, operatic, goodness.

16. Wintersun- Wintersun: A spin-off from Ensiferum, which rivals the parent band.

17. Morgana Lefay- Grand Materia: A departure from their normal style, and I actually like better.

19. Primal Fear- Seven Seals: A crossroads album marking a change from their older frantic pace to their new upper mid tempo style. This album has a great blend of both.

20. Disturbed- The Sickness: I’m a fan of the “Monkey fuck howls.” Can’t help it. Totally infectious.

I know this is a little bit nitpicky as 99 and 00 are so close, but Dreaming Neon Black and The Fourth Legacy were 1999 releases. Great albums of course, but _technically_ do not qualify. Just thought I'd point it out, the list still works though, even if I don't agree with all the calls. :)

Damn it, you beat me to it! I'm usually the excessively-anal release-year police! :) But I suppose I can still point out that while 2000 - 2009 is a decade, "the" decade is technically 2001 - 2010. So there! :)

2000-2009
1) Therion: Lemuria/Syrius B
2) Falconer (s/t)
3)Wuthering Heights: Far from the Madening Crowd
4) Rhapsody: Dawn of Victory
5) Symphony X; V
6) Luca Turilli: Prophet of the Last Eclipse
7) Lost Horizon: A Flame to the Ground Below
8) Avantasia: The Metal Opera-I
9) Dragonforce: Valley of the Damned
10) Avantasia: The Metal Opera-II
11) Yngwie Malmstenn: Concerto Suite
12) Dream Theatre: Train of Thought
13) Sonata Arctica: Ecliptica
14) Angra: Temple of Shadows
15) Kamelot: Karma

Tough to pick top 15 of the last ten years. I will go by how much I still play these, I suppose........

1) Vanden Plas - Christ-0. This band can do no wrong. Awesome CD.
2) Pagan's Mind - Celestial Entrance. If VP were out of the mix, this may be my fave band. Last release was a little disappointing, but the middle two were monsters.
3) Vanden Plas - Beyond Daylight. Brilliant release, by the brilliant band.
4) Tad Morose - Modus Vivendi. Tough to decide between this and MotD. Both were excellent.
5) Tad Morose - Matters of the Dark. I was depressed when Urban left TM. What a great band they were.
6) Avalon - Eurasia. I think this is Chity's best work. Great album.
7) Evenescence - Fallen. That was a magical release. Great songs across the board.
8) Leatherwolf - Worl Asylum. Wish this lineup could have continued. Good stuff.
9) Sieges Even - The art of Navigating by the Stars. Best prog rock band on the planet. Too bad they split
10) Angra - Rebirth. Angra is a strange band for me. None of their other releases would make a top 100 of mine, but this one is awesome.
11) Goo Goo Dolls - Gutterflower. THis one wasn't quite as good as Dizzy, but still an excellent release by Rzeznik and crew.
12) Bloodbound - Tabula Rasa. Hate that this line-up is gone. Great disc. Some of the best harmony vocals out there.
13) Pagan's Mind - Enigmatic Calling. This actually would be higher on my list, but I forgot about it and don't want to change the numbers.
14) Angel Dust - "Enlighten the Darkness." This wasn't as good as "Bleed" but still a great release.
15) Redemption - "The Fullness of Time." Still my fave release of this stellar band.

Bryant

1.Ayreon-The Human Equation
2.Seventh Wonder-Mercy Falls
3.The Dear Hunter-Act III
4.Frost*-Milliontown
5.Pagan's Mind-Enigmatic Calling
6.Sieges Even-The Art of Navigating By the Stars
7.Ark-Burn the Sun
8.Protest the Hero-Fortress
9.Devin Townsend-Terria
10.Imogen Heap-Speak for Yourself
11.Mercenary-11 Dreams
12.Soilwork-Natural Born Chaos
13.Alter Bridge-Blackbird
14.Ra-Duality
15.Avantasia-The Scarecrow

tried to stick to one entry per artist.....at least another 15-20 could have made the list