Top 20 of 2009

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
I used to do a Top 20 list on a regular basis. I stopped it for several years because the festival politics always seem to come into play. I don't know if that has changed much, but fuck it. I'm getting too old to care.

20. Leprous- Tall Poppy Syndrome: I do not consider myself a fan of extreme prog, but I did keep coming back to this. The obvious Opeth comparisons aside, I thought the blend of brutality and 70's prog & jazz worked rather well. If I could get past the dip your balls in sulfuric acid vocals at times, it would have been much higher on the list.

19. Heaven & Hell- The Devil You Know: Iommi proves that he is still a Riffian God with some truly magical moments throughout the disc. Unfortunately, he & the rest of the geriatric gang can't drive past 55 for fear of breaking a hip. Even with that limitation, the disc is worth it alone just to hear Dio pound your soul with the first chorus to "Bible Black."

18. Riverside- Anno Domini High Definition: Ok, let's get my Twilight fangirl-like obsession with Mariusz's vocals out of the way first. He rules. That said, this is my fake stoner relaxation disc of the year. I never pay attention to it all the way through, but love the bits & pieces I pick up along the way when I do. It's about as close to prog rock as I can get as I don't want to give up my man card.

17. House of Lords- Cartesian Dreams: It was a banner year for melodic rock. James still sounds smooth as velvet after 20+ years. The title track is huge. Yes, the lyrics suck ass at times on the rest of the disc. However, this is HOUSE OF LORDS. What did you expect? I still sing along with most of the tunes and that's what counts.

16. Manimal- The Darkest Room: Let's get the obvious out of the way first. The high pitched vocals could make or break this disc for you. He is a bitch banshee folks...but a good one. It's melodic power metal that is both heavy & catchy. Screw keyboards.

15. Winger- Karma: You know that Kip wakes up every morning hoping to run into Mike Judge and kick him square in the nuts. It's just not fair. They have put out quality releases time after time and the morons won't even give them a chance. This has more of the fantastic "Pull" vibe. Kip sounds amazing (almost as good as Conversation..). Open your mind folks and enjoy some amazing melodic rock.

14. Savage Circus- Of Doom & Death: There is not one damn original thing on this disc. This is pure early Blind Guardian cloning..and I have no problem with that. I defy anyone to describe this disc any other way. I tell those that love BG and hate SC to quit their bitching and enjoy the music for what it is instead of what it isn't.

13. Pearl Jam- Backspacer: The third best disc in their discography behind the first two releases. They brought back the hook that's been missing lately while retaining a punk edge. "Just Breathe" is their most emotional song since "Black." I just can't help but think of my Dad when I hear it. They remain the best live band on the planet as evidenced by their constantly changing setlist and 3 hour shows.

12. Southern Cross- Down Below: I love the dark, Evergrey vibe on this disc right down to the guitar tone and atmospheric keys. They also have a rather unique vocalist that helps separate them from the pack. It's dramatic, punchy, and flows fantastically. Fans of prog with balls should be all over this.

11. Appearance of Nothing- Wasted Time: It's been a good year for new "old" prog. This is basically Superior (perhaps shades of Vanden Plas) meets Shadow Gallery. It's crunchy & melodic with just enough complexity to satisfy the snob side. However, it's the great vocal harmonies that push it over the edge. They sound Kansas natural as opposed to the robotic Shadow Gallery style.

10. Whyzdom- From the Brink of Infinity: The most bombastic disc of the year. It is simply epic with monster orchestrations along with an epic choir. The production simply jumps out of the speakers. Telya gives the best female vocal performance of the year also. She is powerful and clear, yet able to wrap it with just enough softness to put her in a different league from all the little girls out there. If you are a fan of Nightwish and don't already have this disc, you suck.

9. Vangough- Mankin Parade: If you jumped off the Pain of Salvation ship a few discs ago, I invite you to return home. This is inspired progressive metal that wanders all over the map. It's not overly complex, but hard as hell to figure out if that makes sense. What I like is that they inject a bit of a modern edge into the overall flow as well. If you don't have an open mind (Hip Hop elements!), then move along...nothing to hear...

8. Alice in Chains- Black Gives Way to Blue: The "It's not Chains without Layne" folks can shut the hell up. I also don't buy into the Jerry solo disc argument either. What I loved about the band has all returned. The bluesy riffing, the catchy hooks, and the haunting vocal harmonies. William may not be Layne, but he fills the shoes quite adequately.

7. Cain's Offering- Gather the Faithful: It's been an average year for power metal. There have been some solid releases (Primal Fear, Rage, etc). However, there have not been many that have blown me out of the water. This disc did. When Sonata took a left, I took a right. It feels so good to hear those warm & speedy arrangements with huge choruses. Jani is just a fantastic songwriter and Timo gives his best vocal performance in years.

6. Crimfall- As the Path Unfolds... : Bombastic beauty & the beast metal. What makes it work is the combination of the Nightwish type orchestrations with the folk elements. It also helps when your harsh vocals are from the seventh layer of Dante's Hell. They maintain a hook as well which is something that most bands of this style forget (I'm looking at you Epica!).

5. W.E.T. - W.E.T. : I'm reminded of the cheesy radio line from youth, "All killer..no filler." That's the truth. It's quite simply one of the best melodic rock releases of the past decade. Hell, MelodicRock.com gave it 100% on their review. When you combine Jeff Scott Soto with fabulous song-writers, you get pure bliss.

4. Amorphis- Skyforger: This band has been perfect for me over the past three releases. This may sound odd, but they "groove" better than anyone. They have that signature somber tone, but rocking chorus style. There is less death elements than in the past (yeah..hush) and that's just fine with me as this is exactly the sound I want from the band.

3. Redemption- Snowfall on Judgment Day: I've watched all the manlove for Nick over the past few releases and thought "Kudos." However, as much as I enjoyed the past few releases, there has always been something missing for me. I could never figure out if it was Ray's vocal style or the lack of a true hook. Well, I didn't have to worry about either this time around. Instead of speaking along with Ray, I can now sing along with him. That makes a HUGE difference. "Walls" is the perfect example of a hook that I crave in my prog metal.

2. Mob Rules- Radical Peace: This was my biggest shocker of the year. The band went from very good to elite with this release. Even the power metal haters have acknowledged that this is something special. From the epic riffing of the opening track to the glorious old-school Edguy influence in "Astal Hand," the band just doesn't let up. The punch is there and the keys give it a true progpower vibe. It also helps that my song of the year is on here. "The Oswald File" is 18 minutes of fucking awesomeness. It's a mini-Mindcrime. Don't miss this one.

1. Diablo Swing Orchestra- Sing Along Songs for the Damned & Delirious: My formula for choosing the #1 disc of the year is simple. It's what I played the most. I absolutely love everything about how original this disc is. If it can appeal to me, the progpower faithful, and grandmothers who don't even listen to music, then the band has done something right. It's an absolute crime that more people aren't aware of this disc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice that I actually knew of most of them.....and have some of them...lol.
2 or 3 I need to look into.
Thanks!!!

We had the same album came in at #1. DSO blew my mind at the festival. I listen to "Sing Along Songs..." all the time. If I am trying to decide what to listen to, I play that album because I know that I'll be entertained. I am always trying to talk them up to people from all over the musical map. Metal fans, "avant garde" music fans, whatever... if they have a love for strange but still listenable music, I try to push this on them. Not just one of the best of the year for me, but best of the decade. Geniuses.

Amorphis' "Skyforger" falls on my list somewhere as well. I agree with everything you've said, and their past three albums have been excellent. My only sticking point with "Skyforger" is "Majestic Beast," which is more Opeth-influenced than a band of their legacy should be. I love Opeth (even now), but Amorphis doesn't need to be influenced by them. But those bang the rafters choruses on "Silver Bride" and the title track grab me every single time.

Awesome post Glenn!

I love JSS on just about anything, but had a real hard time liking the W.E.T.
I REALLY tried....This is eclipsed by having DSO as your #1. I too seem to be playing this disc a lot since thie fest, and I always have both their cds in the car at all times...If I forget to bring cds with me, I never have to say, Oh crap, all I have is a couple of DSO discs to listen to... :) I don't have a top 20or even a top 10 tabulated, but my #1 & #2 are Freak Kitchen's Land Of The Freaks (yeah, yeah, yeah, still swingin' :lol:) & DSO's Sing Along Songs For The Damned & Delirious.

Merry Christmas, Boss!:headbang:

J-Dub, your avatar *still* makes me laugh!

~Jen

If it can appeal to me, the progpower faithful, and grandmothers who don't even listen to music, then the band has done something right. It's an absolute crime that more people aren't aware of this disc.

I dunno man, my grandmother is pretty damn cool. She's definitely a Swing-shot Southern Bell grown up with North-East coast tolerance. You may need a bigger sample. :lol:

Though I have to agree, this was my #1 disc as well, but I think I bought 4 this year.

Appearance of Nothing- Wasted Time was released in '08. At least, that's when l got my copy. Great prog metal with Dream Theater/Vanden Plas feel.

And yet even more new stuff I didn't catch during the year. From the samples I've heard of Crimfall, I already know that will get heavy play from me. Whyzdom as well. Thanks for the post!

This DSO album is a huge improvement from the previous. But on a first listen (today) I thought that the second half of the album was weaker. But maybe I was just getting tired of their sound by then. I'll have to listen to the second half first next time.

Some bands for me to check out on this list, which is what they are good for.

Thanks for posting. Devin's "Addicted" edged out the DSO as my #1 for the year, but the DSO is still awesome. And everyone I can get to listen to an entire CD of the band ends up loving them. More people need to hear this band!

dt

Nice. Thanks for the tip on Southern Cross I dig them... Alice in Chains is up high for me too, its such a great album... I am actually surprised that Status Minor - Dialog isn't on your list, they are ranking pretty high on my list this year again thanks to you... First I heard of Crimfall too, thanks for that one as well...

Bear