Top 19 of 2009...

ND are not doom either.
Sure, some of their earlier work has doom passages and structures, but come on...........

Slow and down tuned does NOT equal doom.

That's getting VERY generic and rather loose with the term.

Fuck, you guys get defensive if someone calls DragonForce power metal for cripes sake! :lol:

I think I said this in the similar argument a couple months back, but I think the thing with me moreso is that MDB was the first band I got into in this genre after I read a review of "A Line of Deathless Kings" in Revolver, calling them doom. After that, I got into them and then continued looking for other doom bands, so in that regard is sorta why it's weird for me to not consider them doom. You make good points to the contrary though.

So I log in, check to see if I got any responses, and see a conversation on Doom has broken out. Ironic, because as I point out, I don't care for Doom. That said, I think I both agree and disagree with with Jasonic. My Dying Bride have always been rooted in Doom, but have never really been straight up Doom. However, if someone was asking to describe the makeup of MDB's sound, I would think Doom would be the primary ingredient. And if we can in fact agree ton that, than we're really just arguing percentages. However, if Jasonic would like to state Doom isn't the primary ingredient, I'd be curious to hear what he thinks is.

As for Novembers Doom Jason... have they turned down tours in the U.S.? What I mean is, I'm sure they could do a self-financed tour, playing to 30 people a night. However, have they turned down any significant opening slots on decent tours?

As for To/Die/For, never heard of them. That said Brian, go ahead and give that Voyager release a try. I think it's stellar, hence its rating.

With regard to all the Hypocrisy suggestions... thanks... I'll start working my way backwards.

Amorphis - Skyforger

The reemergence of Amorphis has been a fascinating thing to witness. After a very impressive 14 year run, it seemed the band was simply out of ideas. Enter Tomi Joutsen. I can't recall another band being reborn, after replacing a singer, as Amorphis has. Still, 2009 offered a significant hurdle for the band, as Amorphis seemed primed to contract a serious case of DTS (Dark Tranquillity Syndrome... the afflicted release the same material year after year, changing only the album title and the artwork). However, Amorphis stepped up and delivered a disc that just may be their best work to date. While not altogether different than Eclipse or Silent Waters, the songs contained within are simply better. Their unique blending of Heathen, Folk, Prog and Death Metal elements, driven by a heightened sense of songwriting sophistication, yields a formula few can equal.

Totally agree here. I think this may actually now be my favorite Amorphis disc, though Eclipse still holds a special place in my heart due to it being the first album I heard from them.

I

Pathosray - Sunless Skies

This is a truly wonderful Prog Metal release; beautiful melodies, lots of variation, great vocals, and superb instrumentation. It's one of those releases that is hard to imagine any fan of Prog Metal not enjoying. It’s one flaw is that the disc ultimately feels safe. These guys are clearly great musicians, who have absorbed much of what their predecessors had to offer. It feels like they should be pushing boundaries, not confining themselves within them. When I listen to Pathosray, I get a sense that they could be the next Ark. And I don't mean that they have the potential to sound like Ark. Rather, they seem to have the tools required to shake the pillars of the genre. I hope they get there.

I don't get this. I've said it before and I'll say it again on here...I absolutely HATE this disc. I felt that it was completely uninspired and just dull, unlike their debut which I thought was brilliant.

Lamb of God – Wrath

I can't help but think that if Lamb of God were a bunch of long-haired Swedes, they'd get a lot more love from the "underground". Unfortunately, being stamped as part of the New Wave of American Heavy Metal is akin to a scarlet letter that keeps the band at arms length from "true" Metal fans. Regardless, after the lackluster Sacrament, LoG return to form with a slab of pure Metal. Aside from the passion and intensity with which LoG deliver their music, I especially appreciate the biting social commentary. Great art should be a mirror, and this one reflects the uncomfortable realities of the real world.

This one was a grower for me. At first I wasn't that impressed but then it really clicked. I do have a question for you though Zod. What is so lackluster about Sacrament. I found it to be one of their best if not their best. Was it just too polished for your liking?

Manimal - The Darkest Room

Sometimes the best way to describe a band is to describe what they aren't. Manimal isn't very original. Manimal isn't replete with brilliant musicians. Manimal isn't destined for stardom. And let's face it, Manimal wasn't even capable of choosing a decent band name. It would seem the only thing Manimal is capable of is writing songs that kick serious ass. As I've alluded to, there's nothing groundbreaking going on here. However, when you write songs this catchy, that are this much fun, who needs the shackles of originality? This is one of those discs best suited for a warm summer day, with the car windows rolled down, the stereo on 10, and the folks in the adjacent car disapprovingly rolling their eyes at your chosen volume level. Fuck'em. This disc rips.

Tried listening to this one when Glenn mentioned it. I don't get it, but everyone has different tastes.

Devin Townsend Project – Ki

Although I own most of Devin's catalog, I wouldn't consider myself a "big fan". I typically end up picking up his CDs because I absolutely love a song or two on the disc, but not the whole disc. For me, Ki is his most consistent offering. It achieves a perfect balance between flow, variety and eccentricity.

Agree with this being his most consistent, but it is not my favorite. Weird, huh? I find that to be Synchestra.

Riverside - Anno Domini High Definition

Yet another great band chained to their distinct sound, unable to accomplish much beyond reproducing inferior versions of previous works. Unlike Rapid Eye Movement, which mostly seemed like Second Life Syndrome Part Deux, Riverside has at least attempted to revitalize their sound with a few new elements. Unfortunately, these new elements don't really add anything to the atmosphere, and instead serve only to weaken the end result.

Interesting you think that. I find this to be their best disc. There's just something about the atmosphere on this disc that hits the right note for me.

As for most of the rest of your list, I'm going to have to check out. Thanks for a nice handful of bands though I hadn't heard of. I always like finding new ones.

As always, excellent write up. You have a great feel for the music coupled with a way with words.

A couple of thoughts as I read your reviews

I had to decipehering each one to decide which has growling vocals.

Amorphis is a band I never looked into before PP. Now they're one of my favorites. I love Skyforger

Voyager's disc keeps finding it's way back to my player. Great music.

I really like Future's End at PP. I went and bought the CD. Yet, I haven't given it enough listens. I'll rectify that.

A couple of things that you left off the list:

Bloodbound - Tabula Rasa. Urban singing. Catchy songs. What's not to like?

Illusion Suite - Final Hour. Again, nothing spectacularly new, but very well done. I put this right up with Voyager.

Mastodon - Crack The Skye I still haven't been bitten by this band, but CtS isn't a bad disc. However, the way everyone else has raved about it, I figured it would make it to your top list.

Thanks for taking the time!

Steve in Philly

So I log in, check to see if I got any responses, and see a conversation on Doom has broken out. Ironic, because as I point out, I don't care for Doom. That said, I think I both agree and disagree with with Jasonic. My Dying Bride have always been rooted in Doom, but have never really been straight up Doom. However, if someone was asking to describe the makeup of MDB's sound, I would think Doom would be the primary ingredient. And if we can in fact agree ton that, than we're really just arguing percentages. However, if Jasonic would like to state Doom isn't the primary ingredient, I'd be curious to hear what he thinks is.

As for Novembers Doom Jason... have they turned down tours in the U.S.? What I mean is, I'm sure they could do a self-financed tour, playing to 30 people a night. However, have they turned down any significant opening slots on decent tours?

re: MDB conversation - Yeah,totally can be split into percentages. I think I said it before that doom may be at the core, but when you get into overall instrumentation and lyrics, it extends far beyond doom. Once again, just my opinion.

re: ND - You know I am close to these boys, so I can not really get into specifics. I am sure if you were to open this for discussion on the ND forum, the guys would probably speak freely on this subject. I do know that their primary focus isn't really on the US these days, given their recent success in Europe.

RE Redemption
This might seem like a really weird gripe but IMO the album is too long.
While I agree it's a long disc, I don't think that, in and of itself, is my issue with it. That said, I do think the length argument is a bit like the chicken and the egg debate. If the disc felt more compelling, it would also feel shorter, don't you agree?

I don't get this. I've said it before and I'll say it again on here...I absolutely HATE this disc. I felt that it was completely uninspired and just dull, unlike their debut which I thought was brilliant.
To date, I haven't spent much time with the debut. I checked them out when they were announced, thought enough of the music to buy it, but for whatever reason shelved it almost immediately.

I do have a question for you though Zod. What is so lackluster about Sacrament. I found it to be one of their best if not their best. Was it just too polished for your liking?
I'm an Andy Sneap fanboy, so polish is never my issue (with the possible exception of Black Metal). I can't point to any one characteristic and say, that's the reason why. For whatever reason, the songs didn't grab me. Perhaps I felt it was a backwards step from Ashes. I think I need to revisit.

Tried listening to this one when Glenn mentioned it. I don't get it, but everyone has different tastes.
Yeah... this is an instant listen. Given its nature, it's either going to be in your homerun swing for Power Metal or not. For me, it just works. But I'm not at all surprised that it doesn't for others.

Interesting you think that. I find this to be their best disc. There's just something about the atmosphere on this disc that hits the right note for me.
The one common theme with my "disappointments", is that none of them were bad discs. Unlike a Monday Morning Apocalypse, which I thought was complete shit, each of these releases were quality releases. And if these discs were debuts, they likely would have been in my Top 10. However, each of these bands have begun to repeat themselves in a big way. I can't see myself ever reaching for any of these discs, when I'm in the mood for any of these bands.

As always, excellent write up. You have a great feel for the music coupled with a way with words.
Thanks for the kind words.

Voyager's disc keeps finding it's way back to my player. Great music.
Yeah... it's just a fun, well done piece of music.

I really like Future's End at PP. I went and bought the CD. Yet, I haven't given it enough listens. I'll rectify that.
Definitely.

A couple of things that you left off the list:

Bloodbound - Tabula Rasa. Urban singing. Catchy songs. What's not to like?
Not a bad disc, just not in my Top 20. Urban, as always, sounds awesome.

Illusion Suite - Final Hour. Again, nothing spectacularly new, but very well done. I put this right up with Voyager.
As you said, nothing new. However, for me, the songs just don't do it. I'm sure I'll revisit before the fest.

Mastodon - Crack The Skye I still haven't been bitten by this band, but CtS isn't a bad disc. However, the way everyone else has raved about it, I figured it would make it to your top list.
If the list went to 25, this would have made it. I was very high on it upon its release, but it faded for me quickly.

re: MDB conversation - Yeah,totally can be split into percentages. I think I said it before that doom may be at the core, but when you get into overall instrumentation and lyrics, it extends far beyond doom.
Agreed.

re: ND - You know I am close to these boys, so I can not really get into specifics. I am sure if you were to open this for discussion on the ND forum, the guys would probably speak freely on this subject. I do know that their primary focus isn't really on the US these days, given their recent success in Europe.
Understood. I'll post something over there.

While I agree it's a long disc, I don't think that, in and of itself, is my issue with it. That said, I do think the length argument is a bit like the chicken and the egg debate. If the disc felt more compelling, it would also feel shorter, don't you agree?

I do. Yesterday I listened to a jazz album with a 70-minute playing time that went by like a half hour because it was just so damn good top to bottom. (This is not a jazz>prog metal statement, it just happens that the album was a jazz album and made a good example.) So yes a great, long album can feel shorter.

As to why the newest Redemption doesn't fit this description, I'll mention that in my previous post I had typed out and then deleted a paragraph about how Snowfall, being the band's fourth album (and the third highly-acclaimed album) is what prevents it from making the same impression. We were surprised by Fullness, and psyched on Origins, but by the time you get to a third album in the same style, even if the quality is maintained, it just has no chance of making the same impact. Shuffle the order of the past three albums around and whichever one comes first would probably be regarded as the favorite. I backspaced that out because I figured I was just making a really obvious point, but here it is again in re-typed version :)

What I can't really speak to is your observation about older fans not being so into Snowfall while newer fans come on board. I just don't know. Maybe a *guess* would be that Snowfall is the first album to be released after their highest-profile tour to date (supporting DT in 2007, after the release of Origins), so a large number of new fans who came in due to that tour were waiting specifically for this one.

Shuffle the order of the past three albums around and whichever one comes first would probably be regarded as the favorite. I backspaced that out because I figured I was just making a really obvious point, but here it is again in re-typed version :)

Not for me. I had the first two disc before getting Origins, and neither of them did much for me. Origins really resonated with me. I like Snowfall a lot, but it seems that the album starts strong and then peters out. It's not that the songs are weaker, just less captivating. I have no idea why I think that though. I've since gone back to Fullness and revisited it, and it still does very little for me.

We were surprised by Fullness, and psyched on Origins, but by the time you get to a third album in the same style, even if the quality is maintained, it just has no chance of making the same impact. Shuffle the order of the past three albums around and whichever one comes first would probably be regarded as the favorite. I backspaced that out because I figured I was just making a really obvious point, but here it is again in re-typed version :)
I suspect you're dead on.

What I can't really speak to is your observation about older fans not being so into Snowfall while newer fans come on board. I just don't know. Maybe a *guess* would be that Snowfall is the first album to be released after their highest-profile tour to date (supporting DT in 2007, after the release of Origins), so a large number of new fans who came in due to that tour were waiting specifically for this one.
The people I was referring to, who jumped on board with Snowfall, were familiar with their previous releases. Which is precisely why it makes no sense.

Not for me. I had the first two disc before getting Origins, and neither of them did much for me. Origins really resonated with me.
Although I thought Fullness was fantastic, Origins is my favorite as well.

It's not that the songs are weaker, just less captivating.
This. However, I plan to revisit in a few months, and see if I don't come away with a different sense, absent of the absurdly high expectations.

I decided to wait a few months, after the year had ended, to put together my list. It seems I always discover a bunch of discs, right at year end, after reading the Top X lists of others.

Red Circuit – Homeland

The simple description is... Vanden Plas with bigger stones. However, such a simple description fails to adequately assess just how good this disc is. The songs are catchy, but not so much so that you quickly tire of them. For whatever reason, Chitty's vocal have never really resonated with me. However, on this disc I find him to be the primary selling point. Similar to Pathosray, I'd love to see these guys experiment a bit more. This is a genre that’s being suffocated by "me too" bands. Red Circuit is clearly on the cusp of becoming an elite band. They merely need to trust their instincts and take a leap of faith, trusting they won't land on safe ground, and instead will release something that establishes them as a true force in the genre.

Nice post Zod. I am a big fan of Chitty and have been for some time. I really like the vocals of Red Circuit, but the rest of the band is not on par with Chitty. To me, the 2000 release of Avalon Eurasia is the best Chitty was on and by a good bit in my ears.
Having said that..... I still like the disc and hope they will progress a bit more as songwriters/musicians and stay together. Chitty seems to rotate bands and members about as much as Yngwie Malmsteen. If Chitty can get some consistancy with his band, I think the sky could be the limit. I dont (pardon the fact I cant find the apostrophe as this is a Japanese keyboard) know how much Stephan Lill was involved in this release, but he certainly didnt play any guitar parts. I find the music to sort of all blend together, though the hooks of the songs are good. Looking forward to the next release.....

Bryant

We are truly honored to be in such fine company, Zod! Thanks so much! That is truly amazing!

Christian
Futures End